Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks. I've seen a few options to disable, and I like the vcm tuner, the upgraded model that you don't have to adjust, as my wife drives it mainly and she doesn't want to have to mess with it.

If there are better options out there I'm open to those also.
I also wanted something I didn't need to mess with since my wife usually drives it and likely wouldn't notice if the ECO light started coming back on.

I'm very happy with VCMTUNER II which I have had installed in my '07 Touring for 1 year and 15K miles. I started a thread on it which you might find useful: VCMTuner II

As far as price when shipping was factored in (Canada to US vs. Inter-US) it was only about $15 more expensive than the S-VCM as I recall which I felt was worth the extra capabilities. It came very quickly, and I found Brock Eastman who sells it was responsive to some E-mails I sent him.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update, dealer called and said they were done. Seems very fast to rebuild half the engine, they just started the work Friday afternoon, and I'm not sure how much they would work over the weekend, and done by noon Monday (today). Going to pick it up to note, probably going to pull all the plugs and check them, also I have a wifi endoscopic camera, going to check the cylinders also. I'm afraid that only replacing 1, 2 and 3, but may have issues with 4, 5 and 6. I'll update later.

·
Registered
360 Posts
5 and 6 are always running, 4 is only shutdown in 4-cylinder mode. 4/5/6 should be all good, no worries there.

There was a thread on here where a tech posted that the rebuild takes something like 6-8 hours of labor, so if they worked on it Saturday, it would likely be done today. (they would have to test drive, heat cycle, etc. along the way) Crazy fast, eh? I think they have plenty of practice at this point! :whistle:

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
It's possible that it got done that quickly. The techs who get these re-rings assigned to them get pretty practiced at it.

You don't have to worry about cylinders 5 and 6 - VCM2 doesn't operate on them. They fire all the time regardless and they don't get anything done to them. It's likely that the dealer tech had a look at cylinder 4.

Edit: @phattyduck beat me to it. He's bang-on correct. Don't worry.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks everyone for the support. They did say they were doing the test drive when he called me, so hope it turns out OK. I'm going to inspect the plugs and run the scope in each cylinder when I get it back tonight just for peice of mind. I'll update.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So got the car back tonight, everything seems to be running OK. Smooth idle, no issues I can feel thus far. As promised, i did pull each plug and inspect the plug and scoped the inside of the cylinders to see if they cleaned them as the procedure states. Cylinders 4, 5 and 6 were not affected and the original plugs looked good, piston heads were clean.
Cylinders 1, 2 and 3 new plugs looked good and the piston heads looked clean. The only issue I found were on Cylinder #1 (the one that started all this) the valves were a bit dirty and Cylinder #1 spark plug well had fresh oil inside. Not sure if the tech somehow got oil on the plug and it got in the well, or the gasket is leaking and oil is getting into the well.

I've posted a video of the plugs and scope of each cylinder if interested.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
That looks pretty good in there. Obviously it's hard to know where that bit of oil came from. You just need to watch it a bit and see if it's just a careless dribble or if something is leaking.

Now muzzle that sucker so that the new rings get broken in properly and this never happens to you again. If you don't have a VCM disable device yet, then just drive with a heavier foot to keep VCM from activating while the new rings break in. Enjoy the newly refreshed engine. 🙂

·
Registered
360 Posts
Now muzzle that sucker so that the new rings get broken in properly and this never happens to you again. If you don't have a VCM disable device yet, then just drive with a heavier foot to keep VCM from activating while the new rings break in. Enjoy the newly refreshed engine. 🙂
Agreed, but the problem is you can't properly coast with VCM engaged too, which is half the break-in process for the rings... They need to seal in both vacuum and compression.

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Agreed, but the problem is you can't properly coast with VCM engaged too, which is half the break-in process for the rings... They need to seal in both vacuum and compression.

-Charlie
That's a good point. I didn't mean for it to sound like a heavy foot was as good as muzzling; it really isn't for the reason you explained. But it's the next best thing I can think of to minimize the time VCM operates on a temporary basis.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That's a good point. I didn't mean for it to sound like a heavy foot was as good as muzzling; it really isn't for the reason you explained. But it's the next best thing I can think of to minimize the time VCM operates on a temporary basis.
Well the Vcm II came in today, got it installed and warmed up the engine to made sure no issues. Waiting for the wife to tell me how it works, but fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Good choice! Please keep us posted on what both you and your wife think of how the van runs now. 🙂

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Did the dealer hit you for any fees at all, or was the entire job covered?
Well, the first dealer that we went to after the cel came on the first time tried to charge me the $75 diag fee since the light went off on the way there, and they claimed they couldn't see the code, I told them I'm not paying it as I'm still under the powertrain warranty. I then took it to another dealer once the cel came back on again, and I had to pull teeth to get them to give me a loaner, and they told me if it wasn't covered under warranty, it would be a $175 diag fee. I had tons of evidence and photos ect, as I was expecting to have to fight them, but they called me and said it was all under warranty. In fact, they had 2 others in the shop for the exact issue, and I guess it's k own that the issue carried to the later year models, but no tsb for them yet.

They did try to sell me a $75 cabin filter and a $175 fuel cleaning service.. Oddly the same price as the diag fee lol. I declined both and bought an oem filter on Amazon for $12.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Thanks for the response, I'm glad you got it fixed under the warranty finally. I truly believe that a group is going to have to get together again and initiate another class action lawsuit against Honda to force them to admit fault and fix the failed VCM design in the later model years that are not covered in the original lawsuit. It seems when people post here with their VCM issues, that it's a roll of the dice if it will be covered or not depending on what dealership they bring their van to or what service manager they dealt with at the time, and that should not be the case. It should be made that any model with VCM issues such as yours is automatically covered in full, no questions asked, no jumping through hoops, no pleading with Honda corporate to get it fixed. There's got to be plenty of people who don't frequent these forums and just pay for the repair or sell/trade it at a loss because they don't have the time for Honda's games...

21 - 34 of 34 Posts