Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at times the D light is flashing and also the Battery light is comes on with all the door not closed lights also on. Along with it not wanting to shift out of park occasionally. When these lights are all on it does shift roughly. Could these be a bad neutral safety switch???
I am going to try the cable reset method and see if that helps.

PS the vehicle did sit for a number of months.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
A poor battery cable connection can cause this. Check the cables clamps for a good connection first. Pretty quick and free. Clean clamps and battery posts.
Low voltage causes all kinds of problems on an Odyssey. A failing, weak, or low-on-fluid battery can also similar problems.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
13,729 Posts
I bet, besides needing a new battery, the cable connection is loose. Do not cut it off and put one of those clamp on replacements! Instead, buy cheap lead shims that go over the battery post and allow the old cable connector to tighten. My 02 just needed this. I kept having low battery issues and the cable would get tightened and it would work for a while. The AAA guy used little slivers to help tighten my post when I called with a dead battery. A couple of weeks later I replaced the battery and used the caps. Much easier and cheaper than replacing the whole cable. (the only other proper solution)

If a fresh battery and good cable connections fix this, do the van a solid and change the trans fluid...

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
What is your idle speed?
Any chance you moved, shorted out or broke something when you changed the alternator?
Did you try the idle relearn procedure?
Do your brake lights work?
Reason is that if the fuse for the brake lights is bad, I don't believe you can shift out of Park either.
Same thing will happen if the brake switch goes bad or out of adjustment. Also the cruise control won't work.
You can always use the manual 'unlock' slot to get the shifter out of Park. Page 263 in the Owner's Manual
Simple to check and free, even if I am wrong.
Did you ever clean the battery posts and the clamps?
Buffalo4

1 - 5 of 5 Posts