Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 Odyssey and just recently started having the flashing D problem. I should mentioned, the first time it happened, the van was sluggish, I turned it off and restarted it and it seemed better but not perfect. However, I didn't drive it last weekend and went to work Mon-Wed. with no problems. I had actually forgot about it. It started flashing again yesterday morning, however, it drives fine. It hasn't flashed since yesterday morning.

I did take it in to be tested and it came back there is a faulty switch. Unfortunately, I don't know the code. I can call the shop and find out. The guy did say, that sometimes it's the switch and other times it's the trans. itself.

Just not sure what I should do since it seems to be driving well and the flashing D is so sporadic.

Any thoughts/similar experiences?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
How many miles since fluid was changed? Is it dark and smell burned. If not at the least have it changed and replace the switch. Possibly do a 3x change.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That hasn't happened on my Odyssey, but it did come on with my Ridgeline. Took it in to the dealer and it wound up being the 3rd gear solenoid. Easy fix, not sure on price as it was under warranty. Wait until it comes back on and take it in for interrogation. Mine started flashing again when I restarted and drove at highway speeds.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hi,

Today I noticed the flashing "D" on my 2007 Honda Odyssey as well. It just happens very short and it seems to appear when I accelerate. However its not a persistent issue. So today I able to reproduce it after accelerating. But it didn't happen all time. Current mileage is about 105000 miles. Today I drove 200 miles without any issues. The issue started shortly before arriving at home.

Two month ago the shaft seal and the complete ATF was replaced. Could the flashing "D" be related to the repairs?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi,

Today I noticed the flashing "D" on my 2007 Honda Odyssey as well. It just happens very short and it seems to appear when I accelerate. However its not a persistent issue. So today I able to reproduce it after accelerating. But it didn't happen all time. Current mileage is about 105000 miles. Today I drove 200 miles without any issues. The issue started shortly before arriving at home.

Two month ago the shaft seal and the complete ATF was replaced. Could the flashing "D" be related to the repairs?
same boat here, I suggest you check the ATF dipstick level and see if it is correct.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hi,

No other lights came on. Just the temporary flashing D

·
Registered
445 Posts
I remember on my 08 accord I got a flashing D and the cause was a faulty 3rd gear pressure switch. Did you happen to check for any codes?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have an appointment next Thursday.
Might be related to the 3rd gear. Because sometimes when I drive slower and the gear shifts down from 3rd to 2nd gear it's a bit rough

·
Registered
293 Posts
A year ago I bought the HH OBD Advanced ODB2 scan tool and just borrowed the Android phone from my dad and installed the App called "Torque Pro (OBD 2 & Car)". The tool said that there are no errors logged in the ECU. I hope / assume that If there would be a transmission issue it should have been listed there (?)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
A year ago I bought the HH OBD Advanced ODB2 scan tool and just borrowed the Android phone from my dad and installed the App called "Torque Pro (OBD 2 & Car)". The tool said that there are no errors logged in the ECU. I hope / assume that If there would be a transmission issue it should have been listed there (?)
I also just got an ODB bluetooth reader and tried various apps and it doesn't find any errors. A few weeks ago I pulled my VSA fuse on purpose for a different reason and got a bunch of VSA lights as well as flashing D while driving. With VSA fuse back in, all errors went away. Maybe the Check Engine Light (CEL) actually needs to be on to find errors.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I also just got an ODB bluetooth reader and tried various apps and it doesn't find any errors. A few weeks ago I pulled my VSA fuse on purpose for a different reason and got a bunch of VSA lights as well as flashing D while driving. With VSA fuse back in, all errors went away. Maybe the Check Engine Light (CEL) actually needs to be on to find errors.
no, CEL does not need to be on to read errors.
Simply put your OBD reader/app combination is not sophisticated enough to read manufacturer specific error codes.
There is OBD2 standard, which covers a basic set of errors that every car reports the same way.
Then every manufacturer has specific codes for their cars, which read transmission/vsa/abs/climate/tpms/airbags/multimedia/etc....
I recently upgraded to Autel MD802 all systems scanner. It can read all car systems, much like dealers systems can.
Unfortunately its not full blown bidirectional computer, you would have to step up way more in terms of price to get there.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
no, CEL does not need to be on to read errors.
Simply put your OBD reader/app combination is not sophisticated enough to read manufacturer specific error codes.
There is OBD2 standard, which covers a basic set of errors that every car reports the same way.
Then every manufacturer has specific codes for their cars, which read transmission/vsa/abs/climate/tpms/airbags/multimedia/etc....
I recently upgraded to Autel MD802 all systems scanner. It can read all car systems, much like dealers systems can.
Unfortunately its not full blown bidirectional computer, you would have to step up way more in terms of price to get there.
That's what I sort of figured.....my $5 Ebay scanner and free Android OBD Doctor app can't replace a $5000 computer. I noticed in my scanner that there are a number of code ranges such as "P1-P40" or something where you can see the binary output but it just shows as 000110000101000101010 etc. Are those a variety of manufacturer specific flags or something? Like "1" in the "P17" space means something vs "0" in that space but you need to know what it means for Honda specifically? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

When you say "full blown bidirectional computer" what does that mean? Does that mean your Autel can only read things but can't run any diagnostic routines on the systems etc? Can it even reset those errors?

I see Harbor Freight has some scanner tools for less than 100 bucks. Are these also "dumb" scanners I assume and really not worth much more in terms of utility than my current $5 Bluetooth/Android combo(that actually works by the way!!) ????

·
Registered
293 Posts
OK. Thanks. Certainly a $20 ODB2 scan tool will not replace the diagnostics system directly from the manufacturer. But I was hoping it's at least enough to check for any logged faults.

Anyway I have an appointment next Thursday and than Honda will (hopefully) tell me what is wrong. Today I took the car for a short test drive and the "D" was not flashing at all.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
That's what I sort of figured.....my $5 Ebay scanner and free Android OBD Doctor app can't replace a $5000 computer. I noticed in my scanner that there are a number of code ranges such as "P1-P40" or something where you can see the binary output but it just shows as 000110000101000101010 etc. Are those a variety of manufacturer specific flags or something? Like "1" in the "P17" space means something vs "0" in that space but you need to know what it means for Honda specifically? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

When you say "full blown bidirectional computer" what does that mean? Does that mean your Autel can only read things but can't run any diagnostic routines on the systems etc? Can it even reset those errors?

I see Harbor Freight has some scanner tools for less than 100 bucks. Are these also "dumb" scanners I assume and really not worth much more in terms of utility than my current $5 Bluetooth/Android combo(that actually works by the way!!) ????
every code has a specific meaning, there are plenty of internet resources that decode P codes. Yes every digit has a specific meaning.

My understanding that there are few levels of devices out there:
code readers - basic devices that is able to read/reset codes.
code scanners - more advance device that allows to actually view live data
bi-directional computers - which allow 2 way communication, i.e. you can view state of lets say EGR valve, and then command for it to turn on or off. Or be able to program security keys.
even those computers are not replacements for full blown dealer computers. Stuff like ECM/PCM programming may not be doable.
Autel Maxidas708 is an older version of the bi-directional computer. They now have Maxisys line of tablets.

The Autel md802 is advanced scanner, which communicates with most car's specific modules. But I can't command the car with it, to turn stuff on/off.
It is updatable though, and I constantly download manufacturer updates. It has also saved my butt a few times, where I had to figure out VSA/TCS
stuff on Honda's and Acura's.
I work on cars as a hobby on my free time, so in my case it was a worthwhile investment.
Just to give you an idea, any current car can have 20-30 modules each with their own codes. You reader reads only 1 of them.

Harbor Freight actually sells Autel stuff, they are made in China anyway. I can't speak to their functionality vs your BT scanner.
There is a way to manually trigger reading of Bxxxx codes on Honda, but its a hassle compared to using a scanner.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
every code has a specific meaning, there are plenty of internet resources that decode P codes. Yes every digit has a specific meaning.

My understanding that there are few levels of devices out there:
code readers - basic devices that is able to read/reset codes.
code scanners - more advance device that allows to actually view live data
bi-directional computers - which allow 2 way communication, i.e. you can view state of lets say EGR valve, and then command for it to turn on or off. Or be able to program security keys.
even those computers are not replacements for full blown dealer computers. Stuff like ECM/PCM programming may not be doable.
Autel Maxidas708 is an older version of the bi-directional computer. They now have Maxisys line of tablets.

The Autel md802 is advanced scanner, which communicates with most car's specific modules. But I can't command the car with it, to turn stuff on/off.
It is updatable though, and I constantly download manufacturer updates. It has also saved my butt a few times, where I had to figure out VSA/TCS
stuff on Honda's and Acura's.
I work on cars as a hobby on my free time, so in my case it was a worthwhile investment.
Just to give you an idea, any current car can have 20-30 modules each with their own codes. You reader reads only 1 of them.

Harbor Freight actually sells Autel stuff, they are made in China anyway. I can't speak to their functionality vs your BT scanner.
There is a way to manually trigger reading of Bxxxx codes on Honda, but its a hassle compared to using a scanner.
Thanks

My $5 bluetooth can see live data as long as it is coming from the OBD2 port. So I can watch throttle position or ECT or rpms or whatever in real time, updated 10x per second or something (I can't remember the frequency of updates specifically)

Will check out the Autel stuff. May not be worth it for me but could be a fun toy or useful tool at some point.

So you cannot, for example, command the VSA to activate if you are doing a brake flush? Would need a much more expensive/Honda-specific unit for that?

I remember my old BMW mechanic had a laptop-based system where he could do lots of diagnostic routines. I think it was called GT1 or something.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Thanks

My $5 bluetooth can see live data as long as it is coming from the OBD2 port. So I can watch throttle position or ECT or rpms or whatever in real time, updated 10x per second or something (I can't remember the frequency of updates specifically)

Will check out the Autel stuff. May not be worth it for me but could be a fun toy or useful tool at some point.

So you cannot, for example, command the VSA to activate if you are doing a brake flush? Would need a much more expensive/Honda-specific unit for that?

I remember my old BMW mechanic had a laptop-based system where he could do lots of diagnostic routines. I think it was called GT1 or something.
Correct, I cant activate VSA with my scanner, or program BMW computer to tell it that I replaced transfer case fluid.....
A $1000+ computer may/not be able to do it, there are Snap-On, OTC, Autel and Others out there.
There are also manufacturer specific computers out there, I used to use VAG Com program on my laptop to diagnose VW cars.
Volvo has VIDA, Mercedes has their own, so on.... Most of the car stuff is proprietary, so the fact that there are after market computers
even exist in a first place is pretty awesome.

But, if you think a dealer, with their fancy machine is actually going to activate VSA to do a "more complete" brake flush, I got a bridge to sell you.
You would be lucky if they actually bleed brakes, vs just suck out some fluid out of master cylinder.

Anyway, this is getting way off topic.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I purchased the Autel 419 scanner and should arrive on Tuesday.
That is able to check the PCM (Power-train Control Module) and manufacturer specific codes.
This should be able to identify any transmission error codes.
I will keep you posted once Honda or me was able to identify the error.
But transmission issues seems to be a rare issue on the 2007 model. I checked on NHTSA and there was just very very transmission complaints. And nothing about "blinking D"

1 - 20 of 35 Posts