Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is regarding my 2002 Odyssey with 173K miles.
About three years ago, we were on a long trip and while we were on the highway, the gear selector indicator which was on "D" started blinking. This happened for about 30 seconds and the light became steady again on "D". An hour or so later, the same episode happened. The van ran fine and continued to run fine. About six months later, the "D" light disappeared completely. So now when I put the gear selector on "D", it is just plain black - the letter D does not show. Three years (and about 25K miles) have gone by without any transmission problems - van runs just fine. The blinking has not happened again. Only irritation is that "D" doesn't show up. So when nothing shows up on the gear select indicator, I know I am in D by elimination!!

Any ideas on why the blinking happened in the first place and why my "D" might have disappeared? Is this something I should worry about? Thanks in advance for replies.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
The "D" blinks to display a diagnostic code. Good that the tranny is still working fine. Do you do regular drain and fill of the ATF?
The "D" probably disappeared because the bulb burned out?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had my Drive light stop working for about 2 weeks then it started working again :DI was getting ready to find out how to open the cluster to replace the bulb

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The "D" blinks to display a diagnostic code. Good that the tranny is still working fine. Do you do regular drain and fill of the ATF?
The "D" probably disappeared because the bulb burned out?
thanks for reply. yes I change ATF regularly. the last one was done about 15K miles ago. Also, I did do an OBD scan at the time and no DTC codes were shown. If the D was blinking to signal a diagnostic code, would it have shown up in my OBD scan?

·
Registered
32 Posts
About three years ago, we were on a long trip and while we were on the highway, the gear selector indicator which was on "D" started blinking. This happened for about 30 seconds and the light became steady again on "D". An hour or so later, the same episode happened. The van ran fine and continued to run fine. About six months later, the "D" light disappeared completely. So now when I put the gear selector on "D", it is just plain black - the letter D does not show. Three years (and about 25K miles) have gone by without any transmission problems - van runs just fine. The blinking has not happened again. Only irritation is that "D" doesn't show up. So when nothing shows up on the gear select indicator, I know I am in D by elimination!!

Any ideas on why the blinking happened in the first place and why my "D" might have disappeared? Is this something I should worry about? Thanks in advance for replies.
Mine hasn't worked for for about 50k miles. I really believe the bulb just "died". No trans issues in the same time period as well.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
I did do an OBD scan at the time and no DTC codes were shown. If the D was blinking to signal a diagnostic code, would it have shown up in my OBD scan?
Yes, D blinks to show that a transmission code has been thrown. Seeing the code depends on the reader being able to find and show all the transmission codes.

Glad your transmission is working okay, but a blinking D light is like a blinking CEL: not something to ignore for long.

No D light at all could be a burned out bulb as mentioned, or a bad range switch, or a malfunction where the computer throws a code and turns off D rather than blinking it.

BTW, your title said "flickering". That usually means rapid and intermittent, where "blinking" means slow and regular. Which is it?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Rather then guess. Just change the "D" bulb. Many, posters save a few dollars. And switch out the "drive 1" bulb.
(which gets no usage). And place it in the "D" site.

I waited till the odometer, bulb, burned out, then replace the "D" at the same time.

If you ever changed the clock light bulb, you can change the "D" bulb. Same process, but you have to go in a little
deeper to remove the cluster, then open to get access to PC board. (there are a couple of good videos on this).

Some posters change all of the bulbs on the cluster. Can get expensive. I did not. Cause most of the other bulbs
are never on all of the time.....

Good luck....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, D blinks to show that a transmission code has been thrown. Seeing the code depends on the reader being able to find and show all the transmission codes.

Glad your transmission is working okay, but a blinking D light is like a blinking CEL: not something to ignore for long.

No D light at all could be a burned out bulb as mentioned, or a bad range switch, or a malfunction where the computer throws a code and turns off D rather than blinking it.

BTW, your title said "flickering". That usually means rapid and intermittent, where "blinking" means slow and regular. Which is it?
apologies for my imprecise use of terms. It was blinking - i.e. slow and regular.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
No worries, mate! :)

·
Registered
68 Posts

Last year my 2003 Ody had had the same issue and the following was my finding. If I remeber corectly this was a 200,00 or 300.00 fix. The Honda Odyssey may develop issues with the automatic transmission. Rough shifting may occur, and the “D4” light and check engine may begin to blink. ... If the transmission performs normally, a faulty sensor, or dirtytransmission fluid may be the case.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Just change the "D" bulb.
Agree, start simple.

If the bulb is good but still doesn't light, try your code reader again. If still nothing, have a dealer test for codes.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Occasionally my "D" light does not light up. It never flashed though. I always assumed that the contacts in the gear shift lever were slightly worn.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Occasionally my "D" light does not light up. It never flashed though. I always assumed that the contacts in the gear shift lever were slightly worn.
The D light circuit is different from the rest of the shift indicator lights in that when the transmission range switch is in D, it grounds a signal from the PCM rather than grounding the D light circuit. When the PCM gets a D light ground signal, it decides whether to illuminate the D light (normal) or not (code), or to blink it (code).

I'm not sure about this, but I think the PCM would throw a range switch code if it got no D light signal but did get a D drive signal from the other part of the range switch.

Assuming your D light bulb contacts and circuit are continuous, you should check for codes

Reactions: Snailster

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Wouldn't the check engine light come on if there were codes?
Most times, the CEL would come on, but not always.

A blinking or out D light should be treated the same as a lit CEL.

Honda engineers could have been more consistent in reporting transmission issues to the driver; just turn on the CEL! :rolleyes: Seems like the transmission programmers wanted to show off their creativity with the lowly D light.

Reactions: Pixburd54

·
Registered
338 Posts
Most times, the CEL would come on, but not always.

A blinking or out D light should be treated the same as a lit CEL.

Honda engineers could have been more consistent in reporting transmission issues to the driver; just turn on the CEL! :rolleyes: Seems like the transmission programmers wanted to show off their creativity with the lowly D light.
Thanks. Looks like those transmission programmers really wanted their own "Check Transmission Light."

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,691 Posts
Makes sense to me. If there's a problem with the transmission, you blink the transmission's light. The check engine light is just that, a check engine light. Not a check transmission light.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Makes sense to me. If there's a problem with the transmission, you blink the transmission's light. The check engine light is just that, a check engine light. Not a check transmission light.
In Hondaland it's officially called a malfunction indicator light (MIL), so it could be for engine, transmission, or anything really.

It's ambiguous even for those makes that call it a CEL. For example, a loose gas cap will turn on the CEL, but the gas cap isn't part of the engine. But I digress...

·
Registered
338 Posts
In that case I want a check tires light!

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,691 Posts
Reactions: Pixburd54
1 - 20 of 25 Posts