Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Honda Odyssey EX-L
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've read through all of the forums about which floor mats/liners to get - let's just say it's been way too much research for something as menial as car mats. BUT, I still haven't been able to find exactly what I'm looking for, until I came across the ToughPro mats. I should probably mention I live in San Diego, where we don't have weather. I'm not really worried about which mat performs best with a bunch of snow melting in the car, or getting in with wet, muddy shoes (though with kids that will probably happen at some point). My biggest concern is keeping the car clean from things the kids will drop/spill and from the amount of sand we inevitably end up bringing in the car.

Here's the deal. I just got a 2017 EX-L 8 seater. I already took out the middle seat in the second row as we don't plan to use it unless we absolutely need it. I want to find some mats that cover the middle aisle including the latches, but the only thing I can find is the WeatherTech floor liner that covers the second and third rows, with a strip to cover the aisle. Problem is it doesn't cover the huge latches that are an eyesore and could hurt if stepped or kneeled on wrong. I've debated buying a cheap rubber mat and cutting it to fit just over those areas, but think that would look kind of dumb, plus I'm hesitant to drop $$$ on the WeatherTech. I've also thought about just getting the OEM mats, and again just finding a cheap mat and cutting it down to fit into the 16x20 space between the two captain chairs. These are the two best options I've come up with so far and haven't come across any other novel ideas on the many forums about this topic.

But tonight as I was researching, I found ToughPro on Amazon and it appears they might have addressed my problem. They are a little different than others that I've looked at as they are more of a mat than a liner and they don't have the raised edges. Again, I'm not particularly concerned about the raised edges. I do think that the hexagonal shape seems like it should do a decent job controlling spills, crumbs, sand, etc. Among the many options they have available on Amazon, there is a set for the 7 seater which looks like it provides coverage for the middle aisle and possibly even the latches (picture below). It's hard to tell but they look wider than the coverage the WeatherTech liner provides. As an added bonus there's a package that includes a cargo mat (for the tray when third row is up), all for $140! I think the OEM cargo tray is probably better, so I'm considering getting that one and just getting the ToughPro mats for the three rows for $110. Plus I think the hexagon design they have looks kind of sleek and modern.

Anyone have experience with ToughPro and can tell me why it wouldn't be worth all of that for $110 (or $140 with the cargo mat)? The reviews on Amazon are really positive, but I haven't been able to find many other reviews for them so I wanted to see if anyone here has used them. Given what I'm looking for in mats, these seem like a great option!

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
956 Posts
These look like a good option. Especially if you're not worried about melting snow, you don't really need the raised edges of the WeatherTech mats.

I agree that you might be better off buying a cargo tray that has raised edges, rather than just the mat. Three rows for $110 is better than any OEM price and pretty good for custom mats.

There are SO many options for floor mats..... I ended up cheaping out and just buying generic mats. Double check the reviews to check the comments regarding fitment. Keep in mind that LX models were 7 seater only. I assume that an EX-L with the 8th seat removed should have the same exact spacing as an LX, but you might want to see what trims the people who left reviews have.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Odyssey EX-L
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These look like a good option. Especially if you're not worried about melting snow, you don't really need the raised edges of the WeatherTech mats.

I agree that you might be better off buying a cargo tray that has raised edges, rather than just the mat. Three rows for $110 is better than any OEM price and pretty good for custom mats.

There are SO many options for floor mats..... I ended up cheaping out and just buying generic mats. Double check the reviews to check the comments regarding fitment. Keep in mind that LX models were 7 seater only. I assume that an EX-L with the 8th seat removed should have the same exact spacing as an LX, but you might want to see what trims the people who left reviews have.
Thanks jiantao. From what I've been able to tell based on just the reviews, the fit seems to be pretty good but there aren't a lot of user pictures so it's hard to tell. I'll look into it a little bit more. How do you like the generic ones you got? Do you feel like they do just fine for the money saved?

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
956 Posts
Thanks jiantao. From what I've been able to tell based on just the reviews, the fit seems to be pretty good but there aren't a lot of user pictures so it's hard to tell. I'll look into it a little bit more. How do you like the generic ones you got? Do you feel like they do just fine for the money saved?
The generic mats don't fit all that well. I think I paid $29 for all three rows, so it was much cheaper. But they kind of move around and the middle row is two large mats plus a smaller piece I stuck in between them, rather than one big piece. I also don't have little kids, and most of my passengers are older relatives, so they don't generally make as much of a mess.

With little kids, and a newer van, I would pay the extra for the mats you are looking at.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have never been disappointed in Weather Techs. I like how they cover the whole floor, even under the seats. We had no intention (at this point) of removing the middle seat. We like the arm rest, so it will stay, so our issues isn't the same. So many options out there. My dad had similar to what you are looking at in his CRV. What I didn't like about them compared to the Weather Tech was they seemed harder to clean. When they get dirty, the pockets are more diffucult to get cleaned and almost needed a power washer to get really clean as compared to just a hose and brush with Weather Tech. But many options out there, and it does do what you are asking. +1 on the OEM cargo tray.

Reactions: TriDad2388

·
Registered
2017 Honda Odyssey EX-L
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In case anyone cares, I purchased the ToughPro mats I wrote about above. Installed them tonight and they fit perfectly! I ordered the package for the 7 seater ($110) and added the cargo mat ($80) for when the seats are down. Big time value! As you can see in the picture, the coverage is basically 100% and the aisle is covered well enough I don’t have to worry about my kids stepping on the latches. Just what I was looking for. We’ll see how they hold up over time, but as of right now I’m very pleased. I also ordered the OEM cargo tray but haven’t received it yet.

In

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
956 Posts
Great fitting mats! Good price too. Hopefully they hold up.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Looks nice, let us know how they hold up in the long term. Have had Husky mats, but having the coverage between the two middle row seats would be nice to have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts