Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use one of the fluid extractors like the Mightyvac on the newer model Odyssey? If so, does it extract most of the oil?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Checking again to see if anyone has used one of these on the newer models. Looking for a more mess free way of changing my oil.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Fumoto valve. Once you tried one, you will wonder, why you waited so long! Also, buy a good quality filter, change filter every other oil change. And to save time. No ramps. If you have driveway,with street curb. Drive right front
wheel on curb. Then, piece of cardboard, slid under van . Flip the fumoto valve switch open. Mow the lawn. Come back.
flip the Fumoto valve switch closed. Change filter. Done.:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I use a fluid extractor on my BWM even with ramps can't get enough space underneath.
Anyway I measured once and marked container, got out my 7 quarts.
So they do work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fumoto valve. Once you tried one, you will wonder, why you waited so long! Also, buy a good quality filter, change filter every other oil change. And to save time. No ramps. If you have driveway,with street curb. Drive right front
wheel on curb. Then, piece of cardboard, slid under van . Flip the fumoto valve switch open. Mow the lawn. Come back.
flip the Fumoto valve switch closed. Change filter. Done.:)
Did you buy the F106SX and the ADL-106 extension? Does it seem like it'll be in a position to break off at any point? From what I remember on my first oil change, the exhaust is really close to the pan. Did that cause an issue?

·
Registered
433 Posts
If you’re changing the oil filter, why would you even bother with removing the oil using an extractor?

There‘s nothing messy about changing the oil on the Odyssey.

·
Registered
417 Posts
There‘s nothing messy about changing the oil on the Odyssey.
Other than the oil filter that drains into the control arm, which then leaves spots of oil all over the garage for the next month...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I'm just clumsy. I always end up spilling oil when moving the oil pan or positioning it incorrectly which results in oil all over the floor. I didn't change the stock filter the first change so I haven't encountered the filter issue. Wrapping a gallon ziplock bag around it might solve that issue.

·
Registered
433 Posts
You can place a takeout container right
Other than the oil filter that drains into the control arm, which then leaves spots of oil all over the garage for the next month...
I don’t have that issue, as I use a takeout container to catch the oil. I do it in my garage as well.

If you get a little on the control arm, you can wipe it off with a few paper towels. Some of you are making it out to be like the Exxon Valdez.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Does that still happen in the gen 5 Odysseys? I would have thought they'd fix that little irritation when the van got redesigned.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I didn't change the stock filter the first change so I haven't encountered the filter issue. Wrapping a gallon ziplock bag around it might solve that issue.
The ziploc bag trick definitely works. You can also use about a penny's worth of tin foil to form into a nice channel to guide the oil from the filter away from the control arm and straight into the drain pan. I've done both.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Anyone use one of the fluid extractors like the Mightyvac on the newer model Odyssey? If so, does it extract most of the oil?
Using a Mightyvac on my 2017 Pilot and 2017 Ridgeline. Works great. I also have Fumoto valves on them and end up with about 1 oz of oil from the valves using the Mightyvac. Thinking about removing the Fumoto valves and go back to the factory plug. Oil filter I use the quart size freezer bag. No mess yet.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Not sure what you mean. " 1 oz of oil from the valves"....Mightyvac... Are you saying, you get 1 oz "more" of dirty oil out of your engine by using the Mightvac? vs using the Fumoto valve. Just curious.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Pela oil extractor and it does not work with this engine. I have 2 different size extractor tubes. Mine could not reach the pan and would get blocked. Too bad because I wanted to avoid ramps. The oil filter location is just stupid. I like to properly torque my filters but there is no room to get a wrench in there.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Do you guys need a video on how to do an oil change on this van? It isn’t hard, I just did an oil and filter change, tire rotation, cabin and air filter in 1 hour today. This included pouring old oil back into the old containers.

You should be rotating your tires every oil change, so I don’t understand the wanting to jack the van up. You don’t even need to use jack stands, just jack it up from the front jack points, and it’ll allow you to rotate the tires.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not sure what you mean. " 1 oz of oil from the valves"....Mightyvac... Are you saying, you get 1 oz "more" of dirty oil out of your engine by using the Mightvac? vs using the Fumoto valve. Just curious.
After using the Mightyvac 7201 to get most of the old oil out. I then open the Fumoto valve and end up with about 1 oz drained from there. So the vac does the job for me, and Fumoto valves will be coming off on next oil changes. Another thing nice with the vac, you can reverse the pump switch and pressure rise the vac container and pump the old oil into another container.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts