Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2006 Odyssey Touring with 75K miles. Recently (less than 1000 miles) depaxed with 2010 RL 18" rims.

I drove the wife's car for yesterday after she reported hearing a noise which seemed to come from the front left wheel. She kept saying "may be it's the new wheels..." I was like, "no I don't think so..."

So I drove it to work yesterday. I didn't hearing anything in the morning and all the way to work (13miles) and the morning temps nowadays are about 40-50 degrees here.

But as I was leaving work yesterday, I heard the noise very, very briefly. And if I recall correctly, it was after coming to a stop, followed by a left turn. As I drove (after the left turn) I heard the noise. I immediately stopped, but the noise also stops when I stopped. I pulled away again and the noise didn't come back (even all the way home).

This morning however, the noise came back. Seemingly, it was after a made a stop and followed by a left turn. Like yesterday, the noise continues even with my foot off the brake. But this time... it kept on coming. I would go... tap on the brake slightly... and there it goes again... and keeps on going. If I stop the car all the way... it stops. The I would go... and again, if I tap the break slightly, the whining would come back.

My wife did report it sometimes keeps whining even after several miles and I was able to verify that this morning. Finally I just took the van back home this morning and took my car instead to work.

I'm pretty certain it's the front left wheel.

Most of the post I've read talks about rear brakes and that there's a TSB directly linked to those issues having to do with the e-brake/cable.

I still need to take a look at the front pads, but I was just wondering if this is just the common symptoms of worn pads. It's just strange to me that the whine continues even after letting off the brake.

Lastly, I have noticed that in the last few months, the e-brakes really need to be pushed down for it to really engaged. Our driveway is in a slant, so I can always tell if the e-brakes aren't engaged all the way: I stop on the driveway... keeping my foot on the brake I put shifter into Park, I engage the e-brake. Then when I finally let my foot off the brakes, it will roll back slightly.

Anyway... I still need to check the pads, but just wanted to get some feedbacks before I went home today.

Thanks.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I had the same problem at 31K. The Honda OEM pads produce a lot of dust. This dust causes the flute like whistle noise when it gets caught between the pad and the disk.
You could just get them cleaned, or it might be time to replace them.

I replaced them with aftermarket ceramic pads, which don't produce as much dust. There are a few out there, but here are the ones I used, and I'm happy with them.

Centric Parts Ceramic Brake Pads 301.10880

Amazon.com: Centric Parts Ceramic Brake Pads w/Shims 301.10880 New: Automotive

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks curiousgeorge... I'm hoping that's all there is to it too... worse case, I need new pads. I'm definitely considering ceramics.

HondaNerd... "brake booster vaccuum leak"? I've never heard of this or had anyone mention this during my initial search, but then again, almost every post I saw was related to rear brakes. Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely research this one too, just in case.

·
Registered
193 Posts
#1 - The wheels may have loosened some after driving a bit. Retorqueing them to spec would be my first step.

#2 - The pad may be not retracting enough when you come off the brake and it is dragging slightly when you turn. Disassembly and reassembly with a focus on greasing the guide pins and pad guides might be a solution. Use a disc brake grease with a solid lubricant component.

Go with a premium ceramic pad if you decide to replace pads. The OEM don't have a good reputation. I'm very happy with the Akebono Proact.

Are you on the original rotor ?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
#1 - I did take it back to Discount Tires after the depax. They told me to return after 100 miles of driving so they can retorque. I think I took it back after 500 miles... and the guys said it was still to spec.

#2 - I suspected may be this was the issue. Thanks for the tips.

Yeppers on the ceramics... I'm scoping out Akebono and Posi Quiet.

I bought as certified used 2 years ago, so I don't know if its the original rotors. I do know I had to return it to the dealer shortly after I bought to have the rotors turned - it was juddering. Been fine since.... until now with the noise.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I bought as certified used 2 years ago, so I don't know if its the original rotors. I do know I had to return it to the dealer shortly after I bought to have the rotors turned - it was juddering. Been fine since.... until now with the noise.
At rotor that's been turned once may have permentent damage to the metal structure creating hard spots. I would grab new rotors to go with the new pads. Centric premiums are working for me so far and have good reports.

StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok... so spent this morning checking out the brakes. And as it turns out... it's just a case of low front pads. I examined the front left wheel first and right away I can see the pads are low. I took off the pads and can clearly see the little "reed" noise-maker has started rubbing the rotors. What a sound that thing makes...

Anyway... rear pads looks about 50%... I think I'll leave those alone for now.

I'm ordering Posi Quiet Extended Wear pads and Centric Premium rotors for the fronts. All from AutoAnything (had nothing but good experience with these guys even on returns!)

Since it'll be a few days before I get the order, I went ahead and took out the little "reed" with the dremel to save my wife the wierd stares til I can do the work.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I freaking LOVE autoanything.com. Just put the order in... but found that the Centric Premiums are $20 cheaper (each) at Amazon. I clicked on the "chat" link... got someone from AutoAnything chatting with me. I asked him if they price match... he says, "yes, give me the link." So I gave him the Amazon link... and walla! I'm checking out... savings and all, easy-peasy. Free shipping... no tax... how can you beat that!?!?

Those guys rock! Just had to say...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts