Honda Odyssey Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
My foglight kit should be here tomorrow from Trevor. I was wondering if the headlight auto-off feature also shuts off the foglights with: a>no mods to the circuits, b>Chuck's mod 1, and c>Chuck's mod 2.??

[This message has been edited by my_2001ody (edited 12-10-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by my_2001ody:
My foglight kit should be here tomorrow from Trevor. I was wondering if the headlight auto-off feature also shuts off the foglights with: a>no mods to the circuits, b>Chuck's mod 1, and c>Chuck's mod 2.??

[This message has been edited by my_2001ody (edited 12-10-2001).]
</font>
Yes, it does.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Two comments I have after doing the install saturday.

Getting the lights into the frame so the screw holes would line up was a little bit of a pain. I got it but had to trim the opening repeatedly on the right side where it was not completely cut out and on the left side I had to push a lot to get it just right.

Second I screwed up and wasnt thinking and got the relays backward. The inside under dash one and the outside right side fender one. I had installed the harnesses first and did the bumper last. Finally I plugged the harness to the lights from under the car and they come on and stay on. I am looking at all my connections and its all hooked up.

It finally dawned on me that a rubber shrouded realy doesnt make much sense under the dash. So I took it out and switched it with engine compartment one. That was fun.

Anybody have to reaim theirs after installation. Did you have any rule of thumb on how to do it?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd like to add one more caveat to Chuck's picture on removing the spade plug from the inside relay harness connector.

From Chuck's picture you can see the plastic catch pin on the wire side of the connector.

I stuck a SMALL jewelers screwdriver in their smack on center on the upper part of the plug and let it sit caught THEN on the other side I took a small conventional screwdriver and pushed out the spade connector. This is safe because your not pulling on the wires and with the jewelers screwdriver in their it doesnt slide easy but the catch is firmly held free.

It worked clean and easy and I didnt feel like I was picking a lock.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm a little puzzled by the recent discussions in this thread and I fear that some members may not understand that modification number two (allowing "ultimate" control over the fog lights) REPLACES modification number one (which only keeps the fogs on with high beams, IIRC). Mod 2 DOES NOT require Mod 1.

Regardless of whether you install mod 2 like Chuck did or using my technique it's an easier mod to install! BTW, Chuck's is probably easier if you're making the mod on already installed fog lights.

Mel

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mel:
I'm a little puzzled by the recent discussions in this thread and I fear that some members may not understand that modification number two (allowing "ultimate" control over the fog lights) REPLACES modification number one (which only keeps the fogs on with high beams, IIRC). Mod 2 DOES NOT require Mod 1.

Regardless of whether you install mod 2 like Chuck did or using my technique it's an easier mod to install! BTW, Chuck's is probably easier if you're making the mod on already installed fog lights.

Mel
</font>
Good point, Mel. Thanx for the clarification.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Bump! Installing Fog Lights and want this thread handy! Hope Mel and Chuck don't mind, I'll add my two cents as I go. This thread seems to have the most good info in it (other than Chuck's pictures), so I will add stuff here.

Cut out the holes in the bumper last night. Followed the instruction sheet, and was a little surprised the right hole was completely covered (of course, once I looked harder, I found some posts about this!). No real problem, there are some slots cut in the cover that guide you on where to cut with your hacksaw blade.

You will definetly need some type of rotary tool to enlarge the hole!!!! Even if you measure carefully, neither hole was large enough for the lights to fit. I used my Dremel with a high speed cutter and enlarged/melted the plastic away until I got a nice snug fit. As stated previously, be careful you don't remove material around the mounting holes or tabs. A rotary tool makes it easy, and I think the file they recommend in the instructions would take forever considering how much material you need to remove (especially on the right if you follow the slots they provided).

Hope to pop the bumper and do the wiring tonight or tomorrow. There are already good instuctions in these areas, so I may not have more to add.... :)

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Fog Lights Are In! Tranny Cooler Too!

It took me part of Friday Night and Saturday morning, but the fog light installation went very easily. Thanks to Chuck and Mel for all the pics and instructions. I did the Mod 2 jumper as suggested also. I used two wire taps with a jumper wire in between that I can remove. Yes, it is the blue wire and the Red/yellow wire, not the green/yellow wire stated in the tech section pics. I also moved it back away from the switch, down to the point the single wire that goes to the firewall breaks away. Easily reachable now. Also, if you have a 'Sidewinder" wrench with a 6" extension, that bolt to the inside relay is easy to get off and on (I hung it even though I am not using it). Works and looks great. Thanks again guys.

While I had the bumper off I installed a small tranny cooler. Not too hard either, and for less than $30 I have a little added protection now (don't even have a trailer hitch, yet!). Thanks to Jim F for his pics on this one.

Took a few pics, but haven't even looked at them yet. Not sure they are much different or better than what has already been posted anyway. Once again, this site rules!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does it make a difference?

I really appreciate all of the info on this topic but I wondering (before I ordered) if any of the above advice/knowledge makes a difference if used on the square fogs? or the round variety? The round are on sale for half price (Handa). Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
also...

sorry for the back to back posts but i hit "submit" too quickly.

I keep seeing that folks are ordering fog light kits from "Trevor". Who or What is "Trevor"? and how can I make contact?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Trevor is the guy at Handa.com.

I installed the "square" fog lights, but I would think the round lights are similar except maybe for the cutouts you have to make in the bumper.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I installed "square" one on 2002 EX-L NAVI just a few days ago.
It works very well. I think it is slightly brighter than round one. I had "round" one on my 2000 EX previously.
Squire one is standard for Japanese version of US Odyssey (Lagreat) since 1999. I confirmed that "square" fog lights are made in Japan according to the box.
I did Mel's mod. It is very useful mod. I did not understand why US spec fog lights never comes on with high beam and parking lights.
In Japan, fog lights work like Chuck's mod 2 and Mel's mod from the start. No need for mod.
Thank you so much for providing me very useful information regarding fog lights installation.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Re: also...

daconini said:
I keep seeing that folks are ordering fog light kits from "Trevor". Who or What is "Trevor"? and how can I make contact?
Trevor is the manager at HandA

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Re: Does it make a difference?

daconini said:
I really appreciate all of the info on this topic but I wondering (before I ordered) if any of the above advice/knowledge makes a difference if used on the square fogs? or the round variety? The round are on sale for half price (Handa). Thanks!
The wires should be about same, i haven't taken a close look. The square fogs looks really great but does cost bit more, here is the OdyClub discount from handa www.handa-accessories.com/odyclubgroupbuy.html . Trevor is the manger at handa and sponsors OdyClub. They have it for $289.6 plus shipping.
If you call the other sponser www.hondacuraworld.com , they have free shipping and maybe able to get close to the $289.60 price, or can match the price for the round one with free shipping.

·
Registered
102 Posts
More FAQs

I just wanted to add to this excellent thread. Cutting the braket that holds the interior relay is key. Definitely do this.

Lining up the holes to get the bottom trim piece back on the steering colum is no piece of cake either. Although I thought I had it back on properly and checked the alignments, it was off just a bit. This conflicted with using the right turn signal as it forced the top trim piece out of position and contacted the control stalk when pushed up to activate the right turn signal. This was easily corrected with a couple of bangs with my fist to the proper tabs.

Moral of the story: Be sure and test both turn signals following reinstallation of the trim pieces to insure the control stalk has clearance.

·
Registered
148 Posts
How about a link back to Chuck's original notes/photos/mods 1 & 2? There's so many posts now that I am getting lost trying to find my way back...

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
leakbox said:
How about a link back to Chuck's original notes/photos/mods 1 & 2? There's so many posts now that I am getting lost trying to find my way back...
Its under the TECH section: www.odyclub.com/tech/fogmod.htm There was talk about different color wires to jjump on mod-2, but it the middle 2 wires that connects to to foglight switch. Just do mod-2, its much better.:)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have taken a red pen and highlighter to my printed instructions for the fogs from HandA. I see the areas in question regarding clipping the wiring harness from right to left, the harness switch, the slotting of the Relay B bracket, etc.

My only question at this time regards the latter part of the instructions. How do you know if the van is equipped with an optional hood switch? My EX-L has a weak bulb that comes on automatically when the hood is opened. I assume that this is stock, and some other, brighter system would be the optional one. Am I on target with this assumption?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Forget about trying to figure out whether you have a "hood switch" or not. I'm betting you do not. Simply take a look at the top of the radiator. The holes for the clips are either there or not (i.e. the holes are being used by some other cable). If the holes are there, use them. If they are not, wire tie the harness to whatever cable is using them. The holes were present in my 2002 EX RES.

Good luck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yoh said:
(snip)I did not understand why US spec fog lights never comes on with high beam and parking lights.
In Japan, fog lights work like Chuck's mod 2 and Mel's mod from the start. No need for mod.
(snip)
Its a legal issue. Most states have laws that say that you cannot have more than four "headlight type" lights on at one time. This has been interpreted to count the high beam in an intergrated assembly (high and low beam together) as a separate light. Kind of silly when you think about it. So Honda has to design its system to comply with applicable laws.

When you do the Chuck mod, (which I have and love) you might be technically breaking some arcane law designed to prevent ******** in pickups from blinding people with the 50 lights they have mounted on their vehicle.

I personally think that my local police has better things to do than roust a mom in an mini van for having too many lights on the front of the vehicle. However, if such things concern you, you may want to check your local motor vehicle code prior to doing the mod.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts