Honda Odyssey Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
The Ody's fog lights work well in two situations. The first is, obviously, in fog. The second is as a close to the vehicle fill in for the headlights.

In fog, high beams are counterproductive. The lamps are brighter and aimed higher so that their light will be reflected back by the fog, thus decreasing the driver's visibility, not improving it.

I believe most states have minimum requirements for headlamps. I suspect that the fog lights won't meet those minimums and therefore aren't "legal" for use without the low beams. It's possible to conceive a situation where the fog is so think that low beams cause severe reflected light, like high beams, and you might want to use just the fogs, regardless of the legality.

Honda simply takes the conservative, and probably legally required, with their standard wiring.

Mel

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
leakbox said:
My only question at this time regards the latter part of the instructions. How do you know if the van is equipped with an optional hood switch? My EX-L has a weak bulb that comes on automatically when the hood is opened. I assume that this is stock, and some other, brighter system would be the optional one. Am I on target with this assumption?
I'm not quite sure what you are talking about here, where is the weak bulb? 02 and befor Ody's don't have a light in engine bay. If you are talking about a weak light bulb in engine bay, you would have to have a hood switch. The optional hood switch in instruction is talking about alarm system hood switch, if your dealer put it in, they would have charged you over $200 for this options.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My '02 was picked up directly off the truck through a friend who is a sales/leasing agent, so no options were added (except for the splash guards and wheel locks that the dealer required to give them a couple hundred extra dollars). The light in the engine bay is a weak exposed bulb that is mounted on the underside of the hood towards the front.

When I start the installation, I'll assume that there is no optional hood switch.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
leakbox said:
My '02 was picked up directly off the truck through a friend who is a sales/leasing agent, so no options were added (except for the splash guards and wheel locks that the dealer required to give them a couple hundred extra dollars). The light in the engine bay is a weak exposed bulb that is mounted on the underside of the hood towards the front.

When I start the installation, I'll assume that there is no optional hood switch.

Thanks for the help guys.
Hmmm.. Ody's did not come with lights under the hood to light up engine bay. The dealer added the light or someone after the factory. If you have a light under the hood, then you would need a hood switch(som light only comes on when hood is open), unless the lights come on when you have parking light on, even when the hood is closed(i wouldn't think so). I bet you have a hood switch.
Try this, get inside your Ody, close all the doors and lock all the doors, wait until the alarm is set, pop the hood. If your alarm goes off, you have a hood switch, you may need a 2nd person to open the hood a bit to test this out. You do have an EX, right? or do you have LX?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
JoesYum said:
... If you have a light under the hood, then you would need a hood switch...
Not quite true. Many underhood lights have an internal mercury switch to detect when the hood is open. I've seen cheap aftermarkets lights recently with mercury switches and I think GM has used them for many years. I also think my old Grand Voyager had one.

Mel

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ody is an '02 EX-L RES. There is definitely a light on the hood. I'll try and perform the locked-doors-open the hood test with my wife tonight. I'll also snap a jpeg of the bulb.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had my fog lites installed for some time and I recommend them for anyone driving after dark. My wife works at nite and they really make a safety difference for her. One thing I did and would recommend was to fill around the edges of the lights with black RTV silicone rubber. They would have been better with a gasket around them and this (if done neatly ) will make for a finished Job.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Jackson624 said:
[snip]. One thing I did and would recommend was to fill around the edges of the lights with black RTV silicone rubber. They would have been better with a gasket around them and this (if done neatly ) will make for a finished Job.
You did not mention your model year or whether you purchased the Honda round or rectangular lights. However, if you are dealing with a 2001 or 2002 and installing the rectangular lights, I can tell you that RTV will do nothing for you if you cut out the inserts properly. The rectangular fog lights fit flush into the bumper very tightly. Trying to shove RTV in there will only look weird and attract dust. Not trying to be critical, but can't see the utility of this.

Craig.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I believe the letter states the Van is a 2002 and the fog lites are rectangular. I have been using black RTV to seal around windows and many other uses ever since the late 60's. There are ways to do this neatly and ways to make a mess of it. Sad to say most jobs are messy because of reluctance to do more than lay an untouched bead in the groove and yes there is a groove no matter how tightly you fit the lights. To each his own but the RTV works for me and has for over 30 plus years. JWB

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I know this topic has been beaten to death, but Mel, since I don't believe you ever got your pictures here's some from my install this last weekend:

http://www.pbase.com/shinjohn/foglight_install

Again, many, many thanks to all the contributors here, allowing me to complete this install with very little hiccup, and both foglight mod "#2" as well as high/low beam mod all in one shot.

Writeups from Chuck, Mel, facelvega and many others were invalueable.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Shinjohn,

I am in the middle of installing my foglights and am not clear about Fog Light Mod # 2. :confused:

I understand the Relay B is tied off and not connected.

But is the jumper at the base of the Fog Light Switch only connecting a wire between the blue and red/yellow wires, or do some of these wires also get cut?

Additionally, if one later wishes to reverse this Mod, you only need to remove the jumper, right?

Thanks for your input. :)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Lead Foot 60 said:
Shinjohn,

I am in the middle of installing my foglights and am not clear about Fog Light Mod # 2. :confused:

I understand the Relay B is tied off and not connected.

But is the jumper at the base of the Fog Light Switch only connecting a wire between the blue and red/yellow wires, or do some of these wires also get cut?

Additionally, if one later wishes to reverse this Mod, you only need to remove the jumper, right?

Thanks for your input. :)
Since I just got back from putting another 1000, or so, miles on my Ody this weekend, allow me to answer.

The jumper is just that, a connection between the two wires. No wires are cut with this modification. I installed mine with a pair of bullet style connectors so that modification could easily be reversed by 1) disconnecting the jumper, and 2) connecting the relay.

Hope this helps,
Mel

·
Registered
306 Posts
Mel,

Thanks so much for your clarification!!

Also, your's and nwf_snake's notes were very helpful!! :)

Lastly, our Ody is an '02 EX-L w/Navi. Should the Honda Fog Light Package have come with the Sub Harness? I believe I read somewhere on these Forums that it was necessary for the '02 Seat Heaters, which this Ody has.

Thanks again for your help and promptness.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Lead Foot 60 said:
Mel,

Thanks so much for your clarification!!

Also, your's and nwf_snake's notes were very helpful!! :)

Lastly, our Ody is an '02 EX-L w/Navi. Should the Honda Fog Light Package have come with the Sub Harness? I believe I read somewhere on these Forums that it was necessary for the '02 Seat Heaters, which this Ody has.

Thanks again for your help and promptness.
I've got an '01 and haven't done the install on an '02. The '03 kit has the necessary "adapter/sub-harness" built into the fog light harness. I believe it was an optional part for '02's. I suggest that you ask the dealer you got your kit from to provide the subharness. In the meantime you can simply disconnect the electric seat heaters (I can’t imagine needing them in July :) ).

Mel

·
Registered
306 Posts
Mel said:
I've got an '01 and haven't done the install on an '02. The '03 kit has the necessary "adapter/sub-harness" built into the fog light harness. I believe it was an optional part for '02's. I suggest that you ask the dealer you got your kit from to provide the subharness. In the meantime you can simply disconnect the electric seat heaters (I can’t imagine needing them in July :) ).

Mel
I did check and it was supposed to be included. It is now on its way.

Because of the high temps (for Seattle area), I will wait for a couple of days before finishing the inside work. I did the Mod #2 last night using quick disconnects so I can bring it back to stock should it ever be necessary.

Again, many thanks for all your help. :D

·
Registered
339 Posts
Nice fog install SJ! Those are some good lookin' lights! :D

Man, I need to get my pBase pages going.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Many, many thanks to everyone who contributed to this topic. I installed a set of Honda fogs this weekend, and the advice here was once again invaluable.

I did Chuck's Mod 2 and love having total control over the fogs. I figure we'll have them on anytime we have the headlights on. Chances are, from past experience, that we will break the lights before we burn the bulbs out.

Thanks!

Toy Hauler

41 - 58 of 58 Posts