Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw on collegehills honda that they sell yellow fog light bulbs. My question is does anyone have these and whats the advantage?? Visibility, projection, glare??? Also whats involved in swapping the bulbs?

·
Registered
511 Posts
From Xenon Depot blog...."I recently installed Putco Jet Yellow bulbs in the fog lights of my vehicle. These yellow halogen bulbs have done a FABULOUS job in my opinion. They have a really nice deep yellow output and greatly aid in terms of road illumination when driving in snow/rainy conditions. The Putco performance halogen bulbs are rated at the same wattage as my stock bulbs so I was not concerned about damaging my headlight housing and or wiring. In short, for $25.99 you really CANNOT go wrong with this halogen bulb upgrade. I also personally like the look of having yellow fog lights (Personal note)."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Instead of changing the bulbs I had yellow 3M put on the fogs when I had the clear bra installed. Looks good (to me anyway), works great and protects the fogs at the same time.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just be a bit wary on your local government's rule on yellow hues as fog lights. Some areas prohibit the use of it in any form, so try to err on the safe side. Check it if it's good to go so you can avoid any possible hassles down the road.

·
Registered
755 Posts
im pretty sure cops arent gona bother you for yellow fog lights. especially if they're on the van.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Instead of changing the bulbs I had yellow 3M put on the fogs when I had the clear bra installed. Looks good (to me anyway), works great and protects the fogs at the same time.
Ditto on going this route, no need for a yellow bulb. Not only is the science unclear as to the yellow fogs advantage, but you need the 3M cover anyway if you don't want to deal with a costly lens replacement over the life of the van... purely aesthetics after that. I would think a little variation in lighting might help eye strain in the fog though.

·
Registered
144 Posts
this has been covered in other forums, but i'll do a simply copy/paste to summarize

"As everyone knows, scattering (by anything!) is always greater at the shortwavelength end of the visible spectrum than at the longwavelength end. Thus to obtain the greatest penentration of light through fog, you
should use the longest wavelength possible. Red is obviously unsuitable so you compromise and use yellow instead."

problem is that the water droplets are large in comparison to wavelenth so that theory goes out the window

"Plus, in order to get yellow light, what fog-light manufacturers do is put a yellow lens over a white light. That cuts your light output by 20 percent to 30 percent, which is counterproductive. "

so there it is in a nutshell

for those in actual need of fog lights, i think the current rule of thumb is to go low and straight. fog tends to hover so you wanna project the light under it to avoid it scattering back at you and ensure that it's aim is level.

of course, ymmv and fwiw and whatnot.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts