Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 EX-L and just had fog lights installed by the dealer. My question is whether it should be possible to turn on fog lights without turning on the headlights, because I cannot. Presently I can only turn on the fog lights when my headlights are on.

I don't drive in the fog often, but my understanding was that headlights could reduce visibility because the when the light is projected directly into the fog, it reflects in all directions, making it difficult to see. Fog lights are positioned low and their light pattern is designed to cut off at the top-- so the light is projected straight out at bumper level and down, but not higher than that. Because fog tends to hover about 12 to 18 inches off the ground, by projecting light below the fog, it is possible to illuminate the road a greater distance from your car and therefore see farther ahead.

It seems like being unable to turn on the fog lights independently of the headlights would defeat their purpose somewhat, since headlights would essentially counteract the fog lights when both are on in the fog.

Can anyone confirm whether this is by design and the fog lights are meant to be more like a general driving light? Or is this an installation error?

pic-6.jpg

·
Registered
403 Posts
I can tell you on my 2015 TE, I cannot turn on just my fog lights alone.

Just curious, where is your switch to turn them on? On mine, it's on the same stalk as the headlights, but fog lights are standard on the TE.

I would think adding them on an EX-L, you would have more flexibility to wire them up independently of the headlights.

·
Super Moderator
13,481 Posts
It is definitely by design and if I am not mistaken by law as well. I am not 100% sure but it is illegal to drive with only fogs in almost all the sates without having the low beams on. Also, fogs turn OFF when you turn on High beams. That too is the same way (by design and likely by law).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just curious, where is your switch to turn them on? On mine, it's on the same stalk as the headlights, but fog lights are standard on the TE.
Same here, I think they replaced the stalk. Originally I only had the headlights switch, now there is a second switch for the fog lights further down the stalk.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, everyone. Good to know everything is in order.

Just tried to look up IL law, and it looks like the low beams are indeed required when using the fogs:

"Nothing in this Section shall prohibit the use of auxiliary driving lamps, commonly referred to as "fog" lamps, when used in conjunction with head lamps, if such auxiliary driving lamps are adjusted and so aimed that the glaring rays are not projected into the eyes of drivers of oncoming vehicles."

625 ILCS 5/12-210(d)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I got the fogs also installed on my EX-L. Yes, the stalk is replaced.

The fogs are $429 plus tax. I got mine for $500 including fogs, installation and no tax. This price is due to a family hook up. I'm assuming that the dealership charges $150+ just for labor. You can easily do it yourself. I would of done it myself but it's cold now and I'd be freezing my ass off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just curious, how much did the dealer charge you for fog lights installment?
I have paid $116.87 for installation.

Total out-the-door was $415.45, itemized as follows:

Labor: $138.60
Parts (08V31-TK8-100A): $295.90
Service coupon: -$21.73
Parts coupon: -$21.73
Tax: $24.41
Total Invoice: $415.45

·
Registered
403 Posts
It is definitely by design and if I am not mistaken by law as well. I am not 100% sure but it is illegal to drive with only fogs in almost all the sates without having the low beams on. Also, fogs turn OFF when you turn on High beams. That too is the same way (by design and likely by law).
Interesting. On my 1999 Ford Explorer ( original owner) , I can turn on just the fogs with the parking lamp, no headlights.

However, when I turn on my hi-beams, the fogs shut off.

·
Super Moderator
13,481 Posts
Interesting. On my 1999 Ford Explorer ( original owner) , I can turn on just the fogs with the parking lamp, no headlights.

However, when I turn on my hi-beams, the fogs shut off.
I cannot on my 1999 Nissan Maxima. Only way to turn on fogs is to turn on headlights. I can, however, turn off the fogs and not use 'em at all. :D

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I cannot on my 1999 Nissan Maxima. Only way to turn on fogs is to turn on headlights. I can, however, turn off the fogs and not use 'em at all. :D
Those folks at Nissan, always ahead of the curve :D

If the goal is appearance, I think Honda managed to get away with the law by inserting the DRLs next to the fogs (previous Acura MDX gen), could it work in the Odyssey? It looks like a major custom though

·
Registered
359 Posts
a lot of other cars I owned, you could turn on the fogs with the parking lights, so it's not illegal to run them without the low beams.

Some people wire the fogs up to stay on with the high beams for more lighting. But that is illegal in most states, as it usually says no more the 4 forward lights at a time (high beams count as 2 each per side).

iazybandit, $500 family hook up price doesn't sound like a hook up? $429 for the fogs? They cost around $300 online....

·
Registered
291 Posts
a lot of other cars I owned, you could turn on the fogs with the parking lights, so it's not illegal to run them without the low beams.

Some people wire the fogs up to stay on with the high beams for more lighting. But that is illegal in most states, as it usually says no more the 4 forward lights at a time (high beams count as 2 each per side).

iazybandit, $500 family hook up price doesn't sound like a hook up? $429 for the fogs? They cost around $300 online....
Sorry, it was actually $300 installed. Missed typed. By the time I went to edit, I couldn't edit it anymore. Don't know why OdyClub doesn't let us edit posts rather than have a time limit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had my fog lights installed by a shop who previously installed my bumper guard on my 2015 Ody.
I supplied fog light kit from EBay, $55 and installation was $100 and took 45 mins. in Queens, NYC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts