Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Southern California and weather is rarely humid but front windshield has this hazy film on it and the only way to get ride of it is to keep the a/c running constantly to defog the windshield.

Anybody else have this experience?

any solutions? If I dont run the a/c to burn it off it causes visibility problems. I tried wiping it down several times but it keeps reoccurring.

TIA

·
Registered
447 Posts
I think it's water trapped in the air ducts from condensation that happens when you were running the a/c. If you didn't run your a/c for about a week or so, the air ducts would dry out. Then your windows wouldn't fog up when you run air thru the vents with the a/c button off.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what is a heater core?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
what is a heater core?
A heater core is like a small radiator that is mounted in or under you dash with a fan behind it. When you turn the heat on, coolant flows threw the heater core and the fan blows the air threw it and out to your ducts so you get warm air.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the explanation. I wish I ask this a lot earlier I am taking a trip to SF tonight. Will this heater core cause me any problem on my 7 hour drive to SF?

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
If the heater core were leaking you would smell the antifreeze. Kinda smells sweet. Maybe the a/c drain pipe is clogged? Do you see a water puddle on the ground under the front of the van after running the a/c?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not noticed any leaks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will be taking my family and hate to have problems do you guys think it's prudent to take the ody

·
Registered
60 Posts
you couldn't miss the smell if it is the heater core unless it was such a very small leak, if it is that small of a leak then I wouldn't worry about your trip.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did some more research and it sounds like I have a clogged air box aka plenum. Someone suggested I clean the opening. Anybody familiar with this part? I decided to leave to morning

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
When was the last time the A/C cabin filter was changed?

If it is just a film built up (but you need to find the source), then try hot water and vinegar solution with a newspaper to clean the windshield.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When was the last time the A/C cabin filter was changed?

If it is just a film built up (but you need to find the source), then try hot water and vinegar solution with a newspaper to clean the windshield.

a/c cabin filter was changed 2 months ago. I think I'll take it to the dealer and have them inspect it. my aftermarket warranty is good til next year.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
When you ask a question on a forum you will get a guess of every possible thing that could cause a similar problem. The heater core guess is way out in left field as 1 your rad overflow tank would be going down, 2 you would be getting an oily film on the windshield that wouldn't be eliminated by the blower. A blocked cabin filter will just smell and maybe cut down on the amount of air coming out of the vwnts. The most common cause of this problem is that the A/C evaporator drain is blocked which causes water to sit in the housing. Have the dealer or a mechanic check it out.
When you ask a question on an open forum you need to be able to eliminate all the WAG's.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When you ask a question on a forum you will get a guess of every possible thing that could cause a similar problem. The heater core guess is way out in left field as 1 your rad overflow tank would be going down, 2 you would be getting an oily film on the windshield that wouldn't be eliminated by the blower. A blocked cabin filter will just smell and maybe cut down on the amount of air coming out of the vwnts. The most common cause of this problem is that the A/C evaporator drain is blocked which causes water to sit in the housing. Have the dealer or a mechanic check it out.
When you ask a question on an open forum you need to be able to eliminate all the WAG's.
Thanks WW, where do you think I can find the a/c evaporator drain and how do I go about unblocking it?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
It is at the passenger firewall under the evaporator. Hard to find and get to.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is at the passenger firewall under the evaporator. Hard to find and get to.
Update:

I took the Ody into the dealership to have them look at the problem since its still under an aftermarket warranty. Car was there for 2 days and they said they couldn't replicate the problem :huh:. I even recommend they look at the evaporator drain (i doubt they did). They were nice enough not to charge me a diagnostic fee but I was not happy with the outcome.

Took the car back ran the a/c. I noticed that when the a/c is off and I'm allowing fresh air in the fog starts up. However if i get the recir. on it doesn't appear or it dissipates.

I'm thinking of trying to solve this problem myself. WW, anyway you can upload a diagram of the evaporator drain location?

thanks,

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi, I am from Socal and Normally , i drive the same way, if its a cool day, i have the air on from outside with no A/C, or even the windows open. never had any windshield fog issue.

what is wierd is i have the opposite experience, if i have fresh air on, i dont have any fog, if i have the recirculate and no windows open, i get fog but only when i have many people in the van. it gets warm and the hot air from all the breathing tends to fog things up.

aside from that, the only other thing that could fog the van up is if the carpet or seats are wet.

is it just the front windshield? or the whole van that fogs up?

i think we need more observation...

CK

·
Registered
157 Posts
locate the evaporator drain location from the engine side by checking the firewall, there should be a short hose that ends abruptly jutting out from the fire wall. i believe it should be midway to lower relative to the engine.

alternatively, you should be able to look at your A/C from the inside and see this hose from the lowest end of it, wife is out right now so i cant check for sure...
it should be located in the middle of the dash board, right between the firewall and the A/C...

dunno if i am making sense here. hehe

So if the fog is formed from the inside of the car windshield, that means that the inside of the car is warmer than the outside and there is moisture present.
if the moisture is outside, then the outside is warmer than the inside. you could observe that in soda bottles i think.

CK

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
locate the evaporator drain location from the engine side by checking the firewall, there should be a short hose that ends abruptly jutting out from the fire wall. i believe it should be midway to lower relative to the engine.

alternatively, you should be able to look at your A/C from the inside and see this hose from the lowest end of it, wife is out right now so i cant check for sure...
it should be located in the middle of the dash board, right between the firewall and the A/C...

dunno if i am making sense here. hehe

So if the fog is formed from the inside of the car windshield, that means that the inside of the car is warmer than the outside and there is moisture present.
if the moisture is outside, then the outside is warmer than the inside. you could observe that in soda bottles i think.

CK

CK,

Fog only occur after the usage of a/c. If i dont ran the a/c I dont have the problem. For instance, if I'm taking a trip in the afternoon say around 2pm and its hot, I run the a/c. We'll get out of the car and come back say in early evening like 6pm and its much cooler. I start the car and hit a/c off button and also letting in fresh air. Fog starts rolling up from the vents. In order to burn it off I would have to run the a/c on the windshield. I noticed that if I ran it with the recir mode it doesnt fog up as bad and kinda makes the fog go away. The fog was very heavy when I first got the vehicle. Sort of a safety hazard as it was affecting road vision and it was annoyance to have to run the a/c constantly to keep it off.

After cleaning the windshields a few times and coming back from a long road 800 mile road trip with a/c on all the time. At the present moment, I notice the fog is less dense and its much concentrated near the bottom where the vents are located. So its possible that it might eventually solved itself???? :huh:

I didnt get a chance to look at it because I just got home. Plus its the wife's car so I'll have to take a look at it another time. thanks for the input. I'll see if I can find that evap drain.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts