Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you say somewhere that you currently have a Toyota van? Wouldn't be a Previa would it?

------------------

'66 Mustang convertible (former, pre-mommy life)
'99 CSS EX (gone but not forgotten)
'01 GG EX (Humpty Dumpty - you know the story)
'02 GG EXL NAV (Under construction)

...come over the hill Carolina. Devils & Deacs
stand in line...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
Yes, it's a Previa.</font>
Just curious. Don't know what year you have, but we dumped our '96 in a hurry after it failed a crash test miserably. The '94-'97's were rated poor to marginal by the IIHS.
http://www.hwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/96022.htm Safety is our biggest concern when choosing a vehicle. If you have a '94 to '97 Previa, getting an Ody to replace it is obviously a good move. The head guy for the IIHS immediately got rid of his own Previa referring to it as a "death trap." Gives new meaning to the words entirely inadequate doesn't it? The best booster seat money can buy won't matter if the car it's in can't protect its occupants. But, since you're getting rid of it, you probably already know all of this.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I'm aware of some of that, yes. I presume it's mostly because the engine isn't up front to take the abuse in an accident. I don't think it's as bad as a Microbus, but it's not as good as even a 93 Chrysler. As Lee Iacocca said, "We like to put the engine and other crushable items up front so they arrive at the scene of the accident before the passengers."

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
I'm aware of some of that, yes. I presume it's mostly because the engine isn't up front to take the abuse in an accident. I don't think it's as bad as a Microbus, but it's not as good as even a 93 Chrysler. As Lee Iacocca said, "We like to put the engine and other crushable items up front so they arrive at the scene of the accident before the passengers."</font>
I would imagine the engine placement had much to do with it. It's a shame really. Other than having a wierd bubble like look, it was a great van. Very solid, sturdy and really comfortable. Too bad the ody mid seats don't swivel around and fully recline like the Previa's did. Toyota was pricing themselves out of the market on that thing though too getting up around 30k, so it's probably just as well....

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hey 'as bad as the microbus'??? Are you talking about the new VW or the one from the 70s? ..or the Eurovan? I thought the new microbus was a pretty cool looking retro-geeky van but don't know squat about it or if its even in production.

From what I gather; its more a 'post gen d' type of thing anyway; doesn't really look like its marketed to us safety-nuts. I mean do we really need LCDs in every headrest? (Don't answer that, VideoNAVI)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts