Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the integrated unit that fits where the storage compartment would go basically just a housing for the vcp? In other words, does it seem like it would be possible to eventually slip out the vcp and put in a DVD player? Is this possible from a wiring standpoint or too good to be true?
Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
127 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3odys4me:
Is the integrated unit that fits where the storage compartment would go basically just a housing for the vcp? In other words, does it seem like it would be possible to eventually slip out the vcp and put in a DVD player? Is this possible from a wiring standpoint or too good to be true?
Thanks for any info.
</font>
The iVES console holds the VCP upright and also has a small tray at the bottom to hold a few tapes, along with an auxiliary a/v input. THe VCP doesn't exactly "slip out"-one would have to remove the console housing and replace the VCP with a DVD player. IF the DVD had the same form factor, it would probably fir, but I don;t know about the harness-mine was preinstalled, and I have not yet gotten around to taking off the console and poking around. This is just a matter of time, since i can't remove my front floor mats without at least loosening the console (I think).

------------------
2001 EX
iVES
Infinity 652s/452s/105ts
Honda Wood Dash
Wheel Locks
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Cargo Cover
Roof Rails
Cassette Player
Heartland console

Coming up: Foglights,CD Changer,Glove Box Light

·
Registered
127 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by odyfox:
The iVES console holds the VCP upright and also has a small tray at the bottom to hold a few tapes, along with an auxiliary a/v input. THe VCP doesn't exactly "slip out"-one would have to remove the console housing and replace the VCP with a DVD player. IF the DVD had the same form factor, it would probably fir, but I don;t know about the harness-mine was preinstalled, and I have not yet gotten around to taking off the console and poking around. This is just a matter of time, since i can't remove my front floor mats without at least loosening the console (I think).

</font>
I took a look at the iVES install manual from the HandA web site, and it shows a 16-pin connector intrerfacing with the iVES VCP. That probably means substituting a DVD player for the VCP is not going to be very straightforward. I have been pondering the same issue (I also want a DVD player for my iVES), and I am now wondering if it may be easier to modify/replace the iVES console to accomodate a DVD player-then the AUX a/v inputs and the 12V power source could be used to connect up the DVD player without having to do some sort of custom harness, which sounds messy. I'll think about this some more and post any ideas I have on the subject.

------------------
2001 EX
iVES
Infinity 652s/452s/105ts
Honda Wood Dash
Wheel Locks
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Cargo Cover
Roof Rails
Cassette Player
Heartland console

Coming up: Foglights,CD Changer,Glove Box Light

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> I have not yet gotten around to taking off the console and poking around. This is just a matter of time, since i can't remove my front floor mats without at least loosening the console (I think).

That's a hassle. I can see how that might be necessary though from the picture in the brochure. Thanks for the info. Post the details if you do take it apart.
[/B]</font>

·
Registered
36 Posts
To take out the floor mat, pop off the 4 black clips that are holding the console in place and lift the console out. There are a couple of harnesses connected to the console that you have to unclip. The floor mat will slide out with a little work.

The tension on the floor mat is not from the console. It is the back of the VCR and the wiring harness that is pressing against the floor mat. You should be able to gently work it back and forth to get it out.

You can probably take it out without removing the console, but it will be harder because there is no room between the console and the seats.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mikester:
To take out the floor mat, pop off the 4 black clips that are holding the console in place and lift the console out. There are a couple of harnesses connected to the console that you have to unclip. The floor mat will slide out with a little work.

The tension on the floor mat is not from the console. It is the back of the VCR and the wiring harness that is pressing against the floor mat. You should be able to gently work it back and forth to get it out.

You can probably take it out without removing the console, but it will be harder because there is no room between the console and the seats.
</font>
Thanks. Will file this tip away for future reference
Another question. From what I can tell from the brochure and the H and A site, the vcp/housing just takes the place of the flip out storage bin. Is that correct? In other words, there are no cuts made to accomodate it. I was just wondering if I should ask to keep the storage bin when my dealer does the install so that I could replace it if we ever pull out the VCP. Appreciate the info.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That is correct. There are no cuts made to the center console. There are 2 factory bolts that are replaced with longer ones to attach the VCR mounting hardware.

When I installed my IVES, I kept all the old parts as well. Of course, if you ever did remove the IVES, you would have to figure out what to do about the big hole in the headliner where the flipdown monitor is, but that's another story.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is correct. There are no cuts made to the center console. There are 2 factory bolts that are replaced with longer ones to attach the VCR mounting hardware.

When I installed my IVES, I kept all the old parts as well. Of course, if you ever did remove the IVES, you would have to figure out what to do about the big hole in the headliner where the flipdown monitor is, but that's another story.
</font>
Thanks for the reply. That's good to know. I will have the dealer keep all the parts for us.
I wouldn't consider taking the monitor out, don't even want to think about buying and replacing a headliner
I was just thinking in terms of eventually changing out the player (from vcp to dvd.) Wouldn't it be possible to keep the same monitor? Thanks for sharing your expertise.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It should be possible to keep the monitor. I think we are pretty much at the mercy of Honda to release a DVD upgrade for the IVES. Otherwise, some 3rd party would have to release one that a) had the same form factor as the VCP and b) was compatible with the IVES wiring harnass (or had an adapter).

Personally, I think we will be getting a PS2 or an XBox. Both of these systems will play DVDs as well as video games. Just waiting for the XBox to come out to see which one I want to invest in.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It should be possible to keep the monitor. I think we are pretty much at the mercy of Honda to release a DVD upgrade for the IVES. Otherwise, some 3rd party would have to release one that a) had the same form factor as the VCP and b) was compatible with the IVES wiring harnass (or had an adapter).

Personally, I think we will be getting a PS2 or an XBox. Both of these systems will play DVDs as well as video games. Just waiting for the XBox to come out to see which one I want to invest in.
</font>
That sounds like a plan. One thing I have forgotten to ask you .... do you like the I-ves? We currently have an audiovox flip down system w/ the vcp mounted under the flip down tray. Works great, looks great, but it's a hassle to get the tapes in and out because it faces the rear. It seems like it would be great to just have everything up front, visible and easily accessible. My 5 year old can run the remote fortunately, but I hate to have my attention distracted and my rotator cuff torqued dealing with the tapes. Thanks again for your information, it's been helpful.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, we love our IVES. The location of the VCP was a major factor for us. Our kids are 4 and 1, so we needed the VCP to be accessible from the front. Plus, even when they get older, we want to control when they can watch tapes.

Also, the system is integrated so perfectly with the rest of the van. It just looks like it came that way, which we really like.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I also think the i-VES is just great. The position of the VCP is convenient, it is easy to use and the quality of the picture on the screen is remarkably good. Those wireless headsets are a godsend; having to listen to 10 repetitions of the same kiddie video is sooo painful.

I ordered this system sight unseen and it has really exceeded my expectations. I would like DVD capability, though. and am leaning toward buying a PS2 or x-box rather than a mobile DVD player. This way you would also get games capability, which your kids will love.

------------------
vangirl

'01 SS EX with i-VES, Kelton Subwoofer, trailer hitch, cross bars, LX radio/cassette, in-dash CD changer, fog lights, cargo tray

'00 New Formula Red S2000
'00 Flamenco Black Pearl Civic EX

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, we love our IVES. The location of the VCP was a major factor for us. Our kids are 4 and 1, so we needed the VCP to be accessible from the front. Plus, even when they get older, we want to control when they can watch tapes.

Also, the system is integrated so perfectly with the rest of the van. It just looks like it came that way, which we really like.
</font>
Thanks. Sold!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vangirl:
I also think the i-VES is just great. The position of the VCP is convenient, it is easy to use and the quality of the picture on the screen is remarkably good. Those wireless headsets are a godsend; having to listen to 10 repetitions of the same kiddie video is sooo painful.

I ordered this system sight unseen and it has really exceeded my expectations. I would like DVD capability, though. and am leaning toward buying a PS2 or x-box rather than a mobile DVD player. This way you would also get games capability, which your kids will love.
</font>
Thanks for your comments. Our current system has the wireless headsets -- they rock. It's nice to hear that the picture quality is good on the I-ves monitor too. We're not committed to DVD technology in our home yet and my kids don't do video games yet so I will be able to avoid another expenditure for now. By the time we're ready to change over they'll be more new stuff to choose from probably. This will work for now. Looking forward to having the vcp front and center. Thanks again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3odys4me:
Thanks for your comments. Our current system has the wireless headsets -- they rock. It's nice to hear that the picture quality is good on the I-ves monitor too. We're not committed to DVD technology in our home yet and my kids don't do video games yet so I will be able to avoid another expenditure for now. By the time we're ready to change over they'll be more new stuff to choose from probably. This will work for now. Looking forward to having the vcp front and center. Thanks again.</font>
We are committed to DVD at home, but not for kids stuff. I just have a hard time paying $25 for Barney! Also, my oldest is only 4, and although he has a Gameboy Advance (OK, we share it), he is just starting to get the hang of that, so we can wait a little bit for video games. So even though we plan on adding a game system with DVD capability, we have the luxury of waiting. Mainly, I want to see what the XBox has to offer - the platform looks good, just don't know if they will have as many titles as Sony.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts