Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a 2002 Sienna XLE prior to buying our 19 Ody EX. The A/C on our 19 Ody EX is cold and working to our expectations.

But after having a leak in the A/C for our 02 Sienna which our Toyota dealer fixed, the A/C was very weak and would not get cold enough. After many trips to the dealer to fix the A/C, I had to buy an analog and a digital temperature meter to verify to the dealer that the temperature was not cold enough.

Now here's the final fix that may help our 2018+ Ody friends experiencing weak A/C:
The final fix was to LOWER the pressure of the refrigerant TO THE MINIMUM recommended pressure. Yes, it would seem that the maximum recommended pressure would be better, which apparently is what the dealer was doing all along, but for our Sienna, when they lowered the pressure to the minimum the A/C got cold.

Hope this helps someone with a warm A/C,
Raptor88

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
You don't adjust pressures with refrigerant. You adjust refrigerant by weight. The max weight vs the min weight is only around an ounce. The problems with the 2018's in many cases was undercharging from the factory.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't adjust pressures with refrigerant. You adjust refrigerant by weight. The max weight vs the min weight is only around an ounce. The problems with the 2018's in many cases was undercharging from the factory.
I'm sharing what my Toyota dealer told me. What I posted is what he said when the problem was resolved. Anyway, if it helps someone, the technicalities are up to the dealer's A/C technician not to the Ody owner.

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
It's what the tech told the service advisor and the service advisor told you. I've seen much get lost in translation there.

·
Registered
290 Posts
It's what the tech told the service advisor and the service advisor told you. I've seen much get lost in translation there.
John, do the automotive TXVs have adjustable superheat or are they fixed at one non adjustable setting? Is it possible that may be what they had to adjust, or what they were referring to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
There are adjustments on the TXV's but they are set at the factory and no adjustment is supposed to be made. Finding an automotive tech that would know how to measure superheat (or subcooling) would be a feat in itself.

Really, there should be no adjustment made to anything. If the parts on the vehicle are correct, the vehicle should be filled with the listed amount of refrigerant and it should work. Making adjustments means something else is not right.

·
Registered
290 Posts
There are adjustments on the TXV's but they are set at the factory and no adjustment is supposed to be made. Finding an automotive tech that would know how to measure superheat (or subcooling) would be a feat in itself.

Really, there should be no adjustment made to anything. If the parts on the vehicle are correct, the vehicle should be filled with the listed amount of refrigerant and it should work. Making adjustments means something else is not right.
Oh, right, I forgot how difficult it would be to measure those numbers accurately on a vehicle. It makes sense to use preset valves.

Without considering the access, I had thought maybe they had a run of them leave the factory that were adjusted wrong. (It was a stab in the dark with a foam knife).

Removing charge doesn’t make much sense to me as a solution unless it was cycling off on a safety. If that was happening then they probably had an overcharge in the circuit. Maybe the tank got bumped while it was getting weighed in or out the first time (it will only ever be speculation at this point).

Glad the issue got fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts