Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 EX-L and have decided that we do not want a in-car RES system. We have two kids, 3.5 and 1.5 yr old. At this point, when it is time for the movies, I just give my 3.5 the iPad. However, as the 1.5 gets older, this won't work as he wants one too (and it is too much to have two iPad in the house) so it is best to find a way to share. There are many cheap devices that allow you to mount a DVD player or iPad on the back of the driver/front passenger seats, but it is difficult to for the two kids to share the same screen. I did a search here and found that some people like this: www.sackso.com, which allows you to install a DVD player between the two front seats. Some may worry that having an object suspended in the middle of the car may pose a danger in case of a collision ... So what is your solution, if you don't mind sharing. Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have used the "strap to the headrest" DVD players in the past, and in my opinion, they are not a significant danger in the event of a crash. If it's a highway speed rollover, or some otehr catastrophic event, the stroller/camping gear/groceries are a bigger worry, and I don't have them secured. The brand I have is phillips, and I got them from ebay, there are several sellers.
One thing to watch for is that depending on the model you purchase, it may have two screens that must watch the same prgramming, or two independant screens each with it's own disc reader. I bought refurbished for about $130, including shipping to canada.

·
Registered
134 Posts
We have the strap on DVD player. It's been great! We've even plugged in the a Nintendo game machine to it. On occasion we've run the audio through the stereo using the Aux input we added. It has two 7" screens that are adjustable and right in front of the passengers so they're not having to look up and at an angle at a single ceiling mounted monitor.

The flexibility is better as well. We can put it in the other car and have taken the DVD player out and into hotel rooms to watch movies on the tv or the kids can watch movies in one room with the system. Further more, I am not worried about some system that will be attached to the car and out dated. I paid about $179 for the system and that was 6 years ago when we bought the '06 Odyssey. Also, you don't have to worry about your kids holding or dropping or spilling on your over-priced ipad. You can use any headset/earbuds or headphones with it as well. The system stores out of site in the lazy susan area when traveling and not in use. When not traveling I use the player and have it hooked to our bedroom tv.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Look out the window, and see the bright, beautiful world. Its OK to be bored! Like I say to my kids, "When I was your age, I had to get up to change the channel!"

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought a pair of headrest monitors ($300) and then fed the video into a Sony PSP which I keep under the seat. I can load up a bunch of content onto a memory stick and my kids are good for hours and hours on long trips. Other than long trips the monitors are zipped up and we talk.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you all for the suggestions. Here is what I have found so far. We have decided to use iPad for all entertaining use so I bought this from Amazon to mount the iPad: iPad Accessories/ Headrest Mount

This allows two people to share a movie and can be easily removed without a tool. I have bought a cheap wireless speaker that can be put in the pocket of the back of the front seats so they can hear the movies better. I collected online a couple of free softwares (eg., Handbrake) that can rip DVDs to the mp4 format to be played on iPad. Thus I think we are all set for a while. As the kids grow and technology moves forward, we will modify this set up as we go.

The reason we try not to add a DVD player to the mix is to reduce the amount of stuffs we have to bring. The iPad is not only a movie player, it also has books, games and other apps that kids love so it is one device that does it all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My fear with something like that iPad mount is what happens in the event of an accident. The thought of a head-high iPad flying around the cabin is kind of frightening.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it is a concern. We will only mount it for the time we need to watch the movies so it is a risk we are willing to take for now. We no longer own any DVD player. Our iPad is padded and the mount itself has rubber to cover the exposed parts and holds the iPad pretty tightly. In the future, we most likely will get another tablet and then they can be each mounted right behind the headrests.

KenS, for your DVD units, is it $300 for two? What brand and model is it?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wow, that is one heck of a contraption. I would also be concerned about what would happen in the event of an accident. Also, since the iPad is only held in with compression instead of straps, the iPad would end up being a projectile. At least with head rest mounts, they are fixed to the headrest so the iPads/mount would not act as a swinging guillotine. Good idea about only mounting it when in use. This will limit risk along with not broadcasting to thieves that there may be an iPad somewhere in the vehicle. Another option would be to just mount the one iPad right behind the headrest in front of one of the kids. the other one would have to turn their head a bit. you would have to decide which child would be more tolerable. then later on, you can add another.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We don't have a DVD, although we could use one if needed. I bought these: L0218 Eonon Grey 9" Digital LCD Car Headrest Monitors and ran the input cables down under the seats into a little amp/combiner that I mounted at the base of the driver's seat. I then provide content to both by plugging in a Sony PSP, but you could use anything with a video out. I was actually wrong about the price...the monitors were $185 for both. That didn't include the IR headphones though...I bought a pair of those from Amazon for about $50.
The nice thing about the Sony PSP is it's size and the ability to store so much content on a single memory stick. You can set the PSP to play the video content sequentially so it can truly be set and forget.
It also has very, very good battery life (10 hours on the extended battery). When it gets low I just run the charging cable from one of the front outlets to it or pop in our second battery. All of this is under the center console.
Like the iPad we can also take the PSP with us into hotel rooms, etc. and play the content on any TV quite easily.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you all for the suggestions. Here is what I have found so far. We have decided to use iPad for all entertaining use so I bought this from Amazon to mount the iPad: iPad Accessories/ Headrest Mount

This allows two people to share a movie and can be easily removed without a tool. I have bought a cheap wireless speaker that can be put in the pocket of the back of the front seats so they can hear the movies better. I collected online a couple of free softwares (eg., Handbrake) that can rip DVDs to the mp4 format to be played on iPad. Thus I think we are all set for a while. As the kids grow and technology moves forward, we will modify this set up as we go.

The reason we try not to add a DVD player to the mix is to reduce the amount of stuffs we have to bring. The iPad is not only a movie player, it also has books, games and other apps that kids love so it is one device that does it all.
How do you like your GripDaddy Mount? We have the other one that does not extend to the middle of the seats. Once we have two children we'll probably purchase the one you have. If you haven't purchased it yet and you have an iPhone, I highly recommend Tango Remote:

App Store - Tango Remote Control Media Player HD

It allows you to control the iPad from your iPhone. It's a media player in and of itself, but it lets you see what's playing, adjust volume and switch videos/songs. It's been the best $5 spent!

As for the fear of the iPad flying off in an accident, I have a big concern with that as well. I plan on modifying the mount so that it will stay put if that were to happen. I'll post pics if I end up figuring something out, but it will probably be a few weeks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Happyvan,

I'm moving away from my PSP and going to use a WDLive TV Hub to feed my two monitors. Converting DVDs to MP4s takes too much time and all too often you end up with lip sync issues or bad files. With the Western Digital device I just copy my DVD rips over to the device (1TB HD) and I'm good to go.
Oh, I misquoted on my headrest monitors...the two of them cost me $160 and came with a distribution amp.
I use a Xantrex powerback in the back of the van to power the whole thing...it'll run for 12 - 14 hours without a charge...and I can charge it off a cigagrette lighter at the same time and it runs forever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts