Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the dirty oil left in the motor if the filter is not changed, a look at the Helm manual will tell you that there is over one-half a quart of "dirty" oil left in the motor ANYTIME you change the oil. Notice that the amount of oil to fill the crankcase is different for a normal oil change and for an engine overhaul. I had never considered that possibility before, but I imagine it holds true for almost any motor.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 GG LX

·
Registered
130 Posts
You think that's bad, check out the trans oil...

4 speed - 7.6 qt at overhaul, ONLY 3.1 for fluid change

'02 5 speed - 8.3 qt at overhaul, ONLY 3.5 qt for fluid change

Seems like the new oil would get contaminated pretty quick with so much old oil still floating around.

[This message has been edited by jets (edited 03-13-2002).]

·
Registered
483 Posts
For the 2002 tranny, the drain plug is magnetic and would capture miniscule metal shavings. I just changed mine at 3600 mi. I know it's not necessary but I'm a fluid man. Always like fliuds smelling and looking new
. Trying to find a magnetic one for the oil drain plug.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Magnetic oil plug is a old but excellent idea. I remember see these advertised back in the sixtys in car mags. If you find one let us all know. I would surely purchase one.

·
Registered
317 Posts
As far as the trans fluid goes, don't know if this is possible in the honda but for volvos the way to change the trans fluid is to disconnect one of the lines to the rad and turning on the engine to pump out the old fliud, after a couple of times of adding fluid and pumping it thru its as fresh as ever. Maybe someone may know if this works for honda. Ken

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kanadary:
As far as the trans fluid goes, don't know if this is possible in the honda but for volvos the way to change the trans fluid is to disconnect one of the lines to the rad and turning on the engine to pump out the old fliud, after a couple of times of adding fluid and pumping it thru its as fresh as ever. Maybe someone may know if this works for honda. Ken</font>
This type of fluid change can be risky, should you somehow let air enter the system. If one skilled, it may be o.k., but, with the price of such equipment, I would not recommend it.

I believe all the Odysseys have a magnetic plug in the transmission sump. I removed mine the other day, at 12K miles and it had a light coating of scavenged material, which I believe is normal. My Caravan just had a strong magnet in the transmission pan, which did the same job. I, too, would like to have a magnetic one in the engine sump, as well.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 GG LX w/MacNeil Deflector and front window deflectors; MacNeil LampGuards; Michelin XGTH4s, size 235/60HR16.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jets:
You think that's bad, check out the trans oil...

4 speed - 7.6 qt at overhaul, ONLY 3.1 for fluid change

'02 5 speed - 8.3 qt at overhaul, ONLY 3.5 qt for fluid change

Jets, the difference is that the transmission oil is not contaminated with combustion by-products. The only contamination would be seen, if the fluid was broken down from excessive heat, thus forming varnishes and failing to properly do its job. This is why I have decided to "change" my ATF at every other oil change. I'm sure that will keep it fresh and will not cause me much extra work.

Jerry O.

Seems like the new oil would get contaminated pretty quick with so much old oil still floating around.

[This message has been edited by jets (edited 03-13-2002).]
</font>

------------------
2001 GG LX w/MacNeil Deflector and front window deflectors; MacNeil LampGuards; Michelin XGTH4s, size 235/60HR16.

·
Registered
58 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kuruma Hayai:
For the 2002 tranny, the drain plug is magnetic and would capture miniscule metal shavings.</font>
It's also true for the tranny drain plug on the 99.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts