Honda Odyssey Forum banner

221 - 240 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
One of my original concerns were NOT using Honda exclusive ATF DW-1 as it says on the manual.
I thought of it as if I am changing viscosity of the engine motor oil (ie. going 0w20 to 10w30 because 0w20 is too thin etc) But after hearing many of users in this forum switching away from Honda DW-1, now I am somewhat serious about it.
Question is, when I mis DW-1 and Valvoline at first Drain-and-fill, will it cause any issue? It says not to mix DW-1 with any other ATF. I normally do first Drain-and-fill then drive about 1 week (~500 miles) then do second. Then drive another 500 miles for the 3rd & last change.

@rmyoder
I will do one Drain-and-fill in about 15,000 after this 'flush' since I still have some DW-1 left from my bulk purchase :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Even a 3x drain/fill wont remove all of the old, so it wont cause problems (at least, I had no problems with PPLV, and the Amsoil and Redline reps say theirs can be mixed with DW1).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but my 2014 with 94k has this issue and the dealer is aware if the tsb and wants to charge me $380 to do the 3x drain/fill and software update. I have Hondacare extended warranty until Friday (yes, three days) or 120k miles. My question is why the heck wouldn’t Hondacare warranty cover this? I will call Honda crimsoned support tomorrow and hope that the dealer is just wrong, as they previously were when I had a tpms go bad last year. This is a transmission operation issue and in my mind is covered but anyone with experience on this? Thank you.

·
Registered
13,604 Posts
Were are you? Perhaps a local could suggest a better dealer.
Also, how many normal drain & fills have you had over that 94K?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Philly, PA area and yes had the trans regular fluid change at 37k and 66k miles. I also thought I complained about the trans about two years ago but I can’t find any documentation other than the two fluid changes. At that time, I am pretty sure the service guy said they refreshed the pcm - I am going to ask when I call them this am. I don’t tow but do have a hitch for bikes that we rarely use. Also have the factory trans cooler (yes, the whimpy one). I have been a member here since 2001 (bkh) but lost my old credentials since I was absent for a while. This is my 4th odyssey (I have two accords too) with the same dealer and what is most annoying is that my service writer that I had for 15 plus years was moved to the express service likely because he was honest and never tried to upsell anything. The fact that my Honda care warranty may not cover this is insane...again, the dealer tried to pull the same no coverage on the tpms and only after I called Honda care did they cover it. At least on that one there is a nuance between the tpms valve and the sensor. Also, the hours that Honda will pay pursuant to the tsb don’t add up to $380 so why should I pay more than that? Rhetorical question because I know the TSBs are notoriously low on allocated time. Thanks again for any thoughts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2016 Odyssey SE, 55k miles. We appear to have an intermittent jarring clunk between gears. I also have been stuck in 2nd gear going 60mph. I had just pulled the vehicle out of the garage and started noticing this issue. Brought to the dealership, but they couldn't recreate it. While I was dropping off my van, a lady walked in and she, too, was having the same issue with her 2016 Odyssey. Do they feel the transmission flush is what fixes this <see video for details>? I really have doubts that a transmission flush fixes this ....

In the videos below it may sound like I'm running over a pothole, but those are the shifts jarring the van. We actually leased this vehicle and I was planning on buying after the lease was done, but I'm ready to walk at the end.

·
Registered
173 Posts
2016 Odyssey SE, 55k miles. We appear to have an intermittent jarring clunk between gears. I also have been stuck in 2nd gear going 60mph. I had just pulled the vehicle out of the garage and started noticing this issue. Brought to the dealership, but they couldn't recreate it. While I was dropping off my van, a lady walked in and she, too, was having the same issue with her 2016 Odyssey. Do they feel the transmission flush is what fixes this <see video for details>? I really have doubts that a transmission flush fixes this ....
How many transmission fluid services have you had in the van, and of what type (single drain and fill, multiple drain and fills, Dealer or independent shop)?

Not sure on the harsh shifts, but I do seem so RPM hunting that is definitely a fluid issue.

Oh, and you shouldn't call it a fluid flush. That implies a machine that 'power flushes' the transmission. You need a standard transmission fluid change (drain and fill), maybe 3x, and you may have a transmission programming update available.

If that doesn't fix it, then there is more investigation to be done...

-Charlie

·
Registered
6 Posts
How many transmission fluid services have you had in the van, and of what type (single drain and fill, multiple drain and fills, Dealer or independent shop)?

Not sure on the harsh shifts, but I do seem so RPM hunting that is definitely a fluid issue.

Oh, and you shouldn't call it a fluid flush. That implies a machine that 'power flushes' the transmission. You need a standard transmission fluid change (drain and fill), maybe 3x, and you may have a transmission programming update available.

If that doesn't fix it, then there is more investigation to be done...

-Charlie
I actually haven't had any flushes, I don't think... I have all my oil changes done at the dealership and they haven't mentioned anything ever. I just got wind that they did do the fluid service and update, so we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
13,604 Posts
Do you pay any attention to the letter codes the MID (multi Information Display) sets as due once your oil life reaches 15%? You should have had a code 3 at the fourth oil change. The service interval for those not playing along with the quite scientific MID oil life percentage messages, every 30k is the current recommendation. (for the Honda trans anyway, the new ZF one is every 50k) Those of us with older more problematic transmissions use a 15k interval (every other oil change) Regular transmission fluid changes are normal for all Honda automatics since they introduced one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ugh, I don’t really pay attention to them, but I will now. I just figured they would tell me when I need fluids changed. They seem to want to sell me on every other service :) lol

A quick update. A lady was in dropping her 2016 Odyssey off to get looked at for the 3rd time when I dropped my car off a couple days ago for what seemed like the same issue. We chatted with the service manager and we both had the same symptoms and the service manager seemed to possibly think they were the same issue. Well, today after they flushed the fluids and did the computer update I stopped back to pick mine up. No kidding, the same lady was there dropping off her van and they were able to pull the code this time bc she came in when it was happening. The explanation I got is I need to bring mine in when it is happening to be sure it is it and the issue was a ?pressure? sensor...something about 3rd gear pressure sensor ? Seems SUPER weird that I ran into this lady, but I’m glad I did.

·
Registered
13,604 Posts
Automatic transmissions have been computer controlled since the mid 1990s, so a sensor failure could be related to both of your issues. In any case you needed that software update and the fluid replacement. I wonder what the code was?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Ugh, I don’t really pay attention to them, but I will now. I just figured they would tell me when I need fluids changed. They seem to want to sell me on every other service :) lol

A quick update. A lady was in dropping her 2016 Odyssey off to get looked at for the 3rd time when I dropped my car off a couple days ago for what seemed like the same issue. We chatted with the service manager and we both had the same symptoms and the service manager seemed to possibly think they were the same issue. Well, today after they flushed the fluids and did the computer update I stopped back to pick mine up. No kidding, the same lady was there dropping off her van and they were able to pull the code this time bc she came in when it was happening. The explanation I got is I need to bring mine in when it is happening to be sure it is it and the issue was a ?pressure? sensor...something about 3rd gear pressure sensor ? Seems SUPER weird that I ran into this lady, but I’m glad I did.
Sounds like a ATF oil pressure switch. It's not an unknown problem in these vans, but it's not terribly serious. Have a look at this thread:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hopefully if/when my van starts acting up again the service department is open and they can pull the code. From what I was told, it's a temporary code that is cleared when you turn off the van. I'll update the thread if/when that happens.

On the plus side, the tranny flush and update fixed the juddering that I just figured was a 'feature' :) I had an 03 MDX prior to this that had the same judder that wouldn't go away, so I didn't pay much attention to it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I confirmed that honda care warranty will not cover the 3x flush and fill. The flush and fill is covered up to 8 years or 80k miles genially. Naturally, I am outside of that. I do think Honda customer service may be helpful for me. I have documented records of changing the trans fluid at 38k and again at 70k as well as performing all other scheduled maintenance. Honda has generally been good to me if you illustrate prior service and loyalty to the brand. We will see.

·
Registered
16 Posts
151,000 miles on my ‘11. Owned since new. Pulled 3,500 pound trailers, and another 1,200 pounds in the van, over 2,000 miles once every 1-2 years. Honda transmission cooler. Drain and filled 3.3 quarts of Honda DW1 fluid around every 30,000 miles. Lived in hot Phoenix, Vegas, and Florida. No problems whatsoever with my transmission.

·
Registered
702 Posts
All of you thinking of switching away from the Honda DW1, you want to be very careful and do all your home work!!! Most of the over the counter ATF are not designed for the Honda "automatic transmission"!!! Most of Honda's automatic transmissions are unusual in that they do not use planetary gears like nearly all other makers, however Honda has recently introduced (2017) an all-new, in-house designed 10-speed automatic that uses planetary gears. The DW-1 ATF is designed to properly lubricate certain Honda "automatic transmissions". The DW-1 has special lubricating additives which are not in the over the counter ATF. I highly suggest you read the following article: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5171699/1 before switching to any non Honda approved ATF. Just because it says it is “Suitable for Use in” Honda DW1 and Z1 transmissions does not mean that Honda approved it!!! Do not put ATF product in your Honda transmission unless you know know it has the proper additives required by Honda. The wrong ATF may lead to a premature death of your Odyssey's transmission!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 2014 with 87,000 miles so I am just out of warranty on the A17-043 TSB. One of my local dealers wants $585 to update software and 3 x D&F transmission according to TSB. I may ask the other two dealers what they charge, but knowing I am out of warranty, I am tempted to perform the 3 x D&F myself.

Has anyone done the D&F WITHOUT the software update? Wondering if the problem went away or if it came back? How important is this software update? Opinions welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
Are you having transmission issues currently? I have a 2015 and have never had the software update, but I drained and filled myself numerous times and no tranny issues at all...I wouldn't pay them that kind of cash when you can do it so easily yourself with far better fluids than OEM...

·
Registered
13,604 Posts
I have 2014 with 87,000 miles so I am just out of warranty on the A17-043 TSB. One of my local dealers wants $585 to update software and 3 x D&F transmission according to TSB. I may ask the other two dealers what they charge, but knowing I am out of warranty, I am tempted to perform the 3 x D&F myself.

Has anyone done the D&F WITHOUT the software update? Wondering if the problem went away or if it came back? How important is this software update? Opinions welcome. Thanks!
How many normal drain & fills have you done or had done by now? Because you might be 2 down and due at 90k anyway. I think I might be inclined to see what a dealer would charge for a single drain & fill and a connection to the big Honda computer for the mandatory snapshot and probable software update. If you are really a couple of changes behind, do two more yourself in the next few weeks. A week driving in between is best anyway. The dealers have to simulated that on a lift.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Contact Honda customer service. You are only 7,000 miles out of the warranty on this and they should take care of you. Do not authorize the dealer to do it before you talk to customer service. If you have been decent about taking your ody to the dealer for regular maintenance I think they will cover it. They did for me at 94k miles. Note that my dealer would have charged $380 for the 3x flush and reprogram. You can absolutely do the flush yourself but to my knowledge you can’t reprogram.

221 - 240 of 244 Posts