Honda Odyssey Forum banner

141 - 160 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Anyone had luck getting the 3x flush just out of warranty?
I have 45,000 miles and changed the ATF once already but my warranty just ran out about 6 mo ago.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not sure if this is any news to anyone, but I got a call from some law firm asking for info on my Odyssey related to the transmission. Sounded like they were gathering info for a class action lawsuit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was curious if there was going to be a class action law suit on this... seems very similar to the problems they were having on the 2005 Odysseys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just took my 14 EX-L w/428XX miles to the local dealer. Had printed out the TSB and gave them a description of my problem. They performed the 3X flush, had it covered under the 5yr/60k mile warranty w/o issue. They also said they'd give me a ring when/if the software update was available.

I called Honda and HondaCare before hand. Honda warranty department wasn't sure if they'd cover it. HondaCare said they wouldn't cover fluid changes, regardless. The fell'a at the service department said they would have charged it to HondaCare based on the fact it was maintenance beyond the requirements of the maintenance minder due to an issue they could reproduce. If it happened in the future, beyond 60k, they'd make it work (I got a 8 yr/120k 0 deductible some thing around 1300-1400 when I bought it).

I did my own 1x flush around 30k when the MM popped about a year ago. I still have about 9 qts of DW1 on hand from the case of 12 I bought. Other than the inconvenience of the whole dropping off/picking up... I managed to get about $75 bucks worth of fluid run through the tranny, so at least there's that.

I did ask about the OEM tranny cooler. It's insane. Something like $370 for the part. 1.5 Hours labor. The tiny thing costs >500 to install. Smiled and told him "...that's pretty insane for a tranny cooler." and he agreed.

Will probably install one the next go around on maintenance. That, and I think I'll start doing 1x drain and fills every other oil change. Van had started getting harder downshifts, especially when cold and an occasional judderly/luggy thing when the TC locked. Shifting was a quite a bit smoother on the way home. Didn't have the TC do anything odd either on the 45 min drive home.

Just wanted to post as I got the TSB off this thread. Gook luck to y'all if you're getting this done. I don't know why you'd have trouble. While I'm not wild about the Honda ATF, I bought it and will use it for my maintenance while under warranty. I was asked what I had used and told him DW1. I added that if they had any doubts, I had the invoice for when I bought it and still had the old ATF stored in my toolshed so if they tried to give me a hard time I'd have something on hand with proof. They didn't give me a hard time at all.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
It's been a while here but any success/fail stories in having Honda perform this fix? Anyone get the software update and notice cooler fluid temperatures since having it done?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good morning all.
I'm a new guy in the Odyssey world. We just bought a '12 TE with 93K on the clock. We're picking it up tomorrow. It's from a used car dealer in NH, I get a real good vibe from him. They got it from a Honda dealer that they worked at previously, the car is very clean.
Anyway, they did front brake work, a few other things, including a transmission service. I didn't know about this problem they were having when I drove it, I don't remember any abnormal shifting, nothing that caught my attention. Maybe I was bedazzled by all the bells and whistles.

The VIN falls outside the range called out in the TSB, CB018796. Am I reading that right? What could be different about the older VIN'd vehicles?

We're picking it up tomorrow, I'll be sure to ask about the trans service performed, and if they're aware of the TSB....

The adventure begins.

PS....I think I'm going to like it here.

·
Registered
129 Posts
FYI, Valvoline synthetic ATF is on sale this week at Autozone for $18/gallon jug.
Two questions:
1. IF we use valvoline ATF for drain and fill, can the dealer find out that fluid was changed? Is it the same color?

2. If I do a drain & fill, can the maintenance minder be updated/reset DIY?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wish I had read these posts earlier, but I ended up with the same solution below. My used 2013 TE, bought in May of 2015 with 28.8K miles on it, was suffering with exactly the same symptoms (feeling like the transmission was slipping, 200m rpm tachometer pulsations going up a hill or on light acceleration, etc). My TE had 70.5K miles on the meter and and the problems were getting progressively worse over the last 15-20K miles. I finally took it to the selling dealer in Danville, VA and requested a complete drain, flush and fill and a couple of minor recalls to be done and to correct anything indicated in the applicable TSB's, which I had no knowledge of but was sure existed. I left the dealership with my wallet over $150 lighter, but quickly realized it was money very well spent. ALL of the problems I had been experiencing were GONE! I was a very happy camper and no longer considering dumping my baby in favor of one from the biggest competitor. All I can say is before cursing, tearing your hair out, throwing in the towel and spending serious bucks on major repairs, try this solution. It definitely worked for me.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
1. IF we use valvoline ATF for drain and fill, can the dealer find out that fluid was changed? Is it the same color?
If it came down to whether the ATF was serviced per the factory schedule or not, I suspect they would ask you for receipts before they would examine the fluid itself.

Having said that, I can't recall anyone saying that Honda asked for any documentation of ATF service.

Dave

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just installed Tru-Cool ATF cooler, and a Derale Steering fluid cooler over the weekend.
Refilled ATF w/ Amsoil ATF (Blue Cap) and topped of steering with OE steering fluid.

Bought my 2015 Ody Touring used w/ 30k miles on it, and this might be the first ATF service it got.
One thing I didnt do was replace the factory ATF filter, but I'll do it soon.
For now, the Amsoil ATF already smoothed out the shifts, and car feels great!

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
Like yourself, and davedrivesody, we love us some AmSOil ATF, too. Using the "red cap" MV ATF in our Gen 2 Odysseys, since they were originally spec'd for ATF-Z1. My Ody is within a fillup of 180,000 miles, wife's Ody is truckin' through 186,000 miles, both on the original transmissions. Neither sees any real road-trip miles lately.

Good to hear another Tru-Cool ATF cooler success story. :cool:

OF

·
Registered
2 Posts
So this is my first time posting here, although been watching and reading the threads for several years. My first Odyssey was a 2005 purchased in 2008, just sold it with 183,000 miles. First Transmission melted at 120,000. It was disappointing since I went with Honda due to the Odyssey having a great rating back in '08. Later learned, Honda had some troubles with the 3rd gen Odyssey and transmission. Anyway, I did research last few months and talk to Honda dealer nearby. I was wooed back to Honda a second time, (was looking at Sienna as well). I really like the Odyssey and other than the transmission, everything else worked fine on the '05. So I just purchased a used 2014 Odyssey and it ran well for the 1st week or so, my wife stated it felt like it was jerking and juddering at slower speeds and the tach would jump around between gears. Now reading about this in this forum and elsewhere, I'm like "you've got to be kidding me" The van has 36,000 miles on it and has this issue. So my question is this, Should I take to a dealer ( I bought it at a Mom and Pops used dealer) and have them do this D&F as the TSB suggests or do it myself with AMSOIL as this appears to be far superior product to the DW-1 used by Honda. I really would like this van to last 5 years. Im not keeping vehicles for 10 years as before, I just don't have time to do all the repairs for normal wear and tear. I had my fill of Engine mounts and such on the '05. I just cant see taking this van in every 15,000 miles for Honda to do this flush....and do I have to pay for this? If its a TSB?

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
So this is my first time posting here, although been watching and reading the threads for several years. My first Odyssey was a 2005 purchased in 2008, just sold it with 183,000 miles. First Transmission melted at 120,000. It was disappointing since I went with Honda due to the Odyssey having a great rating back in '08. Later learned, Honda had some troubles with the 3rd gen Odyssey and transmission. Anyway, I did research last few months and talk to Honda dealer nearby. I was wooed back to Honda a second time, (was looking at Sienna as well). I really like the Odyssey and other than the transmission, everything else worked fine on the '05. So I just purchased a used 2014 Odyssey and it ran well for the 1st week or so, my wife stated it felt like it was jerking and juddering at slower speeds and the tach would jump around between gears. Now reading about this in this forum and elsewhere, I'm like "you've got to be kidding me" The van has 36,000 miles on it and has this issue. So my question is this, Should I take to a dealer ( I bought it at a Mom and Pops used dealer) and have them do this D&F as the TSB suggests or do it myself with AMSOIL as this appears to be far superior product to the DW-1 used by Honda. I really would like this van to last 5 years. Im not keeping vehicles for 10 years as before, I just don't have time to do all the repairs for normal wear and tear. I had my fill of Engine mounts and such on the '05. I just cant see taking this van in every 15,000 miles for Honda to do this flush....and do I have to pay for this? If its a TSB?
Definitely get the A/T software update and do a 3x drain and fill. Hopefully the dealer will cover you, they do the software update and the 3x drain and fill of the ATF. Unfortunately, you will have to change the ATF every 15k miles or sooner, I change mine every other oil change.

BTW, disable VCM if you haven't done so.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Agree get the software update then do s 3X drain and fill. I stretch my fluid to about 30K miles if I haven’t been towing. If I’ve loaded it down I may replace the fluid in only 5K miles.

After I had the software update mine ran like a different machine. Day and night difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can someone provide a link to the referenced software update? I've had the 3x flush done, fixed the jittering. But the software update wasn't available yet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 2015 with about 40k is going in on Friday for the various seat and sticker recalls, and I'm going to ask them about the transmission as well so the info AJB is requested would be helpful. I've done 2 3x drain and fills with Amsoil ATF, but the thing still has a persistent "issue" where there's a very particular clunking and snapping/clacking sound audible at low speeds when you start pressing the accelerator, or when you come off it. It happens within about a second of the pedal action. Don't know what it is but I don't like it :no:

jeff

141 - 160 of 254 Posts