Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My air conditioner blows cold air but the rate of air flow is very weak. This is true for the vents, the defrost and also the floor. The rear AC blows like crazy.

It hit +30C the other day and even with the front AC on max I was sweating.

The front fan seems to be making a lot of noise but there is not much in the way of air flow. Is there any chance the fan motor is toast.

It is a 2000 EX bought new in 1999 with 200,000 Km on it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I adjust it manually it gets louder and blows more air but it is very very weak. e.g. if I hold my hand against the vent it has to be within 5 or 6 inches in order to feel the air even with it on max.

I have never changed the cabin air filters

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Um.

Change the cabin air filter. The airbox is probably full of leaves, too.

Nuff said.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Man Alpine3, your van is seriously a neglected ride. Check and replace the a/c filter. You neglect a cel for years, has it ever seen a lof? The Ody is a great van but c'mon....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,861 Posts
Actually, three screws and the rear one is a bitch. I have had mine out twice to clear a leaf that was making the sound of a playing card clipped to a bicycle spoke.

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
egads said:
Actually, three screws and the rear one is a bitch. I have had mine out twice to clear a leaf that was making the sound of a playing card clipped to a bicycle spoke.
That leaf must've been a small one huh? How'd it get there in the first place?

·
Registered
13,861 Posts
Eucalyptus trees are common in California. Most have narrow thin leaves. Pine needles can also make their way down there.

Here's something else the OP and others should look out for:
If you park under trees a lot, the intakes under the hood can get completely blocked. This basically puts you into recirculate mode without selecting it.

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
egads said:
Eucalyptus trees are common in California. Most have narrow thin leaves. Pine needles can also make their way down there.

Here's something else the OP and others should look out for:
If you park under trees a lot, the intakes under the hood can get completely blocked. This basically puts you into recirculate mode without selecting it.
Yes but fresh Eucalyptus can help with a stuffy nose eh?

;) ;) ;)

And pine needles can be literally be a "pain" to remove too!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
chiody said:
How bout' takin a pic of the filter and posting it? It ought to be interesting to say the least?

:D :D :D
It wasn't a pretty site. It took about 30 minutes to clean out as there were about 3 cups of rotting leaves in there. The cue tip taped to the end of a ruler idea just was not cutting it. I was thinking of hiring a backhoe to clean it out. I took some photos but have not downloaded them yet. The filter was 100% blocked. i.e. you could have planted a good crop of potatoes in the filter.

The AC and all of the venting now works like a charm.

Funny that I had the van serviced at the dealer for the first 5 years and the cabin air filter was never mentioned as something to change.

What a huge difference to the AC and heating system!

Thanks for the pointers on changing the filter.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh yah

I almost forgot to mention that changing the air cabin filter somehow caused my clock light to turn itself back on. Very bizzare but true.

Must be the Honda engineers cruel sense of humour. They probably figured that if anyone can actually find and change the cabin air filter - then , they deserve to have their clock light working again....

·
Registered
13,861 Posts
The cabin filter is supposed to be a part of the 30k (48-km) service. Try and look through your old invoices and see if you were charged for it. If you were, I'd raise hell.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Most of the time when the clock light goes out a wrap on the dash by the clock with the fist will cause it to come back on.... Check under hood around the wiper cover for holes big enough for leaves to get in. Cover them with some duct tape....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The design of the cabin air filter really leaves a LOT to be desired.

Amazing that it is that poorly thought out. Makes a person really appreciate German engineering as opposed to Japanese.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
egads said:
It's fixed starting in 05.
Good to hear. I had about 8 things I would change on my '01 and noticed that all 8 had been changed in the new model. That is great to see for sure.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts