Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally found the front VTEC assembly gasket Honda doesn't sell separately! It is aftermarket, made in china. I'll post an update once I install the gasket.

Here is the gasket in it's packaging:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I found out that there are two gaskets in this part of the assembly.

You'll need these two gaskets:
15845-R70-A01
15815-R70-A01

These are not OEM gaskets, they are made in china. Honda doesn't make them.

I'll post back once I get the other gasket. I'll try shooting a DIY video of replacing these gaskets.

Here are the gaskets:

Attachments

·
Registered
10,951 Posts
Are you going to post where you got them? I guess we still need the rear gasket that's not available.

·
Super Moderator
13,484 Posts
Mods please correctly orientate the pictures, they are sideways. Delete this message once it's fixed. Thanks.
Well. There is nothing I can see that would orient the attachments. I think you would need to re-upload with the pictures oriented correctly.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well. There is nothing I can see that would orient the attachments. I think you would need to re-upload with the pictures oriented correctly.
When I upload the attachment here, the picture turns sideways. I don't know why it does that...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got so excited about this, but it looks like these don't fit the spool valve on my 2006 EX-L. These only fit the 2008-2010 J35A7's. My quest continues. If I could figure out the part numbers, it looks like there may be hope to find them on ebay. I don't know a good way to find part numbers though, since Honda doesn't sell the gasket.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got so excited about this, but it looks like these don't fit the spool valve on my 2006 EX-L. These only fit the 2008-2010 J35A7's. My quest continues. If I could figure out the part numbers, it looks like there may be hope to find them on ebay. I don't know a good way to find part numbers though, since Honda doesn't sell the gasket.
Can you post a picture of the gasket?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can you post a picture of the gasket?
Hi!
I got my gaskets today in the mail, they are well packaged and seem to be good quality, time will tell, they are cheap enough to buy a second pair just in case they fail in a few months. Here are a few pics i took.

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
why are you replacing these o-rings on a car that new? if they ripped you can fix it with rtv or if there's a leak you can fix that with rtv too

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
why are you replacing these o-rings on a car that new? if they ripped you can fix it with rtv or if there's a leak you can fix that with rtv too
I'm replacing the gaskets on the 2010 van not my 2017 van.

·
Registered
10,951 Posts
Because they know how to fix things right and not hack the job with a bunch of RTV that can get caught in the oil passages and cause damage.

·
Registered
500 Posts
chill dude, he said these o-rings are not for sale separately, there is no other option for oem. luckily he found some chinese ones. but RTV isn't a hack job and I don't know what you mean about them getting stuck in the oil passages. on odysseys and accords the vtec o-rings are right on the oil filter housing. the oil pickup has a screen on it and if not the oil filter will pick it up. I've taken apart the oil pump and oil pan so I know that when people use rtv on it or even with the original hondabond on them they get brittle and chucks fall into the oil system. the filter picks it up. not sure why you got so aggressive with me

Because they know how to fix things right and not hack the job with a bunch of RTV that can get caught in the oil passages and cause damage.

·
Registered
10,951 Posts
You have no idea what you're talking about. These are gaskets on the side of the cylinder head inside the spool valves. The one by the filter is available from Honda. Any small particle of RTV could easily go into the oil passages for VTEC and VCM in the cylinder head and cause major problems...it's a long way from the oil filter. Not saying it will, but it could. Additionally, just because something is "close to the oil filter" doesn't mean it comes before the oil filter and will be caught in the oil filter. It might be, in some cases, and you might be right but not always. I have learned that's why you don't prefill your oil filter when you install it. If you do, you risk getting foreign objects in the clean side of the filter.

·
Registered
500 Posts
John I don't prefill the filters either. Also what I said is basically at all times there's something that can get lodged. There are tons of floating debris and rtv pieces in the oil from gaskets. If it gets stuck, than it gets stuck, there's not much to u can do about it until it happens. Though its not that likely to happen. On this oring though it would not be catastrophic if pieces came off. You must realize especially when people use rtv to reseal the oil pan and pumps how much rtv ends up squeezed to the other side where the oil is. I do because I've taken apart them many times worry about it and realize its going to happen and its not the end of the world. There's more than one way to do things, your way is not the only way

·
Registered
10,951 Posts
The oil pan is before the sump screen and the oil pump is before the filter. It's not the same thing as a piece of RTV coming off inside that very sensitive spool valve.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts