Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm getting a little freaked out by all the transmission problems be posted on this site and several other sites I've visited that discuss Honda Odys. Understanding that this is "the web" and usually only the unhappy folks will take the time to tell their tales of woe, it still is a bit concerning. 1st, it appears that many transmissions are failing around 47k-55k miles. 2nd, the cost of repair is extremely high, approx. $4,700 (not under warranty). 3rd, when pricing an extended warranty for this particular vehicle, you will notice that there has been about a whopping 80% increase in the cost over three years ago, $800 -> $1,400+. That would indicate to me that the claims history is as poor as the web postings may indicate. Does anyone have better information to contradict these findings and that would indicate that these are not the worst built minivans on the planet.----- I am hopeful.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds like you are describing Chrysler Minivans to a T.
Are you sure you don't work at a Chrylser Dealer and want to scare people back into your showrooms.

Chryslers suck, past, present and future.

Go Honda!!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ditto dkinne!! I've had 2 Chrysler minivans; had to replace the transmission a total of 3 times between the two. (Two of those were under warranty.) So, if I have to replace the transmission in the Ody once it will still beat Chrysler's record. As to your comments, Mike:

1.) Not to emulate Bill Clinton, but what's your definition of "many" transmissions failing around 47K-55K miles? Five hundred in 200,000? One in 200,000?
2.) Repair costs for anything are high anymore. That's why you should get an extended warranty. (See #3.)
3.) Do some more homework on the cost of extended warranties (e.g.; do a search on this forum) for the Ody before you generalize that the increase in price means the claims record is poor. I bought my 6 yr. 100,000 mile warranty for $755.00. Don't pay $1,400.00 for one.

Go ahead and buy the Honda - you won't regret it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Maybe some preventive medicine for the tranny is in order. Such as: (1) transmission fluid cooler and/or (2) more frequent fluid changes, or a switch to synthetic.

You would think that these measures would only be required if you're towing. However, these are 4,000-pound, 7-passenger vehicles and perhaps the load and wear on the tranny over time was underestimated by Honda. I'm not convinced that there is a systematic problem with the tranny, but this is one of the things I'll put on my "watch list" and do all I can to prevent. I'd rather spend a few hundred now than $4,700 later.

Many quality cars have Achilles heels that can be prevented. Case in point: blown head gaskets on some Toyota 6-cylinder engines (especially Supras). I bought a used Supra knowing about that weakness, didn't do a preventive fix (retorquing the head), and wound up with a $2,000 repair bill when it blew. Live and learn, I guess.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The problem I have with this is the $4700 price tag, if it is correct. For a reman transmission?? At DC, most of the folks thought they were getting "taken" if the reman unit cost $2000 installed. As with Honda, it included all the latest updates and a 3/36 warranty. Yes, on a forum, such as this, you get a distorted view of failures, since relative to the number of posters, there will be a disproportionate number of "sad stories". In some ways, one must harden himself against getting involved in the "worry" which can be caused by hearing that stuff. Remember, one of the highest suicide rates is in the field of psychiatry, since those folks listen to everyone's troubles until they finally go over the edge themselves. Let's not to there over a "car".........

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
15 Posts
It seems there are at least two problems with '99 and '00 transmissions.

How many are defective? From reading the web, it does look like there are very many. From friends, I have heard about two others besides mine. Dealer says he's replaced 'about a dozen'. According to an autofan forum thread, there is a Honda Service Bulletin #00-065 about this, but I haven't seen it.

How much is a replacement? The dealer told us it would have cost $3600 out of warranty.

When do the problems occur? Apparently the 'differential' problem involves wearing something out, which takes time.

I think the 'reverse clunk' problem is there from the beginning, but people don't notice it in normal driving. This is how we produce it: 1. Park the Ody on a pretty good incline, say 45 degrees, nose down. 2. Turn the car off. 3. Turn the car back on, put it in reverse, and back up the incline at a pretty good clip. 4. The clunk occurs after about 20 feet.

I understand that the gears are machined too tightly. They don't go together when they should, but when demand is put on them, they go together with force, hence the clunk.

Don't even get me started on extended warranties...

For perspective, I think of my mother, who used to say..."It is just a car, after all. Things happen sometimes. I'm glad no one is hurt."

[This message has been edited by TheNance (edited 11-10-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
OUr '01 now has 14k miles. We have a very slight case of the "dieseling" noise in overdrive around 1500 RPM. Other than that, no problems.

Transmissions (and the power sliding doors) are the most common complaints I see on forums. On the other hand, the updated reliability information at Consumer Reports gives the best rating to the Odyssey transmissions for all years since '95 with the exception of the '98, which received the second best rating. On the other hand, Odyssey's weak link in the reliability ratings since the '99 model year are the "Power Equipement" and "Body Hardware" categories. Consumer Reports confirmed in an email to me and another reader of the Edmunds forum that power doors were the main cause for Odysseys falling overall reliability ratings. For whatever reasons, the transmission issues don't appear to track at Consumer Reports.

It should be noted that Odyssey's overall rating has improved since the April '01 issue. The '99 and '00 model years now get the "Black Checkmark" for average or above, while the '01 gets the "Red Checkmark" for well above average.

[This message has been edited by caviller (edited 11-11-2001).]

·
Registered
89 Posts
Originally posted by timbuk2002:
Maybe some preventive medicine for the tranny is in order. Such as: (1) transmission fluid cooler and/or (2) more frequent fluid changes, or a switch to synthetic.

How frequenly would you recommend a transmission fluid change?

------------------

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by caviller:
The '99 and '00 model years now get the "Black Checkmark" for average or above....</font>
Which is kind of weird isn't it? Among CR's "good bets" for used cars from 1993 through 2000, they list the Ody but parenthetically exclude the 1999 model year.

·
Registered
15 Posts
And I would guess that this time next year, when all the problems have had time to surface, the 2000's will be excluded as well.

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TheNance:
And I would guess that this time next year, when all the problems have had time to surface, the 2000's will be excluded as well. </font>
Perhaps you're correct. However, I should have mentioned that the 1999 Ody is NOT on CR's list for "Reliability Risks". I wonder why considering, ostensibly, many transmissions are failing and a replacement costs circa $3600.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Homer-

Not necessarily weird at all. The data I posted was from their subscriber area on their website. It is updated with more recent information since the April 2001 issue.

Since 4/01, the '99 has improved from "No checkmark" (below average) to a "Black Check" (around average) overall. Improvement areas are "Electrical" which went from below average to average, and A/C which went from above average to well above average. "Hardware" went from well below average to below average. Paint/Trim/Rust appeared to drop from well above average to above average, though the breakdowns for these categories aren't the same online as in the magazine.

The '00 Electrical went from average to above average also, though the "Body/Trim/Rust" also dropped from well above average to above average.

The online information includes a category called "Power Equipment" which is not in the magazine. I wonder if this was broken out from the "Electrical" category. Presumably, the power door complaints which may have been in the "Electrical" category were moved to this new category. That would explain the poor ratings for Odyssey in "Power Equipment" and the improved "Electrical" ratings. Just a guess, though.

Perhaps they have not yet updated their used car best bets (and used cars to avoid) based on the latest reliability data which they have posted online.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Homer:
Perhaps you're correct. However, I should have mentioned that the 1999 Ody is NOT on CR's list for "Reliability Risks". I wonder why considering, ostensibly, many transmissions are failing and a replacement costs circa $3600.</font>
Exactly for the reasons I mentioned; CR's data is NOT tracking the transmission problems. Either CR's data is faulty, or there isn't really a widespread problem with the transmissions. Time will tell.

·
Super Moderator
13,611 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike McBride:
1st, it appears that many transmissions are failing around 47k-55k miles. 2nd, the cost of repair is extremely high, approx. $4,700 (not under warranty). 3rd, when pricing an extended warranty for this particular vehicle, you will notice that there has been about a whopping 80% increase in the cost over three years ago, $800 -> $1,400+. That would indicate to me that the claims history is as poor as the web postings may indicate. Does anyone have better information to contradict these findings and that would indicate that these are not the worst built minivans on the planet.----- I am hopeful. </font>

WTF??? Even if you consider the 99, with 45 - 55K the transmission SHOULD STILL BE UNDER WARRANTY. Am I the only one missing the point or what? Isn't the transmission covered by the 60 months(5 Years) 60K powertrain warranty?

Also this dude says that the warranty prices have gone up. I would say that he needs to shop around for the prices of the warranty because for one they are NEGOTIABLE. If the dealer does not want to negotiate on the warranty then don't buy the warranty from him. Go online and find the places that sell cheaper genuine Honda Warranties.

Sorry but couldn't help burst out. Some people !!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by piyush:
Isn't the transmission covered by the 60 months(5 Years) 60K powertrain warranty?</font>
Hopefully, someone else will respond if this in incorrect but my understanding is that the basic warranty and drivetrain are both 3yr/36k.

·
Super Moderator
13,611 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Homer:
Hopefully, someone else will respond if this in incorrect but my understanding is that the basic warranty and drivetrain are both 3yr/36k.</font>

Well, it seems that the Honda does not have powertrain warranty like the other cars do. I have a maxima and it does have a 5 year warranty on powertrain and I was under the impression that Honda has it too. I just bought an Accord in August under that assumption. But I always buy extended warranties regarless of the reliability reports so I am covered till 6 years for the accord. As for the Ody, I will need to contact my brother to get an extended warranty just in case. I would think that the $800 or so for the extended warranty is a far better investment than the $2300 that nmpatel was quoted for his transmission.

My apologies for the outburst in the earlier post. I could edit that post but I am not going to edit it.

[This message has been edited by piyush (edited 11-12-2001).]

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by piyush:
I have a maxima and it does have a 5 year warranty on powertrain and I was under the impression that Honda has it too.</font>
I believe all Nissans and Toyotas have that 5yr/50k drivetrain warranty. Kind of tough to figure why Honda decided not to match those manufacturers at least.

·
Registered
45 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 10/6Odyssey:
How frequently would you recommend a transmission fluid change?

[/B]</font>
We've always owned manual transmission cars, so I couldn't say. Perhaps twice as often as the Honda-recommended interval (whatever that may be - we don't have our Odyssey yet). Someone in another thread mentioned 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
89 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by timbuk2002:
We've always owned manual transmission cars, so I couldn't say. Perhaps twice as often as the Honda-recommended interval (whatever that may be - we don't have our Odyssey yet). Someone in another thread mentioned 15,000 miles. </font>
Thanks! That was the suggestion on the Windstars, too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hopefully, someone else will respond if this in incorrect but my understanding is that the basic warranty and drivetrain are both 3yr/36k.

Homer, I was at the dealership today and the subject of warranties was brought up. I asked if the drivetrain and transmission had an extended warranty and was told no. Everything is 3 years/ 36K. I'm considering buying the additional Honda warranty although, the new 5-speed transmission feels and shifts excellent! I hope this new transmission will fix all of the problems?

------------------
2002 SS EX
1991 Accord LX

1 - 20 of 20 Posts