Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, my 2018 Odyssey came to a full stop automatically. I was approaching an intersection and a car there that was making a right turn. I didn’t apply brakes and continued to drive through the intersection. I’m not sure, but I think I had my foot off, or lightly on, the accelerator, ready to brake if need be. The car ahead continued the turn, clearing the way ahead of me. As I passed it, the brakes went into my overdrive. The road was wet, so the first thing I noticed was the stuttering sound of the anti-lock brakes. I didn’t feel a violent deceleration. When I realized it was the brakes and that I was suddenly coming to a stop, I looked in my rear view mirror and saw a car approaching, also trying to stop. I stepped on the accelerator to no avail. My van came to a full stop and I could only pray that the car behind me would stop in time. It did.

It was frightening. Here I was, stopped in the middle of an intersection for no good reason. The car in the left lane came to a sudden stop as well. The driver must have wondered why I came to a sudden stop and decided to do the same.

I made an appointment for Monday. Honda service will check to see if anything is abnormal. The service advisor that made the appointment says the vehicle is supposed to come to a stop when it detects an incoming object. If that is normal, then I think it’s a design fault. I would very much like to understand the system that was at play and decided on whether or not to turn it off, if it can be turned off.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
622 Posts
Elite?

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
622 Posts
And yes, you can turn it off. To the left of the steering wheel by sliding door and rear hatch buttons. Right below road departure mitigation button.

Reactions: karlo

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm guessing this happened when using the adaptive cruise control. The vehicle really likes it when the lane ahead is clear. It doesn't do a good job of trying to predict the intentions of vehicles turning, etc.

Spoiler alert: the vehicle also will slow or brake if the vehicle ahead drifts slightly towards your lane. The odyssey assumes the vehicle is changing lanes without signaling.

Over time, you will learn when it is appropriate to use adaptive cruise control, and when it is easier to do all the driving yourself.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Last week, my 2018 Odyssey came to a full stop automatically. I was approaching an intersection and a car there that was making a right turn. I didn’t apply brakes and continued to drive through the intersection. I’m not sure, but I think I had my foot off, or lightly on, the accelerator, ready to brake if need be. The car ahead continued the turn, clearing the way ahead of me. As I passed it, the brakes went into my overdrive. The road was wet, so the first thing I noticed was the stuttering sound of the anti-lock brakes. I didn’t feel a violent deceleration. When I realized it was the brakes and that I was suddenly coming to a stop, I looked in my rear view mirror and saw a car approaching, also trying to stop. I stepped on the accelerator to no avail. My van came to a full stop and I could only pray that the car behind me would stop in time. It did.

It was frightening. Here I was, stopped in the middle of an intersection for no good reason. The car in the left lane came to a sudden stop as well. The driver must have wondered why I came to a sudden stop and decided to do the same.

I made an appointment for Monday. Honda service will check to see if anything is abnormal. The service advisor that made the appointment says the vehicle is supposed to come to a stop when it detects an incoming object. If that is normal, then I think it’s a design fault. I would very much like to understand the system that was at play and decided on whether or not to turn it off, if it can be turned off.
I noted the same a couple times in my touring, in my case didn't full stop but it started to brake itself.

In my case like you the car in front of me was turning and ill continue in the same street.

I think the car do that if don't feel like you are pressing the brake enough and the car in front you are close as you said It was turning and we know we can pass without brake, but the system don't think the same.

If we put the foot in the brake and reduce the speed then nothing happens only the brake notification in the screen.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
461 Posts
If on cruise a quick tap of the cancel button or brake will stop the unwanted braking.

If it is the collision avoidance doing the braking you can disable that too, ours seems to be overly sensitive in the rain.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,413 Posts
Sserega12 is correct. You can turn this feature off. Keep in mind it is on by default so you must manually turn it off each time you start the car. I believe you must hold the button down for a few seconds until your hear a beep and see a warning message on the display indicating that it is off.

There have been mixed feelings about this system. In some cases, it has saved someone's bacon. In a few others, it nearly resulted in a serious accident.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,413 Posts
Possibly Karlo, but remember the splash screen that is displayed every time you start the car? There's never enough time to read the darn thing but I believe it's a disclaimer that basically says, "Use all these neat electronic doo-dads at your own risk. You're the driver and we are not responsible." Honda has left itself an out.

The Cruise Control and Lane Keep assist are off by default. Why not the Collision Avoidance thingy? Why can't we have a car that leaves most toys off until we decide to use them? The only default safety thing we need on is antilock brakes. The technology is far superior to any human's ability to pump the brakes like we were taught in the old days. They are a marvelous invention. As for the other stuff, it isn't even housebroken and should be off by default. If we're forced to turn this other stuff on, then we at least know it's on because we made the decision!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Interesting. Should not be happening :mad: . I guess if the vehicle "following", is new, and has "auto" stop feature. Everything should be OK?....:confused:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Cruise Control and Lane Keep assist are off by default. Why not the Collision Avoidance thingy? Why can't we have a car that leaves most toys off until we decide to use them?
Absolutely. Regarding disclaimer when starting the car, if feature is on by default and causes an accident, the disclaimer is evidence that Honda does not have the utmost confidence. Law suit.
. I guess if the vehicle "following", is new, and has "auto" stop feature. Everything should be OK?
Yup. And, if we all had Connected Cars, over 5G, everything would be more than OK.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,413 Posts
Brilliant, Karlo! I never looked at it that way.

We seem to be living in an age where it is acceptable (and very profitable) to release technology products to the masses when it's only about 70% ready. That's barely acceptable when you're talking about an app for an iPad or PC but when it comes to a device capable of zooming you through the countryside at 80 mph, the software had better be 105% ready. If not, don't add it to the car until it is!! I don't understand that mentality. Is profit and dealing with competition more important than peoples' lives? Apparently not. And of course, there are a ton of companies just as guilty as Honda.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm guessing this happened when using the adaptive cruise control. The vehicle really likes it when the lane ahead is clear. It doesn't do a good job of trying to predict the intentions of vehicles turning, etc.

Spoiler alert: the vehicle also will slow or brake if the vehicle ahead drifts slightly towards your lane. The odyssey assumes the vehicle is changing lanes without signaling.

Over time, you will learn when it is appropriate to use adaptive cruise control, and when it is easier to do all the driving yourself.
just curious, who uses cruise control on city streets (cruise control can not be activated below certain speed)? for me, that's a definitely NO

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not crowded city streets, but we have some 25 mph speed limits around here that are strictly enforced. I will set the cruise to 25 so I don't inadvertently wander over the limit.

·
Registered
182 Posts
This is an issue with the sensors in the RAIN.
Ours (2019 Elite) goes nuts all the time - we have to shut it off.
We have NOT had a collision mitigation issue - only the parking sensors going haywire (the right/passenger is more sensitive than the left).

·
Registered
432 Posts
just curious, who uses cruise control on city streets (cruise control can not be activated below certain speed)? for me, that's a definitely NO
One of our main streets has a 35 MPH speed limit and early in the morning (5:30) I use the cruise control time. The street light timing to me anyway get's out of whack around 7:30, so I can go through mostly green lights. Our ODY Elite will go down to 25 MPH for cruise, never had it kick off for anything except braking or canceling the cruise.

Reactions: King Kong TO

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After investigation, the service department called. They reviewed the log, found the event and determined that nothing amiss is reported. They checked the alignment of the camera and the radar sensors, and moved my EZPass transponder from behind the rear view mirror to the vicinity of the inspection sticker. As to the latter, they say that the transponder can interfere with the camera. Basically, they are saying the system operated the way it should. The service advisor informed me that he himself has had similar experiences. Not the most satisfying answer.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts