Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,409 Posts
After investigation, the service department called. They reviewed the log, found the event and determined that nothing amiss is reported. They checked the alignment of the camera and the radar sensors, and moved my EZPass transponder from behind the rear view mirror to the vicinity of the inspection sticker. As to the latter, they say that the transponder can interfere with the camera. Basically, they are saying the system operated the way it should. The service advisor informed me that he himself has had similar experiences. Not the most satisfying answer.
If it's working as it should, then it's a design flaw. I wonder how many "near misses" there have been.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had a similar incident, but on the highway. Traffic suddenly slowed, the cruise control applies the brakes. The lane next to me was clear, so I tried to accelerate to move over, but nothing happened! Like the accelerator was dead! It took three stabs and a prayer and some cussing to get going. I turned off the ACC after that

·
Registered
34 Posts
Agree. Not comforting. We have an '18 Eite, too, and I've experienced "false positive" detection of an impending collision in hilly terrain, causing auto braking response -- and it's nothing more than the hill I'm approaching. I was not using ACC; I seldom use ACC unless on open road (interstate usually) in sparse traffic. I'm guessing your detection system may have responded to something reflected in the wet roadway. I think the system needs to be smarter than that. Would be interesting to learn if the response is radar-triggered (front grill) or camera-triggered (front windshield), or both.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The disclaimer on the touchscreen is for the touchscreen and has nothing to do with the driver assistance features. Basically, don't play with these apps when you should be looking at the road ("Use this system only when traffic conditions are safe"). This thread is a facebook group conspiracy theory waiting to happen :LOL:

As for sudden and kinda scary auto braking incidents, I've had that happen twice. Both nice sunshiney days. Once when a person turned right in front of me at an intersection, basically the OP story minus the rain, and once when someone went left. In that case the person cut in front of me to make a left turn when there was only like 1.5 car length space between me and the car in front of me, then went into the left turn lane. Odyssey slammed on the brakes when they made it left and started slowing down quickly. Both times I could see where my car might have thought "if nothing changes we're going to hit that car" but then essentially failed to update itself fast enough to realize the threat was gone. I chalk it up to a time lag with radar.

·
Registered
9 Posts
From the manual, so not totally unexpected:

I had in happened to me when I pulled into my son's driveway a bit fast and it thought his parked truck was coming at me. Locked the brakes down in a hurry.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I too have had two experiences where the car slowed down on me and seemed to auto break for no reason and I do think it was in rainy weather. I could never get it to repeat but couldn't understand what was going on. Dropped out of cruise control although cruise control remained on passively. Your report jogged my mind that both times were in rain.
Interesting. Glad I came across your posts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When I read about these idiot device malfunctions, it makes me only too happy to have not gotten the Honda Sensing accoutrements. But then, I don’t text whilst driving (these devices are, however, becoming vital for the current generation‘s distracted drivers).
The one thing that could be interesting of course, would be the feature being able to stop the vehicle in the event if a medical emergency.

Reactions: karlo

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Would be interesting to learn if the response is radar-triggered (front grill) or camera-triggered (front windshield), or both.
I’ll ask.

This thread is a facebook group conspiracy theory waiting to happen
Well, I have noticed that it’s only Americans who have experienced this problem. The Canadians, at least the ones that have posted, have not. We need to act now and uncover the source of this insidious threat to our national security! We can’t wait for this thing to go viral on Facebook.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,409 Posts
Well, I have noticed that it’s only Americans who have experienced this problem. The Canadians, at least the ones that have posted, have not.
Hi Karlo. I think there have been a few incidences in Canada as well. I have had a few near misses, mostly from people turning in front of me. I wonder what would happen if we had a false positive with this system while driving in snow. Control could be easily lost, even with the antilock braking. Of course, there are tons of places in the U.S. that get snowed on as well. They are just as vulnerable.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't have the automated "safety" systems on my Ody but do have it on the CRV and have had a couple similar instances in the CRV. Also found that the systems shut down in wet snow because the sensors get blocked. My take-away has been that the automated systems still have a ways to go and that all this talk about fully driverless cars within a few years is a total myth. Based on my experiences to date there is no way I'd get into a driverless Uber - let alone consider buying a vehicle that lacked full driver controls. But maybe someday...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Traffic suddenly slowed, the cruise control applies the brakes. The lane next to me was clear, so I tried to accelerate to move over, but nothing happened! Like the accelerator was dead!
Yes, that was my experience too, unresponsive accelerator. To me, that is yet another design flaw. The driver should be able to be instantaneously take full control

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yes, that was my experience too, unresponsive accelerator. To me, that is yet another design flaw. The driver should be able to be instantaneously take full control
I don't want or like these new automatic braking devices. I am the driver, I am responsible. Honda is neither. Some half-baked computer buried inside of my vehicle electronics will not take my place behind the wheel.

I worry that one of these automatic braking devices in the car in front, goes automatic when there's no risk in sight. Occasionally I will use the cruise control, but not in traffic. Such a device that cannot be permanently disabled is a risk I wouldn't want to take.

I don't use a cell phone in the car, but when there's room around me I will fiddle with my GPS. The key is "room around me", which means I pay closer attention when other vehicles are in my "safety zone". When I first started driving I learned to drive through the eyes of the driver in front of me. Still do.

An automatic driving device that does not deactivate instantly when the brake or the gas pedal is moved should be disabled. Note that fully automated self-driving developmental vehicles are far more sophisticated than what we get in these new cars. When fully tested and developed, when reliable fully automated driving comes to our cars, then I might be tempted to use one.

These new automatic braking devices are not 100% reliable. Relying upon these partly functional, partly dysfunctional devices is poor judgment in my view. Sometimes gimmicks are not the way to go. Automatic braking, in its present state of development, is in this category.

·
Registered
175 Posts
One of our main streets has a 35 MPH speed limit and early in the morning (5:30) I use the cruise control time. The street light timing to me anyway get's out of whack around 7:30, so I can go through mostly green lights. Our ODY Elite will go down to 25 MPH for cruise, never had it kick off for anything except braking or canceling the cruise.
we did this until they installed speed bumps and other "traffic calming devices" (i.e. random tree planters in the middle of the road).
That caused all of our cars (BMW 5-series, Infiniti Q60, and Volvo XC60) to go nuts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Karlo. I think there have been a few incidences in Canada as well. I have had a few near misses, mostly from people turning in front of me. . .
I have just the alerts (no braking), but I did once get an alert as an oncoming driver turned left at a traffic light, in front of the first driver moving off on green. They very nearly crashed, but there was also a second car in front of me (I was arriving behind them, the third at the light). I’m wondering whether the system could really be that spectacular, to sense an impending remote crash like this, or whether it was possibly alerting me to my own speed of arrival.

Having said this, we‘ve definitely seen amazing incidents on line, where an impending crash was indeed sensed ahead, even with other cars in between.

Reactions: karlo

·
Registered
24 Posts
Last week, my 2018 Odyssey came to a full stop automatically. I was approaching an intersection and a car there that was making a right turn. I didn’t apply brakes and continued to drive through the intersection. I’m not sure, but I think I had my foot off, or lightly on, the accelerator, ready to brake if need be. The car ahead continued the turn, clearing the way ahead of me. As I passed it, the brakes went into my overdrive. The road was wet, so the first thing I noticed was the stuttering sound of the anti-lock brakes. I didn’t feel a violent deceleration. When I realized it was the brakes and that I was suddenly coming to a stop, I looked in my rear view mirror and saw a car approaching, also trying to stop. I stepped on the accelerator to no avail. My van came to a full stop and I could only pray that the car behind me would stop in time. It did.

It was frightening. Here I was, stopped in the middle of an intersection for no good reason. The car in the left lane came to a sudden stop as well. The driver must have wondered why I came to a sudden stop and decided to do the same.

I made an appointment for Monday. Honda service will check to see if anything is abnormal. The service advisor that made the appointment says the vehicle is supposed to come to a stop when it detects an incoming object. If that is normal, then I think it’s a design fault. I would very much like to understand the system that was at play and decided on whether or

I've had it happen twice, you can turn that off on left side of dash.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

·
Registered
425 Posts
we did this until they installed speed bumps and other "traffic calming devices" (i.e. random tree planters in the middle of the road).
That caused all of our cars (BMW 5-series, Infiniti Q60, and Volvo XC60) to go nuts.
Yeah, I know what you are talking about. In our downtown area (Omaha), it used to be 5-lane wide. Now in places it get down to 2 lanes. Trees was added in on both sides of the street. Then you have those pesky delivery vehicles (UPS,FEDEX) taking a lane up for deliveries of pickups. I have notice this even in some mid size cities, using round-abouts but no speed-bumps. Over last year and still going, new bus stops rather than either having nothing or a few bench seats. The use of the buses for transit has dies down since the 80's to probably less than 1/3. I am fortunate where I enter the main strret as I miss the whole of the downtown driving, as where I get on at passes that area up.

Reactions: lindros2

·
Registered
320 Posts
The disclaimer on the touchscreen is for the touchscreen and has nothing to do with the driver assistance features. Basically, don't play with these apps when you should be looking at the road ("Use this system only when traffic conditions are safe"). This thread is a facebook group conspiracy theory waiting to happen :LOL:

As for sudden and kinda scary auto braking incidents, I've had that happen twice. Both nice sunshiney days. Once when a person turned right in front of me at an intersection, basically the OP story minus the rain, and once when someone went left. In that case the person cut in front of me to make a left turn when there was only like 1.5 car length space between me and the car in front of me, then went into the left turn lane. Odyssey slammed on the brakes when they made it left and started slowing down quickly. Both times I could see where my car might have thought "if nothing changes we're going to hit that car" but then essentially failed to update itself fast enough to realize the threat was gone. I chalk it up to a time lag with radar.
Radio frequency energy, like electrons in conductors (wires), moves at the speed of light.

·
Registered
80 Posts
... moved my EZPass transponder from behind the rear view mirror to the vicinity of the inspection sticker. As to the latter, they say that the transponder can interfere with the camera...
They don't know how those transponders work. EZ Pass transponders don't transmit all the time. When you are in the vicinity of an EZ pass toll booth, their antenna sends a signal, which activates the transponder. The transponder then responds with information that is collected for toll use.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts