Honda Odyssey Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
The lead tech in the service department says it is radar-triggered.
That makes sense, a camera can only see objects, it can't tell the speed at which the vehicle is approaching those objects. Radar uses the Doppler effect to sense speed and distance to target.

·
Registered
457 Posts
just curious, who uses cruise control on city streets (cruise control can not be activated below certain speed)? for me, that's a definitely NO
I use my cruise a lot, far easier for me to let it keep an eye on my speed while I worry about other things. I use it a lot at 25 and 45, common speeds around here. Far too many traffic cameras to be lax and let my speed creep up and trigger a camera ticket.

·
Registered
175 Posts
They don't know how those transponders work. EZ Pass transponders don't transmit all the time. When you are in the vicinity of an EZ pass toll booth, their antenna sends a signal, which activates the transponder. The transponder then responds with information that is collected for toll use.
Most of these things just use license tag readers now (some iteration of Genetec AutoVu). 90% of the ones in Georgia miss the tags, including express lanes and (soon) airport parking (yes, the South is catching up with E-Z Pass Plus features from 1999). The transponders will be dinosaurs soon.
(note that in NYC bridges and various other places, they got rid of the raising bars because of so many false negatives, leading to traffic backups)

·
Registered
175 Posts
That makes sense, a camera can only see objects, it can't tell the speed at which the vehicle is approaching those objects. Radar uses the Doppler effect to sense speed and distance to target.
It's funny that even in 2020, there are still a wide variety of technologies used (radar, sonar, LIDAR/laser, cameras, ...).
You'd think they'd settle on something for V2V/C2C... but alas, nope.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's funny that even in 2020, there are still a wide variety of technologies used (radar, sonar, LIDAR/laser, cameras, ...).
You'd think they'd settle on something for V2V/C2C... but alas, nope.
Not sure any manufacturer is using sonar (that's for underwater use). LIDAR is laser, used by law enforcement for speeders, don't know of anyone using it in cars. The NHTSA is working with manufacturers on V2V communications, but the technology is immature. That leaves radar and cameras, which are in use today.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,409 Posts
My friend is a cop. He says the radar on their cruisers doesn't work reliably when it's raining. That technology has been around for decades. What makes Honda think they can get it so perfect as to be 100% safe?

·
Registered
80 Posts
My friend is a cop. He says the radar on their cruisers doesn't work reliably when it's raining. That technology has been around for decades. What makes Honda think they can get it so perfect as to be 100% safe?
They're looking long (sometimes 100's of feet). Car radar is used much closer, however the elements are still in play, just to a lesser effect.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Laser (laser radar, Lidar, whatever) doesn't work well in the rain - the light beams get dispersed. Also doesn't work through windows (that's why cops have to keep their windows down for handheld units to work).
But that's not the point.

Not sure any manufacturer is using sonar (that's for underwater use). LIDAR is laser, used by law enforcement for speeders, don't know of anyone using it in cars. The NHTSA is working with manufacturers on V2V communications, but the technology is immature. That leaves radar and cameras, which are in use today.
Not to turn this into a pissing contest, but please have your facts straight. EVERY manufacturer has been using Sonar for low-speed parking sensors (ultraSONIC).
  • SONAR (SOund Navigation And Ranging) is, yes, used underwater and uses low frequency sounds (100-500Hz) as well as high frequency sounds (ultrasound, etc)
  • Every SONAR sensor has an ultrasonic emitter and and ultrasonic receiver
And, yes, autonomous vehicles (future) and today - Honda, BMW, Mercedes, Ford, GM, and everyone else - uses Sonar/ultrasonic.

So, please, have your facts straight.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Laser (laser radar, Lidar, whatever) doesn't work well in the rain - the light beams get dispersed. Also doesn't work through windows (that's why cops have to keep their windows down for handheld units to work).
But that's not the point.

Not to turn this into a pissing contest, but please have your facts straight. EVERY manufacturer has been using Sonar for low-speed parking sensors (ultraSONIC).
  • SONAR (SOund Navigation And Ranging) is, yes, used underwater and uses low frequency sounds (100-500Hz) as well as high frequency sounds (ultrasound, etc)
  • Every SONAR sensor has an ultrasonic emitter and and ultrasonic receiver
And, yes, autonomous vehicles (future) and today - Honda, BMW, Mercedes, Ford, GM, and everyone else - uses Sonar/ultrasonic.

So, please, have your facts straight.
Okay, not turning this into a pissing contest but RADAR stands for RAdio Detection And Ranging. LIDAR stands for for LIght Detection and Ranging. There is no such thing LIDAR RADAR, it doesn't exist. So, please have your facts straight.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts