Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in another thread (someone else's) earlier today that my 04 was also "idle hunting" with the idle surging from 1000 to 2000 RPM. Following the suggestions in that thread I checked and sure enough the wires to the connector for the PS pressure sensor were broken. Both of them, the black and the green one. Being the enthusiastic DIY type I pulled the connector apart and soldered on new wires and connected them back to the wiring harness.

I buttoned the job up and started the van up and she purred like a kitten. Satisfied I had it licked I backed the van out of the garage so I could pull the wife's pilot back in there. I parked it and pulled the Pilot in the garage and when I walked back to the van, still idling I heard a terrible sound. The damn thing was sitting there doing that idle rev thing.:mad:

I had to go back to work so I jumped in the van, frustrated by my lack of progress but hopeful it was something simple I could work out. On the way to work going down a steep hill the stupid van starts surging forward (almost like the reported Toyota "unintended acceleration") and I have to hit the brakes pretty hard. Then suddenly a CEL and TCS light pop up. Nice. To put icing on the cake my inspection sticker is out and I took it to have it inspected today and there were too many people already waiting, he said to bring it back tomorrow. So I guess I'm twice screwed since they won't pass any car with a CEL on. Looks like I get to take a trip to the dealer.

So does anyone have any idea what I'm up against?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do. In the meantime here is a video of me diving about 1 block from a standstill at a stoplight. Throughout this video my foot never once touches the gas pedal. The van speeds up to only about 20mph in this short run, but on a different unrecorded run it sped to 32ish mph and held pretty steady there. Pretty bizzare.

Sadly the most notable (to me anyway) thing about this video is the constant "water sloshing" sound. It sounds like I'm driving a freaking bathtub.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jfnss-WNpo

·
Registered
665 Posts
chetcpo said:
I posted in another thread (someone else's) earlier today that my 04 was also "idle hunting" with the idle surging from 1000 to 2000 RPM. Following the suggestions in that thread I checked and sure enough the wires to the connector for the PS pressure sensor were broken. Both of them, the black and the green one. Being the enthusiastic DIY type I pulled the connector apart and soldered on new wires and connected them back to the wiring harness.

I buttoned the job up and started the van up and she purred like a kitten. Satisfied I had it licked I backed the van out of the garage so I could pull the wife's pilot back in there. I parked it and pulled the Pilot in the garage and when I walked back to the van, still idling I heard a terrible sound. The damn thing was sitting there doing that idle rev thing.:mad:

I had to go back to work so I jumped in the van, frustrated by my lack of progress but hopeful it was something simple I could work out. On the way to work going down a steep hill the stupid van starts surging forward (almost like the reported Toyota "unintended acceleration") and I have to hit the brakes pretty hard. Then suddenly a CEL and TCS light pop up. Nice. To put icing on the cake my inspection sticker is out and I took it to have it inspected today and there were too many people already waiting, he said to bring it back tomorrow. So I guess I'm twice screwed since they won't pass any car with a CEL on. Looks like I get to take a trip to the dealer.

So does anyone have any idea what I'm up against?
EGR port is likely clogged, I'd pull the intake manifold, clean it out apply compressed air to clear it completely out and reinstall manifold. While you got it out clean up the Idle air control valve as it probably has gunked up and sticking.

If its still doing it after this then replace the EGR valve which is literally a 15 minute repair with the right tools.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, finally got around to having the codes read and they are as follows:

P0505: Idle control system malfuntion.

"Pending" code: P1129- Manufacturer control fuel air metering.

So what does this mean?

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Check the idle speed, the Idle Air Control Valve and a vacuum leak. Clean the throttle body.

DTC P1129: MAP Sensor Signal Higher Than Expected

Check the MAP Sensor and replace if necessary.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FIXED!:D

I followed the instructions for cleaning the IACV (which was filthy) in the thread below and she's running great now.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=27649

Thanks to everyone who helped guide me, this place is an invaluable resource.

So to sum it up for those who don't want to read this whole thread, 2004 EX-L with 96k miles was idling strange, found the wires broken on the PS sensor, fixed them, problem persisted and then threw CEL. (code P0505)

Cleaned the idle air control valve and reset the ECU by pulling the clock fuse and the ol' girl seems as good as new. Smooth idle, no codes.

Thanks again guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts