Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 Ody EX. I have been hearing a grinding sound coming from the front brakes only at a specific time. It happens most times when coming down a big hill in which I have to keep my foot on the brake in order not to go down too fast. They grind when I get towards to bottom and have my foot fully on the brake to stop. The brakes will continue to make that noise at subsequent stops after that but will stop making the noise after the car has sat for a bit. They don't make the grinding sound any other time.
I took my ody into a Honda service center last week for the two recalls (PCM update and soft brake pedal) the mechanic naturally looked over everything did find that my back brake pads where getting low but the front brakes looked fine. We had them put on new brake pads while they car was there. Since they said the front brakes looked good what could be causing the grinding noise? It sounds awful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did that... all is fine. The only explanation was sometimes newer cars and the brake pads that are installed will do that. It's intermittent but will always grind coming down a steep hill. They will grind a bit at subsequent stops then the noise stops. One solution was to replace the pads. At this point the pads are at 60% so it isn't necessary from a braking stand point. I guess as long as no damage is being caused I shouldn't worry about it. It is a bit nerve wracking to hear that noise and believe that it is normal when usually a grinding noise indicates bad brakes.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The grinding is from the brake dust glazing over due to high heat. I had this exact same problem when its really hot out, extra people in the van ,or coming down a hill. The extra heat causes the brake dust to crystallize and glaze over.

Have them remove your brake calipers, clean them up, and sand off the glaze off your pads with emery pads. If its really bad, you may need to have them sand your rotors down or machine them. But don't do that unless you really have to, I like thicker rotors for less warping.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
On downhill slope, if you think you will apply the brake more than 1 minute continuously, then use the Transmission to slow it down, downshift to lower gears.

This prevents brake overheat, which can be dangerous!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm having a similar problem that started just a week ago. Found the rotor is slightly scored, so I'm going to pull the pads, clean 'em up and see if improves. Seems ironic that it started doing it the day after the stealership inspected the brakes because of my complaint of a soft and low pedal. Could it all be related? I seriously wonder...

·
Registered
119 Posts
cnn said:
On downhill slope, if you think you will apply the brake more than 1 minute continuously, then use the Transmission to slow it down, downshift to lower gears.
I'm curious - I used to gear down on long down-hill slopes with my (previous) 4cyl sonata and the drop from OD to 3rd gear had a notable effect (engine braking?); however, I don't get the same "braking" effect with the Ody - almost seems ineffective taking it out of OD. (Maybe larger engine, gears, etc... I don't know - not mechanically inclined)

Is it safe to drop it to 2nd (given the RPMS aren't constantly above 3500)? I don't imagine being in 2nd for more than a minute. Could you cook the transmission/oil?

(perhaps another reason to consider adding aux coolers)

The tranny history in the Odyssey gives me concern. I wouldn't hesitate on my civic - it's been rock solid since 97 and approaching 200,000 km.

·
Registered
71 Posts
darkbuddha said:
I'm having a similar problem that started just a week ago. Found the rotor is slightly scored, so I'm going to pull the pads, clean 'em up and see if improves. Seems ironic that it started doing it the day after the stealership inspected the brakes because of my complaint of a soft and low pedal. Could it all be related? I seriously wonder...
I took 30 minutes today and pulled the caliper and found brake dust caked on the pads, pads slightly glazed, and the rotor has some very minor scoring (from the brake dust no doubt). So I "resurfaced" the pads (old school... rubbed them on the concrete driveway), sprayed everything down with brake cleaner, and put it all back together. Now no more noise or grinding. :)

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
pvp said:
....Is it safe to drop it to 2nd (given the RPMS aren't constantly above 3500)? I don't imagine being in 2nd for more than a minute. Could you cook the transmission/oil?
Nothing to worry about, in any car with Auto Trans, you can always downshift to 2nd gear or even 1st gear without problems (as long as engine is running because the torque converter needs ATF to function, which is supplied with ATF by the Auto Trans Input shaft, which is in turned driven by the engine rear flywheel).

So yes, nothing to worry about when down-shifting.

Many years ago, I almost died during a drive through Cabot Trail (Nova Scotia, Canada), the hill was going down so much but we applied the brake for 5 minutes continuously, the brake overheated and before we knew it, there was no brake at all. Luckily we hit the bottom of the hill at that time!!! So down-shifting is the right thing to do on long down hill course.

·
Registered
606 Posts
brake noise

Interesting discussion, I had the same noise on my nu/used '06 I just got going to lookout mountain in TN, a good winding road, I was downshiifting and not riding brake, but it was still hot on the bottom - heck it was hot outside anyway like 98degrees. I'll have to de-glaze the brakes.

Any hints on why they are so soft? Seems others have had the same complaint. Its time for a fluid change in brakes anyway so I'll see if its got bubbles...

I guess no experience driving huge hills in NE? You were lucky to avoid problems! Gear down next time before it gets steep.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've yet to have anyone adequately explain why the brakes are excessively soft. Mine were actually pretty awesome immediately following the recall service, but progressively got softer and softer. I took it back in and they claimed they found no air in the lines, but damned if it wasn't improved after whatever they did. Of course, a few days later the pedal was way soft again. I've been trying a few things to see what it might be and I think the softness of the pedal could be related to power assist vacuum booster. I find that the pedal is much firmer when the engine generates more vacuum. This is an artificial way to diminish the real issue, but it certainly improves my confidence in the brakes.

I think when the time comes that I will be replacing the pads with a performance quality compound from Hawk or EBC and will look for stainless flex hoses to replace the standard rubber hoses (which tend to balloon under pressure). I'm also going to definitely flush the living hell out of the system and use an appropriate performance quality fluid (probably a synthetic like Amsoil's Series 600). Basically I'm gonna do whatever I can to improve the brake power and feel.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Dark budda, what wheels / tires did you get? looks good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts