Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have always loved EBC "Green Stuff" pads... They likely won't last as long as an "OEM", but the performance difference will be a worthwhile... Better initial bite, better cold temperature performance, and most importantly, less fade at high temps (think loaded van and panic stop situations). I have also had good luck with some Hawk HPS Street Brake Pads. Again, an upgrade from stock performance.

Another recommendation while replacing pads, is a brake fluid flush/bleed. If you are doing it yourself, you have already done most of the work just to service the pads. It's not terribly difficult/expensive, and will be more than worth the effort in pedal feel and consistent braking/ brake pad wear. I have always been a fan of ATE Super Blue. I use it in my van, my truck, motorcycle, and my old track car...

Don't get me wrong; for normal everyday adventures, the stock brakes on the Oddy are fairly adequate... However, the right (or wrong) combination of variables can put us in perilous situations where every foot of stopping distance matters...

I am obviously the type to justify a small amount more in the initial investment, and also the type who can't leave well enough alone. :D

In my mind, all it takes is for the brakes to save your bacon just ONCE, and they have MORE than paid for themselves! Paying for some peace of Mind, if you ask me...

Cheers!
Ryan

·
Registered
369 Posts
EBC of your choosing or Pro-Series Ceramic.

Do not buy AutoZone brand ceramic. Tried them on 3 occasions (different cars) and each time I could not get them to stop squealing. Went to Pro-Series and all was well. Something about the material used doesnt play nice with Honda rotors. Non-OEM rotors may not have the problem.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I tried Wagner Thermoquiet pads when I did the fronts last fall. Worked great until mid-spring is when they started squealing under conditions of light pedal pressure at low speed in reverse after the van had been sitting for a number of hours (i.e.-howled like a banshee backing out of the driveway).

Got steadily worse. Pulled them and the whiz-bang patented IMI Coating had started to flake off, probably causing the noise. Put brake quiet on the pad backs to see if that'd help. It did for awhile but it returned within a couple of months. Bit the bullet and just went OEM all around when I did the back pads this past weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts