Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pass side brake drag problem on my 01 odyssey.I have replaced the caliper and hose on that side but the problem persists. the caliper is not locked down tight but while get really hot after 20 or 30 miles.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
519 Posts
perhaps the master cylinder has an internal leak.
is one of the rear brakes getting hot as well?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No is only the front right. I may go ahead and changge the master cyl. though. I cant think of anything else it could be.

·
Registered
519 Posts
i realize you said that it is a new caliper, but did you check it for freedom of movement,, did you grease the pins that allow it to center itself on the rotor when brakes are applied?

·
Registered
482 Posts
labattsipa said:
i realize you said that it is a new caliper, but did you check it for freedom of movement,, did you grease the pins that allow it to center itself on the rotor when brakes are applied?
that would be first place i looked. take our slider pins from the boot and make sure there is enough grease there.

had similar issue with my cr-v with slider pin stuck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced the pins and used the grease, everything is right as far as i can tell. If i crack the bleeder open it will release ,the hose is new and their is no blockage in the metal line from the abs to the hose so i was thinking theirs nothing left but the master cyl.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Faulty ABS controller? Try disconnecting it and see if the brake stays cool.

·
Registered
519 Posts
thats a good idea, abs controller,, with all the electronics on board these days the old simple system is gone. i have not heard of to many master cylinders fail here,, even though i did mention it. something is hanging up the caliper, perhaps like dave mentioned it could be the controller. i guess it would be safe to assume that if the abs controller was disabled(disconnected), the caliper would release. dave what do you think?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I'm no expert in ABS controllers, but I think disconnecting it would make it incapable of applying pressure, or in your case of holding pressure. I agree with sontakke that an unidentified ABS failure is very rare, but this problem is very rare too. From what you describe, it's a hydraulic problem, not mechanical.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
For 99-04 model years

Passenger Side Fusebox

#3 10A BLU/BLK ABS/TCS modulator unit (via ABS/TCS fail-safe relay)
#14 7.5A GRN ABS control unit or ABS/TCS control unit (MCK)

There are more in the engine compartment but they are high current and control more stuff.

I would select #14 as the "victim".

Another thing that you need to check is to see if you can notice the difference in the drag when both front wheel are on the jack stand. Then apply the brakes couple time with the engine off and notice if they retract similarly. I don't think ABS would come in play if you do not give the ignition.

- Vikas

1 - 11 of 11 Posts