Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read about the rattle fix that was posted here about using .001-.002 shim stock wrapped around caliper pin. Which is a good temporary fix. The fix I use is replacing the #13 caliper pin with the #23 p/n on the front brake parts exploded view on any of the honda parts stores. The lower pin has a noise dampener part of the pin (rubber sleeve) which I use on the top part of the caliper as well as the bottom hole. Now there are two noise dampening pins which eliminate any rattles.I also make sure I grease the pins with white lithium grease,I have had great results. Give it a try.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I did a brake job on a 98 Accord. The lower caliper bolts are encased in plastic on the pin end. Has anyone tried these on an Ody? The caliper rattle is driving me nuts. I tried shimming the pins and it didn't help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Caliper pins.

Are you talking about a 98 accord that has a brake rattle? Or are you wondering if you can use that certain caliper pin on an Odessey? If you are talking about an Odyssey caliper pin rattle, just use the one I described in my origional post. I use the same p/n pin used in the lower pin application as well as the upper pin location. They have a rubber sleeve, vibration dampener to deaden any rattle noise. My 02 Odessey is quiet as can be :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I meant that my 00 Ody has an annoying caliper rattle. Your solution should certainly work. I measured 0.5 mm clearance between the pin and the caliper hole on NAPA rebuilt calipers and new pins. For shims I found that cut up pop cans were a good thickness to work with. I was hesitant to shim too tight.

The 98 Accord lower pins don't have the rubber sleeve, but are completely encased in plastic on the business end. I will grab what ever Honda/Acura pins I can find on my next junk yard hunt. If they fit, I'll try them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is this the noise when going over the small cracks on the road? I hear rattle whenever I come into our parking lot where there are small cracks and patches with tar. They are just tiny bumps and I always hear these rattle from front end.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The rubber parts you mention are part of the brake pad kit when you replace the pads with OEM parts. But most aftermarket ones also include them - I know mine did when I replaced the pads

·
Registered
119 Posts
I too had the hollow drum sound going over expansion joints or cracks in the road. One can test it by engaging the brakes a little and listen for the noise to go away. Replaced mine this summer and fixed it, of course the dealer is oblivious to the problem let alone the fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts