Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have recently had to lift the van into the air to try and diagnose the source of a creaking that developed in the right front corner. The creak is heard when lightly applying the brakes and at the onset of slight acceleration. There is no sound heard when coasting over bumps or turning unless under slight braking or acceleration.
According to my beautiful wife it started suddenly. Knowing the van is likely due for struts I chocked it up to a worn or perhaps slightly bent piston. I followed some great posts about strut mount issues, especially when cold like mine and read TSB's regarding this. After driving it for a bit I decided to check and this is what I found.
Right Sub-Frame Mounting 50237-S0X-A00.jpg

After a few gentle questions I discovered that the van was high-centered on a planted parking island. These things of course happen, especially on a high-waisted vehicle like the Odyssey. If you notice, the red line that is superimposed on the photo above, shows the alignment hole where the Honda Alignment Tool 070AG-SJAA10S would be inserted.

Front Subframe Alignment Mk.4.jpg

Comparing Right and Left shows a clear difference in the alignment, that thankfully, did not translate through the sub-frame itself.
Right Sub-frame Bracket.jpg Left Sub-frame Bracket.jpg

When force is applied to the bracket the exact same sound, that is heard from inside the vehicle, is reproduced.

Parts have been ordered and we will see if the creaking is fixed as a result.

Shipping Method: Best Standard Delivery

Part Description​
Subtotal​
Part No.: 50237-S0X-A00
Stay B, R. Sub-Frame Mounting
[Odyssey | 2013 | 5 Door EXL (LEATHER/RES) | KA 5AT]​
13.92​
Part No.: 90165-TK8-A00
Bolt, Flange (14X125)
4.38​
Part No.: 90161-SHJ-A00
Bolt, Flange (12X30)
1.46​

·
Registered
949 Posts
I love the part about coaxing the wife about the underside of the van! Can totally relate. My wife backed out of the driveway at a previous home. The end of the driveway while backing out had a curb and about a 18” drop behind it. Curbs must be just a suggestion to stop! Was fun as we managed to get half the neighborhood involved lifting the rear while attempting to go forward.

Yes hopefully it’s not too far bent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
360 Posts
According to my beautiful wife it started suddenly.

After a few gentle questions I discovered that the van was high-centered on a planted parking island.
Ha! Yeah, that'll do it.

The new bracket and bolts should fix it right up, luckily.

-Charlie

·
Registered
32 Posts
You are a genius. I hope this works on my van, as the sound is driving me crazy. I don't think I can tighten that strut any more without breaking it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, last weekend saw me hoisting the van onto stands and replacing the sub-frame mounting. A floor jack under the right rear portion of the sub-frame near the rear attachment of the lower control arm gave the whole unit the stability it needed to make this a 20min job.
I spun the bolts out with an air ratchet, replaced the badly bent piece (while noticing the sub-frame bushing was just beginning to tear on the portion that was excessively compressed and squeaking) with a new one.
Since I did not know the status of the bolts I also replaced them however they were unbent.
The longer 14x1.25 was a near perfect fit for the alignment hole and showed me that all was back straight.
I torqued the shorter M12 down to the factory specified 86 ft/lbs and the longer M14 down to 76 ft/lbs and dropped it back down to the ground, (checking the CV boots first as I always do) to test drive.

No squeak.

A trip down to my favorite Ukrainian for the $50 4-wheel alignment and it is like new.

Twenty bucks and 20 min for a whole new driving experience. Whew.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts