Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The front cupholder and coin holder where the pullout ashtray is in the dash, I find useless. I would much rather have an empty place for accessories such as cell phone or any small storage item. Honda made that space useless for me. I know I can block the holes in the cupholders, but I don't think I can eliminate the cupmolds that take up precious space. Anyone have any ideas how to make that space more useful? I think this thread would be here in General, possible in modifications so moderators please move if I'm in the wrong forum.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Yeah, they could have designed it better.

My Accords have had much better coin trays; I hate the coin-sized slots and would rather have an open tray for coins. In my Ody I have a small Rubbermaid plastic container for loose coins that I keep in the lower storage compartment.

However, I would not want to eliminate the cup holders. Without those, where would you place cups/cans?? I don't always want the fold-up tray in place. I find that the cup holders can actually hold a lot of misc stuff. I usually place my cell phone in one of them. I also keep a pen in there, and my company ID badge gets tossed into that holder when I leave work. Sometimes papers or a map get placed behind a can in the cupholder.

Of course with anything placed there you can't slide the tray closed, so maybe that's where it could be better designed. Maybe have removeable cup holders, like in the third row, and when removed the space is larger and more useful.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Cell phone holder??

I put the 12V charger cord through that hole in the front cupholder and then into the phone. My cell phone sorta just sits there in one of the two cupholders standing straight up. I also wish you could just lift out an insert and have a nice open tray if you wanted.

I'm going to try and trim one of the removable inserts off the rear cupholders and put it into the center tray cupholders as an insert which I think will allow the center tray cupholder to hold cans and smaller drinks more securely.

H

·
0 Posts
phone law

a cell phone holder is great use for the cup hole. NY passed a law the 'prevents' people from using cell phones in vehicles unless you have the hands free attachments. so maybe the NYers can keep their headphone in the cup hole. i have only has the ody for a week but i found the dash cup holder great for a large coffee and the flip try holders for other things since they have those rubber flaps (i.e. a rectangular juice box).

i do agree that the design could be better - i do not have 6 cd changer, or navi so i thought there would be more room. i have 6 or so cd's in the bin at the bottom.

maybe someone can start a poll of what type of music we listen too. i've got some baby music, jimmy buffet (it's been 90 degrees up here), lenny kravitz and crowded house.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does anyone having a problem opening or closing the Coin holder /Cup holder ?

It seems i have to struggle closing the tray due to a spilled drink to it at the same time the coin tray track seems sticky .

How do you remove the Coin holder / Cup Holder ? to clean sticky track.

·
Registered
239 Posts
We use the cup holder for obviously drinks and occassionaly to place cell phone, emp badge, as a holder while charging the cell phone and I dont mind having the coin changer actually.

With four kids we could use the extra cup holders anyway.

·
Registered
86 Posts
All I know is the coins rattle like crazy when we have that open, so most of the time it says shut. I agree about the accord design is better. I find the tray next to the seat is more then enough cup holders. It's nice to put my wallet on that too, and great little food tray.

:)

~marc ;)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Marc said:
Full Licensed July 23rd of this year, which is when I turn 16
Wow...an almost 16yr old driving? a minivan? Is this true? Is it your daily driver or do you have to arm wrestle the folks to get to drive it? My dad provided me transportation when I was 16...a 1976 Ford station wagon. I promptly suggested they let me use the newer 1982 Datsun 210 wagon (gee...that was the coolest car we had back then). "No...the Ford wagon is fine" was the answer. I just could not be seen at high school in that yellow Ford wagon so I had to cough up my own hard earned dough to purchase my own wheels.

Enjoy that van.

·
Registered
86 Posts
rlpenny said:

Wow...an almost 16yr old driving? a minivan? Is this true? Is it your daily driver or do you have to arm wrestle the folks to get to drive it? My dad provided me transportation when I was 16...a 1976 Ford station wagon. I promptly suggested they let me use the newer 1982 Datsun 210 wagon (gee...that was the coolest car we had back then). "No...the Ford wagon is fine" was the answer. I just could not be seen at high school in that yellow Ford wagon so I had to cough up my own hard earned dough to purchase my own wheels.

Enjoy that van.
:D

My mom begs for me to drive it lol. My mom hates driving if someone else is with her that can drive that's in the family. My daily driver is going to be a 97 EX Civic. We have 5 cars, and I drive all of them (F150, Ody, Civic, SS Camaro, Corvette) so driving the minivan gets old. Besides the much better seats and ride in the Ody, I like the Civic a little better. The brakes are a little too spongy on the Ody for me, and it feels wierd to me. It's also big, but I sure do with I had that HP in the Civic that the Ody has. Since the Camaro and Corvette are garage queens with low mileage, I'm sure if I have car troubles I'll be driving the Ody to school :eek:

My car & Me :):

~marc ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts