Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,

A few years back we started getting clunking in the front end when backing down our driveway and when going over speed bumps. The dealer said the front struts needed replacing so I had that done, but it didn't stop the clunking. Going back, they said the lower control arm bushings were worn so we replaced the LCAs and lubricated the steering column shaft. The clunking didn't go away completely but it was diminished a bit. Now a couple years later, the clunking is now worse than ever, and never really went away.

The dealer now says the front struts need replacing again, after maybe 3 years. WTF? Replacing the struts didn't fix it the first time, why should it fix it this time?

We know that the front motor mount is degraded, and one other motor mount is also degraded. But I don't think that's causing the clunking.

Any suggestions or ideas? Seems like the struts should last more than 3 years and the clunking never went away completely, so I don't want to put $1500 or whatever into replacing the struts again.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
Are you sure it's not just the brake calipers moving around? They can sometimes cause kind of a low level hollow sounding clunk...not real bad but almost like a rattle when going over minor bumps.

·
Registered
8,684 Posts
You can determine if loose calipers are the source of the clunking.

Apply the brakes lightly as you pass over a speed bump. If the noise is gone, it's calipers. (They are bound in place when braking, but they float when not.)

Dave

·
Super Moderator
1,194 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a pretty significant thump, far more than I'd think I would get from calipers. It feels like something is shifting in the front end and its mostly when the front end rocks left/right going over bumps slightly offset.

·
Registered
8,684 Posts
At least one person on the forum found that their clunking was caused by loose front subframe mounting bolts.

Go over the entire front end and ensure all the fasteners are tightened to factory spec. That would also be a good time to check the usual suspects - ball joints, end links, tie rod ends, etc.

IMHO, it's not a good idea to simply throw parts at any problem. That plan usually just empties your wallet and raises your frustration.

Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever get a solution to this problem? I'm getting the same noise in my 2006 Odyssey. It happens when steering at no speed, very low speeds, or when going over bumps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts