Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 ody front end vibration in the steering wheel, starts at 60mph
I have new tires,struts,stablelizers,tires balanced,alignment,ball joints and tirods checked,bushings checked. all new brakes and rotors
This vibration was with all the old stuff. Can anybody give me anything else it could be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have new tires,struts,stablelizers,tires balanced,alignment,ball joints and tirods checked,bushings checked. all new brakes and rotors
This vibration was with all the old stuff. Can anybody give me anything else it could be.
Is it shimmering/vibrating?
My 08 had similar issues. I replaced the CV-axels at 167xxx miles, now it’s 177xxx miles.
Cardone parts #
66-4225
66-4258
The original ones may wear out even though they look just fine.
If the axels are the cause, replace the left seal while you at it.
Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My 08 had similar issues. I replaced the CV-axels at 167xxx miles, now it’s 177xxx miles.
Cardone parts #
66-4225
66-4258
Good luck
Thanks

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Good chance it is the CV axles. I recommend you get genuine Honda axles. About $200 each. Aftermarket axles have a tendency to not last very long.

Reactions: OdyinNH

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ohh welcome to the most unknowing problem on 3rd gen Ody. Due the fact that Ody drivers like a civic, the front suspension needs to be in perfect order. How good are your tires? Other thing is check is your drive shafts. Driver's side should have no up down and forward backward play. The passenger side IMHO is a problem. The joint between sub shaft and a drive shaft should have no to very small play. If you have a lot of up/down play this may cause a imbalanced centrifugal force which will cause a vibration ~60. From all the Odys I cam across on a junk yard. Most had a lot of play. One had 0 play. Try to lift you car and try to wiggle passenger shaft up and down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cardone parts #
66-4225
66-4258
Good luck
replaced axils with no change

·
Registered
83 Posts
I kinda zero it down to brake cylinders warping rotors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm resurrecting this thread here because there seemed to be no resolution. I have an 06. Been trying to track down what I believe is a driveline vibration. I parked the van in 2012 because of this issue. It was bucking wildly! This summer I started to try to get it back in good driving order.

If you would, please read to the end where I ask a question...

So the symptoms when I started the project were: Horrible vibration when power was applied to the drive train as in hard acceleration or going up a hill. The vibration would almost completely go away when taking your foot off the accelerator. It would come right back when adding back in the gas.

First order of business was to install the VCM DIPressor. It seemed to function but I had to enable the greatest resistor setting to get the ECO light to stay off. It didn't seem to eliminate the vibration but it did change it a bit, not that it got any better, just changed.

Then I changed all 4 tires to new Michelins, checking for bent rims and ensuring that balancing was correct. I have my own tire changer and balancer. This again, changed the vibration but didn't fix it. It may have been slightly better because the old tires were slightly out of balance.

In August I drove from Alabama to Wyoming and back with this vibration, about 4500 miles. During the course of this trip, the frequency of the vibration increased, that is the chug, chug, chug got quicker, much quicker and actually seemed to smooth out somewhat. By the time I got back I thought I could live with it. I put another 1000 or so miles on it and the intensity of the vibration increased.

Today I replaced the driver side CV axle with a genuine Honda unit. Also noticed that brakes need changing...this week! Old axle was worn on the transmission side, you could shake it back and forth and feel it clunk. Test drive revealed that the vibration had again changed. Frequency (hertz) seemed to be the same but the intensity had decreased greatly and no longer increased when accelerating or going up hills. Now, you can feel the slight vibration all the time. It's not horrible but it's there.

Tomorrow I'm going to replace the passenger side CV axle. I'm hoping this fixes the problem. I'll keep you posted.

What I'm wondering is: How do I know if my wheel bearings are bad. They don't whine when driving or intentionally swerving but I'm wondering if they could be part of the problem and how I might check?

Thanks for reading and I hope y'all can help me get to the bottom of this issue!

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Welcome GRW62! Now I'm not a certified auto mechanic, I only play as one on my driveway! :ROFLMAO:
What I would do, with the front of the van on jack stands, check for play on each wheel. With hands on the tires at 3 and 9 o'clock (then at 6 and 12) push and pull with both hands- then push one hand/pull other hand and reverse. Feel for looseness/play. Play in one direction and not the other may indicate a suspension component- 3&9 might indicate issue with tie rod end whereas 6&12 might be the lower ball joint (iirc). Play in all directions and/or pushing in/out would indicate to me the wheel bearing. Also turn the tire and see if it's smooth or rough. No need to worry about being in Park or Neutral, with both wheels off the ground each will turn. (E-brake should be on, that acts on the rear wheels.)
There should be plenty of u-toob videos showing how to check for front suspension/wheel bearing issues.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I think replacing the passenger side axle has a good chance of solving your issue. I also suggest you get a better VCM muzzler device such as VCM Tuner II.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,748 Posts
It's also probably a good idea to inspect the intermediate shaft.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think replacing the passenger side axle has a good chance of solving your issue. I also suggest you get a better VCM muzzler device such as VCM Tuner II.
First off, the VCM Dipressor does what it's supposed to do. Unless it stops working, no need to change it.

As far as changing the passenger CV axle...the vibration that remained after changing the driver's side axle went away after I change the passenger side yesterday. I am so happy to get this thing running and driving normally again! Thanks to all of you who replied with your very helpful suggestions. Looks like I don't have bad front wheel bearings afterall!

Sometime soon I'll have to change the timing belt. Having done this on a couple of 03 TL's and 06 TL, I know exactly what I'm in for. At 145K miles now...just a bit overdue. I changed the 06 TL at 225K miles and I've owned it since 95K miles. Yeah, I know...talking about living on the edge!

Thanks y'all!

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
First off, the VCM Dipressor does what it's supposed to do. Unless it stops working, no need to change it.

As far as changing the passenger CV axle...the vibration that remained after changing the driver's side axle went away after I change the passenger side yesterday. I am so happy to get this thing running and driving normally again! Thanks to all of you who replied with your very helpful suggestions. Looks like I don't have bad front wheel bearings afterall!

Sometime soon I'll have to change the timing belt. Having done this on a couple of 03 TL's and 06 TL, I know exactly what I'm in for. At 145K miles now...just a bit overdue. I changed the 06 TL at 225K miles and I've owned it since 95K miles. Yeah, I know...talking about living on the edge!

Thanks y'all!
For timing belt, I assume you know to get the Aisin kit.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a 2005 (with bad front wheel bearings) for the last few years I would only drive the previous owner super older good friend who passed) to local medical appointments. I wondered why it sounded like a choochoo train... (Front break rotor would rub on splash shield, the rust bulge below swiped area of pad). Below 30MPH no noise (except choocho9o noise if it had been sitting), on a very smooth road (when I would go over 30MPH) I thought "Why does it sound like I'm driving studded snow tires?" I figured it was a slipped belt in a front tire or flat spots on the tires (since the van sat so much) ended up replacing tires and NO DIFFERENCE! As I barely ever drove van for 5 years (a few hundred miles each year) I did not obsess over it, but it was a mild puzzle. Finally when he passed, I got van. I drive it a bit more (not much with the pandemic) but that noise pissed me off now. What it is, is the drivers side bearing has failed a bit (I will do both sides when they are replaced) and it allows the rotor to move over SLIGHTLY (say a couple MM) and the rotor rust rubs on shield. Noise on highway speed is quite annoying, I go almost no where, but know I want bearings replaced... I do not want to dump $$$ into bearing replacement (not a simple or cheap task) UNTI: I flush tranny fluid, brake fluid and Power steering fluid (and drive it for months and confirm there are no problems). I don't want to drop $1000+ on bearings then flush tranny and have it start slipping. A tranny and or motor replacement/failure would total van (value wise)...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts