Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 Ody with 151000 miles is vibrating on idle. I thought the A/C was the culprit but the Honda dealer tech said that it's my front engine mount. Total charge to replace is $160 + tax.

I have changed my own timing belt but never an engine mount on any of my 4 Hondas.

Any advise in this forum will be helpful. I've already ordered the part.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I did mine a few years ago, very easy to do. It is visible below/left under the exhaust manifold. Remove the long 17mm bolt through it and the 14mm bolts into the block. Swap with new.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Removing the 17 mm bolt is going to be tough. There isn't much room down there. I can put a wrench but cannot turn it. I may have to remove the radiator and use a lot of PB blaster.

The part I have is a Honda genuine part.

I will put a jack with a piece of wood under the oil pan for support.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got it done. It took about an hour and a half. I Used an impact wrench and extension to get the 17 mm bolt through the mount loose.

I also had to disconnect a transmission tube to give me a little bit more space and had to remove radiator brackets and remove battery.

For DIYers out there, prepare to have bruised/bleeding knuckles.

The bad news is the vibrating noise when AC is on is still there, so Honda's diagnosis is wrong.

Any ideas out there?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
The vibration noise you hear, is it constant or only after you start the car for a short while?

If it only happens after you start your car and goes away, could be your ABS or powersteering pump making noise. Sometimes mine makes noise, but they all do after certain age.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Vibration happens when waiting for traffic light. When AC compressor is engaged and gear is on Drive. I am not sure it is the compressor because it disappears when van is moving.

I may be expecting too much from a 13 yo van with 152200 miles. But this vibration was not there before. It is much better after the front engine mount was replaced. I was just expecting a significant quietness and did not get it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts