Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've a 98 Ody with 168k miles.
Replaced the front axles myself last year.
I've been hearing a squeaking noise from my front end that has been getting worse over the last year.
When I apply the brakes it seems to be less.
When I speed up it increases.
*Might this be a front ball bearing issue?
I believe they are original.
Thank you,

·
Registered
455 Posts
What I did when I was looking for a squeak once was I got a can of wd-40 and sprayed only certain parts of the suspension, then took the car for a ride immediately afterwards. If the squeak was still there, then I knew to try another area. If it went away, then I knew where to apply the grease.

If the sound gets faster as the car moves at a higher rate of speed, then I'd guess that it's a rotor, something to do with the axles, and/or the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Wheel bearing noise does increase with speed but you're describing a squeak. Wheel bearings produces a low drone that gets quite loud.

·
Registered
90 Posts
theres a thin metal shield that helps deflex water and dust from brakes or rotors. it may have gotton bent when working on axles or brakes ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got into the brakes and sure enough it was one of the inside brake shields worn loose, slipped down and was riding the center hub. It had worn itself 1/4 away.
Sound gone.
Thank you!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have a squeak. When I start driving there is no squeak, but after braking a few times it starts to have a bit of a squeak. The more I brake, the louder and more constant the noise gets. Also when I turn right it gets louder. The noise goes away when I apply the brakes but will resume when the brakes are released. The brake pads and rotor are new and in the shop the mechanic could not see anything wrong. I have had the pads on and off repeatedly, no irregular wear on the pads or rotors

·
Registered
109 Posts
Can you drive slow in a parking lot and have someone try to listen for the location of it? Mine was the sway bar bushings up front, replaced and it is gone. Now i need to do brakes as they squeak unless braking and i notice more brake dust on front rims. Any chance you can rock the van in park and see if somethiing makes noise?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Shaking the van doesn`t make any noise. I took the brakes out, coated the back with anti-brake squeak, pushed the dust shield back a bit and put it all together. Now the van sometimes makes the noise, sometimes it doesn`t. While I am driving, the noise will start whether I was braking or not. Then it may go away and come back. It is now quite random.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Shaking the van doesn`t make any noise. I took the brakes out, coated the back with anti-brake squeak, pushed the dust shield back a bit and put it all together. Now the van sometimes makes the noise, sometimes it doesn`t. While I am driving, the noise will start whether I was braking or not. Then it may go away and come back. It is now quite random.
did you apply the grease on the brk pad ears? if it still does it, i recommend bg's brake stop squeal. just make sure that it dries to 10 min. at 75 deg f before putting it back on the calipers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yup, did the brake stop squeak/chatter. Helped a bit. Brought it into the shop, rear brakes were a little tight, they lubed everything up and found a split on one of the rubber boots. Noise is gone now, for now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts