Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still getting used to my new-to-me 2007 Odyssey; today I was trying to plug in my backup camera and a bluetooth phone transmitter into the front power outlets (both devices only work properly while the car is on and running - not just "on the battery").
The passenger side works just fine. But the driver side outlet only works "on the battery", even with the car running. It has power. But just not registering as the car is running, so it doesn't work to power my backup camera fully.

Thoughts on what this problem could be? Or is this a normal thing, somehow?

I've checked these both with multiple devices, so I know its the outlets as the issue, just confused as to why/what it is.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
OK, I'm confused.

What does this mean: "But just not registering as the car is running"?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I'm confused.

What does this mean: "But just not registering as the car is running"?

I'm not sure how to better explain- as an example; the backup camera works as a dash cam AND a backup camera. The dash cam feature works even if you just turn the key (but car isn't running) ie; on the battery.
But the backup camera only works if the car is turned on and running.

In the problem outlet -ONLY the dash cam feature works. Even if the car is running.The camera only acts as if its on the battery. Its like its not "registering" to the outlet that the car is running.. or something??

I have tried this with other plug ins as well and have similar results.
Hopefully that makes more sense.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
tlcphotographer said:

I have tried this with other plug ins as well and have similar results.
I'm not sure what results would be "similar" on other devices to one camera working vs. both cameras working. Perhaps some examples of the results with "other plug ins" would help.

Have you put a meter on the outlets to see how much the voltage changes when the Ody is running vs. when it's not? Maybe the "problem" one has a wiring issue and is not getting full voltage.

The easiest way would be to use something like this:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Agree that it would be helpful to check the voltage both when the ignition is in the accessory position and when it is running. These power outlets should work identically and there should be voltage only when the ignition is in the accessory position or is in the on position.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts