Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We just purchased a new 2011 Touring Elite, and my wife is having a hard time adjusting to the front seats. We think it is the angle of the seat bottoms--they are angled "backward," which aggravates her back while driving. Does anyone know if it's possible (via the dealer or otherwise) to adjust this seat bottom angle so that it's more flat (i.e., level)? It's causing her a huge amount of pain when driving for any length of time. She's tried using a foam wedge, and that helps, but we'd like to find a more permanent solution.

Thanks for any help!
Bill

·
Registered
108 Posts
This is exactly why we are hesitant to purchase an Odyssey. During the test drive, my wife couldn't adjust the seat to the point where the seat bottom felt comfortable to her. I had hoped that the upper trim levels would include an 8 way adjustable seat but that's not the case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 2011 Touring Elite. Yes, we've tried all the seat adjustments shown on that page. If you look at the seat from the side, even in it's most down position, it's still angled quite a bit back. If only it would tilt further down, it would help.

Do you think it would be possible for the dealer to adjust the mounting of the seat so that it's more level, or the position of the motor inside so that it can move further "down?" It's gotten so bad my wife is refusing to drive it. :(

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
301 Posts
This may not be the best solution but what about getting a seat cushion or wedge to help? I have a bad back and have had back surgery, any car causes some leg pain over an extended period of time for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, she's using a very thin wedge right now, and it does help a little, but it's not a great long-term solution. It would be great if I could find a more permanent solution.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Have you asked the dealer to see if they can make a manual offset adjustment?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is that possible? My next step was to talk to the dealer to see if there is anything they can do. It would be nice to know that it's possible if they give me a hard time about doing it.

BTW, is that what I should ask for, a "manual offset adjustment"? Just want to make sure I explain it to them properly. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Can you raise the back and lower the front? I thought that combination would make the seat flat or even face forward.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Don't have an Ody yet, but can sympathize with your wife on seat positions.
I find very few cars that I am comfortable in. I doubt that dealer can do anything for you in this situation. My only recommendation is go to an auto upholster shop and see if they can modify something for her. Pretty much anything can be done nowadays.
GL...

·
Registered
161 Posts
I was told by a mechanic friend that the seats are "bolted in" (meaning the slide rails that they are mounted on) and those usually can be adjusted (slightly) up or down. Other than that, I am not sure if there is any other adjustments.

What did the dealer say?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately, the dealer was of no help. No mention of beig able to adjust the "bolted in" seats slightly up/down. Then again, he just fiddled with the electronic seat contols and noted that the previous generation allowed the seat to be more flat.

The only thing he said was to try to take it to a custom shop that works on modifications for the disabled. :(

·
Registered
108 Posts
We test drove a 2011 again yesterday and it was the same for my wife in that the front passenger seat was uncomfortable for her. She felt that if she had a fairly thin foam wedge to change where the seat contacted her legs, she would consider the Odyssey.
After poking around the internet for some time, I came across a 15" x 13" x 2.5" foam wedge that comes with a cover so we're going to order one and try it on our Caravan which has the same seat discomfort for her.
If anyone's interested, here's the link:
Harrison Chiropractic Supply | Products | Seat Wedges for Patients
and no, I'm not in any way associated with this company.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I had this problem in reverse with my '05 and solved it by slipping several washers on the bolts between the FRONT mounting points and the floor, thereby elevating the brackets at one end. If it's possible, you might try this with the REAR seat bracket to floor bolts.

Caveat, there is a limit to how much elevation you'll get and it's not all that much - I'm talking less than an inch.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
You will never get a dealer to make a modification on a vehicle because it makes him legally responsible and Honda will not support him. This is true of any dealer of any product. The best answer you have already has which you poopooed is find a custom shop and see if they can help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
WE are having the same issues with our 2011 Odyssey. The family loves the car, but my wife can't drive it due to discomfort. WE have tried multiple afteremarket wedges and seat cushions to no avail. Does anyone have a success story? She has the exact same issues as BILHOD had. Also this is the first time she complained about discomfort in any car but she has complained from day one of driving this car.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
You might a hard cushion on the floor for her feet to rest on to take the weight off her legs. There is no way you will get a dealer to modify the seat if there is no official Honda adjustment due to liabilities. They just can't do it. Shimming the mount points is one way but you will have to do it yourself or find a local mechanic willing to do it. I would do it for myself but wouldn't touch it for someone else. Too many legal problems if she is hurt in an accident.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2012 EX-L hurts my lower back after driving it for awhile. The seat is angled too low. I should have test driven one longer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts