Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
193K Miles, 2008, vehicle. I hear a metallic clicking noise from front left side (strut tower, or subframe, or who knows where). It only happens in the neighborhood roads, slow speed, over crack in asphalt. Going over humps does not produce the sound. I have inspected the three bolts on strut tower, replaced whole strut assembly a year ago. A month ago I have replaced inner and outer tie rod ends (no play in steering rack); replaced lower control arm, replaced sway bar links. Practically, the front suspension is "as new". Alignment done - technician could not diagnose it. Said everything looks good.
I cannot check the strut center bolt easily. Could any bolts on the subframe be loose? Would bad rear engine mount be the culprit?
I plan on having the oil changed at dealership - will ask them to see if they can figure it out.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Update: the noise has now morphed in rubber squeak which I can identify as top of strut tower. I can hear it clearly when going diagonally over drainage lowering on intersections.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Could be engine mount.

Could be CV axle.

Could be something very simple like a loose heat shield or rotor dust shield.

·
Registered
70 Posts
193K Miles, 2008, vehicle. I hear a metallic clicking noise from front left side (strut tower, or subframe, or who knows where). It only happens in the neighborhood roads, slow speed, over crack in asphalt. Going over humps does not produce the sound. I have inspected the three bolts on strut tower, replaced whole strut assembly a year ago. Replaced inner and outer tie rod ends (no play in steering rack); replaced lower control arm, replaced sway bar links. Practically, the front suspension is "as new". Alignment done - technician could not diagnose it. Said everything looks good.
I cannot check the strut center bolt easily. Could any bolts on the subframe be loose? Would bad rear engine mount be the culprit?
I plan on having the oil changed at dealership - will ask them to see if they can figure it out.
Any ideas?
Thanks
I think, this is similar what I had when it was still under warranty (below 3 yr/36k miles).
I brought to Honda dealer and it only making noise if I drove maybe 25-35 miles over small crack asphalt.
Finally the honda tech admitted (he drove it and I told him to go certain road in certain speed with his foot coasting on the gas pedal). Finally Honda replaced the left front strut.
That only went away for a year and coming back again after that.
I would think the front left suspension design with a very hard spring cause that noise after things loosen up.
So now I use kyb for 3 yrs now, I occasionally hear that too.
The funny part if you are sitting in passenger side you won't hear what the driver hear.
So that's my observation.
Basically it's nothing wrong w/ it and will last as far as what I have - 329k

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Try and spray a lubricant into the top strut bearing and see if noise goes away.

If not, spray/saturate lubricant into both sway bar busing. Also, checks sway bar end links.

Finally, be aware you can spend thousands chasing this noise down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts