Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front Speaker Rain Shield

I was nosing around at the local car audio store (Audio Designs in Hicksville, NY) and I asked the gentleman there (David M. who, BTW, owns an '01 Odyssey) about how they handle the rain sheild issue for speakers larger (deeper?) than a Pioneer 1655, for example.

He said he knows some installers will use a dremel tool and cut the rain sheild until the speaker fits. What Audio Designs does is this: they take the shields out and heat them with a heat gun (hair drier) until they soften a bit. Then, they push the speaker into the rain shield so it deforms and takes the shape of the speaker. In this way, the back of the shield isn't removed.

They guarentee all of their installs for life, and they don't want anybody coming back because rain damaged the speakers. He said that after a few years, in some cars, there can be significant damage to speakers due to rain. I know that the door linings in my '87 VW became all moldy because of this leakage.

p.s. they don't install speakers that are deeper than the maximum clearance for the door. So they don't do this mod if the speakers plain don't fit.

Does this sound like an useful alternative to cutting?

Bryan

·
Registered
261 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by schuckb:
What Audio Designs does is this: they take the shields out and heat them with a heat gun (hair drier) until they soften a bit. Then, they push the speaker into the rain shield so it deforms and takes the shape of the speaker. In this way, the back of the shield isn't removed.</font>
I have just ordered a Pioneer TS-A1695, arriving next week.

So, did he really said that using a bathroom hair dryer would soften the plastic? Pardon me, I really cant tell the difference between the affore-mentioned HEAT GUN (v.s.) HAIR DRYER. THanks in aDvance.

------------------

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I'd be really surprised if a hair dryer would be hot enough to do the job. On the other hand, a real heat gun produces enough heat to melt just about any plastic; I even use mine to solder sheet metal, a task I find almost impossible with a soldering gun.

Mel

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by abyez:
So, did he really said that using a bathroom hair dryer would soften the plastic? Pardon me, I really cant tell the difference between the affore-mentioned HEAT GUN (v.s.) HAIR DRYER. THanks in aDvance.

</font>
Dave said they use a heat gun. I put in the hair drier comment (parenthetically).

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I've done something like this before. There are lots of other discussions in this forum on the use of rain shields and their utility.

One warning, if you use the speaker as a "master" when thermo-forming your door panel, be very weary of demagnetizing your speaker. Heat guns can get VERY hot, and you can significantly reduce BH in the speaker gap by overheating the magnet.

Just something to consider.
-SJ

------------------
-SJ (former username: shinjohn)
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts