Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got back from Honda after having them do a complete inspection on my 2002 Ody Ex with 218K miles. Every green box was checked off with the exception of what they claim is a power steering pump leak.

But they did provide me with a few items with estimated repair prices. And of course, they quoted me $1501.70 to replace the two front struts. And of course, I'm like "not a chance!" Changing out front struts does not appear to be that big of a deal.

Looking online for front struts, I find several brands available at prices ranging from $150 (for both) to around $250. Not bad. But if I am going to do this at some point I want a good quality part and not just something that will fail in a couple of years. The struts on my Ody right now are the original OEM and they feel just fine (not brand new fine, but not noisy or rough ride). So I'd like to replace them at some point with a pair that can reasonably last 100K. That would be plenty.

So then, asking only those who have actual knowledge or experience with good struts (or ones to avoid) to please share your recommendations and insights.

PS: I'm referring to the complete kit, spring and all. I have no way of compressing a spring and am not going to even try and end up lying faceless on my garage floor.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm not going to be helpful here.. but I'll say that I haven't specifically had BAD experiences with any struts. The factory ones of course just go whenever. THE most popular choice I believe is the KYB brands in which I've also used many times when I could find sales. However, I also just rolled the dice the last time and got a preloaded strut kit off amazon that was just pennies on the dollar (still had good reviews and many thousands) I don't remember the brand off hand. My strut mount tops were creaking and my spring was pinging (turns out it was actually cracked when I took it off so getting a full kit was a major win). So even the generic dirt cheap set has been running strong for at least 4 years now? Of course it's much much easier to change a whole "cartridge" than bothering to take off springs and reseat everything which I've been doing for 2 decades or more.

I think cost wise the struts alone for KYB when I found a discount was almost $300 for the fronts, and about $200 for the rears.

The preloaded set cost me like $250 shipped that included all the parts, springs etc and I had them in and out in probably an hour!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I went to Rock Auto and bought the Monroe units 171597 and 171598. I would recommend buying the stabilizer links too (Moog K90349) also since they were destroyed in the process of removing. I also did the rear shocks with Monroe 37218. Total was $360 back in 2014. Not a bad DIY project.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went to Rock Auto and bought the Monroe units 171597 and 171598. I would recommend buying the stabilizer links too (Moog K90349) also since they were destroyed in the process of removing. I also did the rear shocks with Monroe 37218. Total was $360 back in 2014. Not a bad DIY project.
So are you still driving on them 6-7 years later? How many miles you put on them? TIA

·
Registered
210 Posts
I know the OP asked about complete struts. But I used OEM struts from Bernardi. I moved the springs over to the new struts.

·
Registered
9,255 Posts
...they quoted me $1501.70 to replace the two front struts.
Any details on why they recommended replacement, or were they fishing?

The only visible signs of a defective strut are leakage or a broken spring (rare for 2002). A test drive could produce abnormal sounds or other anomalies, but I doubt they drove it.

If they can't adequately justify their recommendation, and if you are happy with their performance, I would leave them.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have the front KYB Strut-Plus complete assemblies for about 10 months , theyre good but hmmmm not much difference in ride from the excellent OEM 19 year old Showas ( they were leaky).

·
Registered
530 Posts
im running kyb struts now. have tried quick struts from gabriel and someone else. gabriels were ok, for awhile but the kybs seem to be just right,, very similar to oem. im using kyb strut and oem spring by the way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts