Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this in another thread. We have experienced it but in a different way. Over speed bumps and backing down the driveway entering the the road, the front suspension creaks. We haven't had the wheel turning one.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I noticed this in another thread. We have experienced it but in a different way. Over speed bumps and backing down the driveway entering the the road, the front suspension creaks. We haven't had the wheel turning one.
Interesting.. ours only did when turning the wheels at low speeds.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Mine dose it when I am turning right. It was not there before it just started
Yes...

Interesting.. ours only did when turning the wheels at low speeds.
and yes, again.

I will bring it up when I get my first free oil change, probably have a few more things to add.:D

·
Registered
196 Posts
once-a-day, it seems...

As I mentioned from that previous strut posting (in the other thread #37) and in the response in #38, it'll be a bit difficult for me to get the dealership service tech to reproduce this creaking until it gets worse, I think. :(

Still, I think it's a blessing it's not gotten worse so far? I've only noticed it in the first drive in the mornings when pulling out of our parking space, wheel turned to the right. The sound doesn't occur until I start turning the wheel to the right as I'm backing out. The sound then never reoccurs. If there was something wrong with my strut, shouldn't it happen all the time? This is really bizarre, no?

·
Registered
730 Posts
You might have to wait about 1 week for the dealer to get the parts in, at least I did...
Shouldn't be an issue, at the very least I'll get a loaner for the "we owe" gouge that I discovered on the lower valance at delivery. It's barely noticeable and I'm actually debating if I'll have it repaired. I'm afraid it could look worse after they fix it.

As I mentioned from that previous strut posting (in the other thread #37) and in the response in #38, it'll be a bit difficult for me to get the dealership service tech to reproduce this creaking until it gets worse, I think. :(

Still, I think it's a blessing it's not gotten worse so far? I've only noticed it in the first drive in the mornings when pulling out of our parking space, wheel turned to the right. The sound doesn't occur until I start turning the wheel to the right as I'm backing out. The sound then never reoccurs. If there was something wrong with my strut, shouldn't it happen all the time? This is really bizarre, no?
Mines slightly worse, but tolerable (to me), my wife won't even notice it unless I point it out and say it's not right. I can recreate it but need to load the suspension and make hard turns. Even doing that the creak is not consistent (other than hearing it).

·
Registered
427 Posts
Shouldn't be an issue, at the very least I'll get a loaner for the "we owe" gouge that I discovered on the lower valance at delivery. It's barely noticeable and I'm actually debating if I'll have it repaired. I'm afraid it could look worse after they fix it.

Mines slightly worse, but tolerable (to me), my wife won't even notice it unless I point it out and say it's not right. I can recreate it but need to load the suspension and make hard turns. Even doing that the creak is not consistent (other than hearing it).
In my case I drove the van while waiting the 1 week for the parts to come in.
The sound (Creaking) will get worse with time. You are correct, many people won't even notice it, I seem to notice everything...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found this page while researching the strut noise on my 2011 Ody. I thought I would add my tale as I am now on my 2nd strut replacement.
I took delivery of the new Ody the end of February and noticed the noise right away. Creaking while pulling into parking spots. Creaking while breaking right or left into a turn. I took it to the dealer and they could not find "anything wrong ... can't hear any noise". Before I left the lot the car was creaking again. I went back in and took the car out with a mechanic. Long story short... they changed BOTH struts (after waiting a week for shipping). The problem was resolved for a few weeks but returned again this week. The car is now at the dealer again (for the Audio recall too) and they tell me they are putting on another new strut on the left side (tomorrow!). There appears to be no answers as to why... so frustrating. Mean time.... I just wrote another car payment check for a car that appears to me to potentially have more than an issue of 'a bad strut'. I drove a 03 Ody for 8 years... no problems... : ((

Not happy... and without a car again!

MK

·
Registered
730 Posts
I found this page while researching the strut noise on my 2011 Ody. I thought I would add my tale as I am now on my 2nd strut replacement.
I took delivery of the new Ody the end of February and noticed the noise right away. Creaking while pulling into parking spots. Creaking while breaking right or left into a turn. I took it to the dealer and they could not find "anything wrong ... can't hear any noise". Before I left the lot the car was creaking again. I went back in and took the car out with a mechanic. Long story short... they changed BOTH struts (after waiting a week for shipping). The problem was resolved for a few weeks but returned again this week. The car is now at the dealer again (for the Audio recall too) and they tell me they are putting on another new strut on the left side (tomorrow!). There appears to be no answers as to why... so frustrating. Mean time.... I just wrote another car payment check for a car that appears to me to potentially have more than an issue of 'a bad strut'. I drove a 03 Ody for 8 years... no problems... : ((

Not happy... and without a car again!

MK
Welcome, too bad it's less than idea circumstances. Keep us updated on your progress.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We've been having the same problem with our 2011 Odyssey. The creaking sound comes from the drivers side at low speeds and primarily when making right turns, but can also be heard sometimes when making left turns. We determined also that it depends on how many people (i.e. weight) is in the vehicle. I had it at the dealer about 45 days ago. They loaded a couple techs in the vehicle to weight it down and they were able to reproduce the problem right away. They replaced the upper strut mount which took care of the problem.

However, within the past week or so the creaking sound is back again. I took it back to the dealer yesterday and they were once again able to reproduce the problem by loading up a couple people and going for a drive. The dealer contacted Honda Tech Line who suggested they remove the strut mount and lube the assembly. The dealer just called and said they did this and it appears to take care of the problem. We'll be picking up the vehicle later today...hopefully this will take care of the problem for good (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
730 Posts
We've been having the same problem with our 2011 Odyssey. The creaking sound comes from the drivers side at low speeds and primarily when making right turns, but can also be heard sometimes when making left turns. We determined also that it depends on how many people (i.e. weight) is in the vehicle. I had it at the dealer about 45 days ago. They loaded a couple techs in the vehicle to weight it down and they were able to reproduce the problem right away. They replaced the upper strut mount which took care of the problem.

However, within the past week or so the creaking sound is back again. I took it back to the dealer yesterday and they were once again able to reproduce the problem by loading up a couple people and going for a drive. The dealer contacted Honda Tech Line who suggested they remove the strut mount and lube the assembly. The dealer just called and said they did this and it appears to take care of the problem. We'll be picking up the vehicle later today...hopefully this will take care of the problem for good (fingers crossed).
And, welcome to you. Again, keep us updated if the problem comes back. We can all benefit.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have notice it after 1000K!
Im almost at 3000K and it getting worse!
dang you already have 3,000,000 miles on your ody? :D

i also mentioned this to our dealership and since they didn't have the

fix to it yet, i didn't bother them any longer. Either way, i knew i was

gona get the same answer so might as well, wait for the fix. Please keep

us updated guys!

·
Registered
427 Posts
any updates?
Yep, after having both struts replaced 2 months ago.. have to have them replaced again.. starting to make same creaking again.. GEEZ... I would expect this on the Hyundai van, but not the Honda, LOL! I wouldn't be surprised if there is a TSB or recall eventually.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Yep, after having both struts replaced 2 months ago.. have to have them replaced again.. starting to make same creaking again.. GEEZ... I would expect this on the Hyundai van, but not the Honda, LOL! I wouldn't be surprised if there is a TSB or recall eventually.
Did you read this earlier post? (see below). The problem might not be the strut(s) themselves but the rather poor strut assembly materials which lose moist after time. I had a very similar creaking problem in my "made in Japan" cars, and after changing the parts a couple of times as part of a TSB the dealer gave up and went the old route, applying silicon based lub.

They replaced the upper strut mount which took care of the problem.

And BTW, watch those Koreans closely, Hyundai is now beating many of the historically good brands in quality, engines, MPG... you name it. The problem is that the Hyundai and KIA minivans never got the new Hyundai design language nor the new focus on quality (and Hyundai no longer sells minivans anyway, KIA was left to carry the ugly duckling by itself)...

Allright off-topic :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Did you read this earlier post? (see below). The problem might not be the strut(s) themselves but the rather poor strut assembly materials which lose moist after time. I had a very similar creaking problem in my "made in Japan" cars, and after changing the parts a couple of times as part of a TSB the dealer gave up and went the old route, applying silicon based lub.

And BTW, watch those Koreans closely, Hyundai is now beating many of the historically good brands in quality, engines, MPG... you name it. The problem is that the Hyundai and KIA minivans never got the new Hyundai design language nor the new focus on quality (and Hyundai no longer sells minivans anyway, KIA was left to carry the ugly duckling by itself)...

Allright off-topic :)
Sorry, I've never had a strut creaking or sound problem in any of my other Jaapanese cars, including my current Infiniti M56X. This sounds like a car with a lot of mileage when it isn't, LOL! It's obviously a defective/poorly made part and we'll see if Honda ever fixes it or etc. Sorry but just putting lube is not going to fix it permanently, it might make the sound go away for a certain amount of time, but it will come back.

Yes, I will be putting the lube on myself and see what it does..

Yes, Hyundai is better than they used to be, no doubt. But they still can't beat the historically good brands at resale value which for some people matter, unless you are going to drive it forever. The Kia van, sorry doesn't compete with the Oddy, other then being cheaper to purchase upfront.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts