Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Save yourself from tearing apart the front head to fix this oil leak. Sadly, Honda doesn't sell the gasket and you need to buy the whole VTEC assembly, this also requires you to remove the front valve cover and camshaft assembly to replace it.

Make sure the assembly (that is taken apart in the video) is squeaky clean. Spray the inside of the housing with brake cleaner and make sure no oil is on the surfaces, this will ensure the hondabond has a strong...bond :)

In this video, I show applying the liquid sealant on one side. You may want to apply it on both sides of the gasket to make sure it won't leak. Also, you DO NOT need to remove the short bolt, only the 3 long bolts.

The technical name for this assembly is called the front rocker arm oil control valve assembly. We'll just call it the VTEC assembly.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Nice video.
i guess there's no replacement gasket. I went by the dealer today and i had no luck for my 08.
I'll be using that Honda sealer. Thanks for the video.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
MrRanger: I just watched this video, as I may soon be doing this on my 2010 Odyssey EX-L. I have 2 questions.

1. You say in your original post: "Sadly, Honda doesn't sell the gasket and you need to buy the whole VTEC assembly, this also requires you to remove the front valve cover and camshaft assembly to replace it." However in your video you easily remove this assembly to apply the sealant without removing the front valve cover. I am confused. Please clarify.

2. Your later link to the new gaskets on Amazon refers to 2 gaskets (15845-R70-A01 and 15815-R70-A01). Your video only shows one gasket. Where is the 2nd gasket?

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MrRanger: I just watched this video, as I may soon be doing this on my 2010 Odyssey EX-L. I have 2 questions.

1. You say in your original post: "Sadly, Honda doesn't sell the gasket and you need to buy the whole VTEC assembly, this also requires you to remove the front valve cover and camshaft assembly to replace it." However in your video you easily remove this assembly to apply the sealant without removing the front valve cover. I am confused. Please clarify.

2. Your later link to the new gaskets on Amazon refers to 2 gaskets (15845-R70-A01 and 15815-R70-A01). Your video only shows one gasket. Where is the 2nd gasket?

Thank you.
The part I removed is a portion of the valve assembly. What you can do is buy the whole assembly, take out the gaskets, and install them in your van. To remove the whole assembly you need to remove the rocker arms but in this case to fix this leak, you don't need to, just the top portion you need to remove.

This video has the OEM valve and aftermarket gaskets links: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18WOVpwmRqY

When I filmed the original video in this thread, I didn't know there were 2 gaskets. The second time when I removed the valve, I discovered that there are two gaskets. The original video fix worked for me and others but I decided to just change the gaskets with the OEM gaskets. (Bought the whole valve assembly and took the gaskets from it to install it on the van)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for posting this second video with the replacement of both gaskets. I will be doing this on our 2010 Touring to fix my "dipstick tube leak" when the eBay gaskets come; $12 for a set of two that look the same as those in your video. There were even cheaper ones on eBay and Amazon, but I went for ones shipped from within the US, even though they are probably Chinese made also. (isn't everything Chinese made these days?)

So what happened to your second locating dowel? I think it was there in your first video. Not lost in the engine hope.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for posting this second video with the replacement of both gaskets. I will be doing this on our 2010 Touring to fix my "dipstick tube leak" when the eBay gaskets come; $12 for a set of two that look the same as those in your video. There were even cheaper ones on eBay and Amazon, but I went for ones shipped from within the US, even though they are probably Chinese made also. (isn't everything Chinese made these days?)

So what happened to your second locating dowel? I think it was there in your first video. Not lost in the engine hope.
Good eye. I lost it, found it later :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi, i am a bit confused with the replacement part. Autozone says this is a fit for my 2011 Ody

but it looks different than the video.

And this one on amazon looks closer to what you have in the video

·
Registered
5 Posts
alright, i am about to buy the Hondabond HT from Amazon, $15, and what solution should i use to clean the oil on the surface?

Regarding Hondabond, i was told the following
"Don't use any sealer. If it gets into the valve assembly you'll have more work to do. "
so what should i do? I am concerned of not having the place sealed and the same issue will happen again. but do not want to "live on the edge" and put myself into more issues.

·
Registered
219 Posts
So I used Permatex Ultra Grey, which is pretty close to Hondabond from what I hear. I put on an extremely light coating.

Permatex does not recommend this kind of product for gaskets. They say it is too thick and you should use something like this:

If you use it, just a very light coating and don't get it on the screen (I did initially did that).

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I have done this repair twice, on different vans. Once on 2010 and once on 2011 Honda Odysseys. Both time, I bought new Honda assemblies and used them, without the bottom most piece, for which you need to take valve cover off.
Spray the area with brake clean and clean it best you can from all the debris, before you unbolt the old assembly.
This way you will be dealing with only a fraction of the oily mess and reduce chance of contamination of oil passages.
Do yourself a favor, since you already saving money on doing the job yourself, get Honda part and sleep well at night after the repair is done.
I have seen both vans after the repair and everything looks squeaky clean.
Finally, this issue has a nasty side effect, the oil drips directly onto the alternator and its only a matter of time it kills it.
Both of these vans also received new alternators, as separate repairs at later times.

I so wish Honda sold the gaskets, which would reduce the parts costs to nearly nothing vs buying entire assembly at $100+.
I don't have feedback on RTV method, as that seems a short term repair to me.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hi, i am a bit confused with the replacement part. Autozone says this is a fit for my 2011 Ody

View attachment 153233
but it looks different than the video.

And this one on amazon looks closer to what you have in the video

View attachment 153234
Never trust amazon/auto parts store fitment guide. The bottom gaskets and what I showed are the correct gaskets.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
alright, i am about to buy the Hondabond HT from Amazon, $15, and what solution should i use to clean the oil on the surface?

Regarding Hondabond, i was told the following so what should i do? I am concerned of not having the place sealed and the same issue will happen again. but do not want to "live on the edge" and put myself into more issues.

View attachment 153237
Buy the OEM assembly, take out the gaskets from it, and replace the old ones. Refer to post #4.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Buy the OEM assembly, take out the gaskets from it, and replace the old ones. Refer to post #4.
OEM = not official Honda? this is from your other post

"You'll need these 2 gaskets:
15845-R70-A01
15815-R70-A01

"

So the amazon product i shared above, would be fine right? Specifically chose amazon for the swift shipping

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OEM = not official Honda? this is from your other post

"You'll need these 2 gaskets:
15845-R70-A01
15815-R70-A01

"

So the amazon product i shared above, would be fine right? Specifically chose amazon for the swift shipping
Yes those will work.
OEM = Original Equipement of Manufacturer

1 - 20 of 24 Posts