Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
If anyone can recommend a good product to clean the oil before detaching the solenoid, and the surrounding area, where i can buy from AutoZone (or Amazon if i can get it using Prime 1-2 days), that would be very appreciated. (i know someone said BRAKE CLEANER up above but i am very new to this and "hand-holding" would help me a lot. Not looking to buy expensive stuff, but not want to be cheapskate to a point i would lose more money in the long run.

My alternator will definitely have to be replaced - if people think this is a DIY task as well, i would want to attempt it (provided the tools are not that expensive).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Lot of DIYs for alternator. Main thing is too take your time, (take a lot of naps, when you must!), look at posts, look at youtubes, take pictures before removing every 5 bolts or so with your phone so you can put it all back. Enjoy it, work slowly!

Go to auto parts store, buy brake cleaner in a can, store brand. Cover the alternator with a rag to keep fluid out of it when you spray, I would cover the serp belt too.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My experience with this... when I took it apart I found shreds of old RTV around the upper gasket - I guess the previous owner had tried to fix it. The old RTV wasn't holding up well.

I replaced both gaskets with ~$5 Ebay aftermarket ones. The lower gasket was really hard and brittle. Put a light coating of Permatex gray on both gaskets. It's been a couple of weeks and the leak is gone...

21 - 24 of 24 Posts