Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got most everything off, axle nut, rotor and the four bolts that hold the wheel bearing housing but the housing doesn't seem to want to come off. Is there something I am missing or do I need to take the whole thing off and bring it to a shop to be pressed out?
Did a search but couldn't find anything. TIA

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think the easiest way to tackle this problem is to remove the knuckle first. After that, you can separate the bearing housing from the hub by screwing four long case hardened bolts into the housing and then hammering on the bolts. This breaks the corrosion locking the bearing housing to the hub. (Screw the long bolts into the same holes out of which you removed the 4 smaller bolts that hold the bearing housing to the hub.) EricTheCarGuy shows the procedure on an Accord similar to the 1st generation Odyssey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEDrioMDe1k

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry, what my last post described was the process of separating the hub/bearing together from the knuckle. After that you can use a hammer and a large socket to separate the hub from the bearing. EricTheCarGuy shows both steps in his video.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I will pull the whole thing and take it to the machine shop. I hate popping ball joints and tie rod ends. Hammering on my car just feels wrong.

It was fun finding the problem. Terrible noise whenever the car was moving. Thought brakes, tires, even transmission. Jacked it up with the wheels off and put into drive. The bad wheel bearing was so tight it wouldn;t rotate. Had to touch the brakes to even up the friction left to right! The frustrating part was my temp gun didn't see a difference left to right. I guess there was so much metal in there it dissapated the heat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update, with my mechanic's slide hammer the hub/bearing would not come out. Not even move! I pulled the whole upright and it took us an hour with heat and a big press to get everything apart. The bearing race was toast, it took a pneumatic chisel to get it off the hub.
Everything went back together without issue and the bearing is nice and quiet now. Problem is now I can hear a squeeky rear strut and a couple other new rattles!

·
Registered
336 Posts
quattroguy said:
Update, with my mechanic's slide hammer the hub/bearing would not come out. Not even move! I pulled the whole upright and it took us an hour with heat and a big press to get everything apart. The bearing race was toast, it took a pneumatic chisel to get it off the hub.
Everything went back together without issue and the bearing is nice and quiet now. Problem is now I can hear a squeeky rear strut and a couple other new rattles!
I bet that squeak is from one of the shock or knuckle bushings being torn. I have replaced 5 or 6 of them now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts