Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 2013 Odyssey needs a front brake job, which I'll do, but the threads on one of the studs is messed up and needs replacement. Can I replace the stud without taking the hub off, while I replace the brakes or does the hub need to come off?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
My wife's 2013 Odyssey needs a front brake job, which I'll do, but the threads on one of the studs is messed up and needs replacement. Can I replace the stud without taking the hub off, while I replace the brakes or does the hub need to come off?
Here's a trick that I've used on some vehicles when there isn't enough room without removing the hub. I can't speak to the Odyssey 'cuz I haven't stripped one (yet).

To get the old stud out, use an angle grinder to cut it shorter, then hammer it "in". The shortened length will give you enough clearance.

To get the new one in, grind down part of the head, then angle the stud in. The flattened area may give you enough clearance to get past whatever is blocking the head. Don't worry, you won't be taking off enough to make the stud unsafe. If this method works, the most you'd be taking off is a small area of the flange and maybe, just maybe, a little of the head. If you have to take off more than what you feel is safe, it's time to pull the hub.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I replaced a hub years ago after having a nut cross thread on the stud. I attempted at the time to drive out the stud but ended up removing the hub assembly. Do not try to take the hub bearings apart! The hub is modular and unbolts. Just be careful to remove the wheel speed sensor prior to unbolting the hub or it can be damaged. Ask me how I know about that!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
If the damaged threads are not involved when the lug nut is seated/tight, consider just running a die to clean them up.

Reactions: oldskewel

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
That can work as long as the lug nut doesn’t weld itself to the stud and then breaks off the stud! The result of letting an inexperienced user help me rotate the tires one time....

You gotta learn somehow but this one was a bit painful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts