Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

First I would like to say Thank You to everyone who has contributed to this forum. I have recently acquired a 2003 EX-L w/Navigation and I have already solved a lot of the common problems it had on my own. You guys have saved me a ton of money already!

The latest problem I've been trying to solve is the front wipers not turning off unless the car is turned off. After I have replaced the front wiper motor, as suggested in previous posts, but now I can't get the wipers to line up properly.

When I turn the motor on then off. I figure that would be the position where i can install the wiper arms at the lowest setting on the windshield. But when I turn the wipers back on, the arms travel down about 4 inches and get stuck in the plastic cowl cover. Meaning when I turn the wipers on they go down about 4 inches before going up to clear the windshield. Right now I have the wipers set in the middle of the windshield so it doesn't hit the plastic cowl when turned on. But even in this position, when the wipers are at the highest position, the driver's side wiper doesn't go to the edge of windshield on the driver's side. Normally it looks like the wiper would be nearly vertical before coming back down the windshield but currently it stops short about 2 inches.

I've tried various ways of connecting the transmission to the motor and installing the wiper arms in various positions but am having no luck. Is there a special procedure to set up the wiper motor with the wiper transmission?

Thank You in advance for any comments/ replies!

·
Registered
242 Posts
The short link/cam that goes from the motor to the windshield wiper linkage sure seems like a likely candidate. Its initial orientation is critical since it will dictate whether the wipers initially go up or down, etc. Did you happen to mark its orientation before you disassembled things?

Anyway, if I’m reading your post right it seems like you have tried adjusting it. But if you haven’t already tried, is there a way that you can play around to find the orientation of that link for which the wiper linkage switches from driving the wipers down to up? Maybe just loosen the nut on the wiper motor and turn the link manually in the direction that the motor turns it? Haven't played with that myself - I'm just tossing out a suggestion/thought.

Hope things work out soon.

As an aside, here is a cool (simple) animation that shows that small link/cam doing it’s job:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/wiper1.htm

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
mem is right that attaching the cam to the linkage is the only adjustment. This attachment is done after power cycling the motor, which you did, to set it to the park position.

Is this a new motor? It sounds like its internal control system is faulty. You should not have to separate the motor from the transmission either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!

It is not a new motor so unfortunately I can't return it.
Fortunately, however, I only paid $20 for it and the car doesn't need to be turned off for the wipers to stop. I'll just have to live with it for now. I'm starting to collect the parts necessary to do the timing belt. The van has 170k miles and I know the timing belt has never been changed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
mabuhay said:

The latest problem I've been trying to solve is the front wipers not turning off unless the car is turned off. After I have replaced the front wiper motor, as suggested in previous posts
Okay, someone suggested it... but did anyone tell you how to replace it...? I need those instructions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts