Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Honda dealership yesterday to possibly purchase an 08 EX-L. Showed up at 2:30pm. Salesman said right away they were planning on closing early with no notice and reg hours 5pm closing on website. Drove the used 08 EX-L and liked it. They took my 08 Grand caravan SE with add on DVD roof system & aluminum rims. 60K, needs tires & has a crack in front plastic from snow bank...otherwise spotless. Asked if they could talk to broker Tuesday to get an accurate estimate. When asked why they can't determine an estimate now like every other dealership they talked about wholesale,etc,etc. Gave me a quick estimate stating $9000. KBB & Edmunds both show trade in $11,400-$11,800. Was needing near this to make offer work for my budget.

Don't think they are going to move lower on 08 ody..said 23,500 with towing package of $915 (which turned out they forgot PS cooler,duct & install for 3hrs labor). Thinking of dropping towing package since nothing immediate to tow.

guess used Ody's are gold plated or something...lol

Then again...really nice van!

·
Registered
137 Posts
BEST THING TO DO: tell the dealer that toyota was offering you 12k for the dodge and if he wants to do business he will reconsider their offer for the dodge

(worked for me) :D

·
Registered
632 Posts
Ody's resale value is usually higher than domestics most of the time. I guess chopsticks are more expensive than double cheeseburgers. lol.

·
Registered
412 Posts
So, you're trying to buy (at retail) one of, if not the, best, most-desirable, best-for-resale, most sought-after, most-reliable multi-passenger vehicles on the planet... (meaning, you're paying for the privilege)... ;)

And you're trying to sell (you call it a "trade-in") at wholesale one of the least-reliable, common, easiest-to-depreciate, least-desirable as a used-vehicle vans out there, the ubiquitous Caravan, with obvious damage, minutes before they close for business for the day, and you pressure the guy for a purchase quote, and he lowballs you a price just to shut you up... :rollingeyes:

And you don't see anything wrong here? :tongue:

That's like you buying anything at retail (say, a "collectible" gold coin), and trying to resell at wholesale (say, on eBay), and trying to make a profit. Doesn't work that way. Dealer has to make a profit on both transactions, and the profit comes from you. :nothappy:

You need to figure out how to negotiate a little better before you start dickering for a vehicle. Good luck with your newer-car project... :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow, and a nice welcome to the forum to you too. :tongue:

Frustrated yes, pissed off no. I left out mention of numerous emails and a few phone calls with same salesman who expected me in that day..that afternoon...and it was the salesman who was pressuring us to hurry..enough that I spoke with sales manager who said ...no, we are done at 5pm...take your time.

As for the quote. I have never run into a situation where a dealership had to get back to me on a quote...especially after taking the vehicle around the corner to the shop to inspect and bringing it back...so it was strange to me.

I will however take your advice and take some classes on negotiating..rofl:rollingeyes:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Vermonter. Welcome to the forum. While the other post was perhaps a little harsh, the salient points should not be lost in it.

When I went searching for solid 2-3 year old minivans, I was surprised at how all the Toyota Siennas and Honda Odysseys were easily reselling for $25k+, and how numerous Caravans were only $7-9k and Grand Caravans barely getting over $10k. Even when the new Grand Caravan came out with some great add-on features, within 1 year I was finding used ones being dumped on the market for prices that were quite compelling...and scary to be on the owner-side of.

While I think there are plenty of decent American cars out there, apparently the Caravan/Grand Caravan has one of the worst resale values of just about any car. The Sienna and Odyssey on the other hand have one of the most amazing resale values that can be frustrating when you're on the buying side of it.

From my family member who is a sales manager for a larger Toyota dealership, you won't get anything more than $1k UNDER the trade-in value from a dealer, and that's assuming you have properly set the condition as well (chances are the dealership considers your vehicle one notch lower on the condition scale than you do, even if you think you're being realistic about it).

I wish you luck in your efforts. You'll generally get GREAT advice on this forum about the Odyssey you're looking to buy than on the vehicle your trying to sell or trade-in (unless it's also an Odyssey).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my wife the brand new LX in 2000 for...$27k in October - I had to import it from Canada in order not to wait 6 months - I still have the car for her - in the meanting I have had a 99 Accord Ex, a 2001 Ex, a 2006 BMW 760 LI, a 2010 Yukon, and a 2011 XKR vert - but somehow every year, we keep that minivan...It has only 57k miles on it, it is the car of choice for the family trip, the dog (bullmastiff), and I have spent MAYBE $1500k on the car since new... That's all I can say

·
Registered
252 Posts
I am surprised they even offered you $9K as there are 10's of thousands of Grand Caravans/Town & Country coming off of lease and being traded in right now. In 2008 when the first gas price hit and nobody wanted SUV's Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep offer 0% financing and $1k's under invoice on 2008 models and sold tons of these vans. This applies to Jeep as well. The auction houses are packed with Grand Caravans due to off-leases and rental car company returns. A dealer knows the Odyssey will sell for a premium so paying anything more than wholesale for your van would be a losing money, even if your buying a car from them. Go to CarMax and that is about the best you're going to do. My friends dealership will only take Jeeps that are up to 3 years old, Limited/Overland w/4x4 and < 60k miles. Any other they take to CarMax for an appraisal and offer $500 less. Chrysler may have helped a lot of people get into cars/vans/SUV's but they simply destroyed the resale value doing do so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, today I am a happy odyssey owner.:D

Light blue, grey leather, with 39K on it. Very nice...was only able to drive it home from dealership but hoping to go for a better ride tomorrow.

Need to pick up a few things like mud flaps and find a set (hopefully used) of steel rims for snows. 2 car seats bases already installed and the 3rd seats are down/mat installed for the St.Bernard. Anyone recommend a 12V bottle warmer..:tongue:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts