Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that a new odyssey will take significantly more fuel in the break in period? I got only 270km from 51 liter.Also,
What type of fuel would you recommended, regular or premium? Please advise

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes, a new car always takes more gas to break it in. As for regualr or premium, depends on what kind of driving yu plan to do, if it's something that requires towing (I assume not, since you're in break-in period) or is harder on your engine, go with premium. For day to day driving I use regular, no problems so far.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm a new owner: four days. I'm extremely upset at the gas mileage. Taking it out from where the tripometer is now, I'll be getting something like 12 mpg! That's awful. I called the dealer to ask another question, and he told me that it would take 15,000-16,000 miles before I could expect good fuel economy. That dern well better be a crock of cranberries. What can I really expect with careful driving and little A/C use? I'm very, very disappointed.

·
Registered
585 Posts
That doesnt sound right at all. Are you sure you're doing the math right?

The easiest way to test fuel is:

- fill thank up
- reset the tripometer
- drive for a couple of hundred miles
- fill up again & record:
(a) current tripometer reading
(b) the # of gallons you just put in

Here's actual #s from my first drive:

144 mi/6.889 gal = 20.9 mpg

Granted 144 miles is probably not enough for a fair reading...I would run the tank down like 3/4 or more empty to get a more 'accurate' snapshot using this method. The fewer miles you have; the more skewed it could be becaue of sitting in a parking lot idling, etc.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanx: I'm trying to be patient, and that's not my strongest character trait. Sure is nice to have a forum on which to vent.

·
Registered
88 Posts
2 week olg GG 01 EX. First fill up = 20.9 mpg; second fill up = 21.9 mpg. When the fuel guage is at 3/4 empty, I can put in about 11.5 gallons. JEFF

·
Registered
47 Posts
Using the trip meter, I've been measuring my Civic's mileage for years.

The method works well, over time. You fill up, set the meter and drive. When you fill up again, write the trip meter miles and the gallons down. Do that five or six times (assuming you use at least half a tank) and you'll find it fluctuates very little after that (if you continue the same driving pattern).

If you only do it once, you are leaving yourself open to all sorts of errors. If you don't top off (and you shouldn't), there can be a big difference - maybe as much as a half gallon, that you can pump before it automatically shuts off.

But over time it should work well.

EDITED:

Want to add that you should calculate based on totals. Don't take the average of the last five trips to the pump and then average the new value - add up all six trips miles, and all six trips fuel usage, then divide.

You can take the simple average and not do this, but it'll take longer for it to be very accurate, and it won't be as accurate.

[This message has been edited by gfxguy (edited 06-26-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts