Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surprised to see, when I stopped for my first tank of gas on my new 01 EX, that the gas door can not be accessed if the sliding door is open. I'm sure that I can get used to this, but I'm a little worried what might happen if one of my kids opens the sliding door during refueling. Anybody had this happen? Did it do any damage?

------------------
Jeff Matthews
2001 Odyssey EX

·
Registered
35 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fatalei:
I'm sure that I can get used to this, but I'm a little worried what might happen if one of my kids opens the sliding door during refueling. Anybody had this happen? Did it do any damage?

</font>
Opening the fuel tank (at least on an EX) automatically locks the sliding door to prevent just such an accident.

Carrie

[This message has been edited by LuvMyRRPOdy (edited 02-18-2002).]

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you open the fuel door first the Odyssey auto-locks the rear door so that it can't be accidentally opened and cause damage.

There is a way to override this so the door can be opened, I think you have to cycle through the "lock/unlock" a certain number of times and then the door unlocks again while the fuel door is open.

So, while not impossible, it's highly unlikely that you would incur any damage from this scenario.

Scott

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you are willing to deal with some potential inconvenience, you can also set the child locks so that the door can't be opened from the inside handle.

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask, Donnelly ECT Mirror,
ROSS Back-up System

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not only does the door lock itself, but if you unlock it from the inside (to try to get out) it instantly relocks. Several cycles will allow you to open the door, but the motor is still deactivated so you must manually slide open. This process is so slow that it won't hurt anything. Honda is good.

------------------
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would like to add my $.02 to this discussion. I have yes, and will admit it, done this while detailing the ODY. Had all the doors open and reached in van and pulled the gas cap door lever to open up the door to dry and wax the inside of it. Yes you guessed it the sliding door was open, what a mess.... No damage to the van but had to get a 5 gallon paint stick tapped the end up with a sock and reached up between the inside of the door and van to push closed the gas cap door. So now I keep this in the van just in case it happens again. But it's good to know that you can override the door to close it since I couldn't get the door to move.

------------------
2002 TW EXL-RES, Cargo Tray, Mud Guards, Bug Shield, Fog lights, WeatherTech mats and of course the boys

·
Registered
596 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 4theboys:
I would like to add my $.02 to this discussion. I have yes, and will admit it, done this while detailing the ODY. Had all the doors open and reached in van and pulled the gas cap door lever to open up the door to dry and wax the inside of it. Yes you guessed it the sliding door was open, what a mess.... No damage to the van but had to get a 5 gallon paint stick tapped the end up with a sock and reached up between the inside of the door and van to push closed the gas cap door. So now I keep this in the van just in case it happens again. But it's good to know that you can override the door to close it since I couldn't get the door to move.

</font>
"Thank you, O lord, for putting 2 of on the Earth at the same time! Now I don't feel so utterly STUPID"
I did exactly the same thing. Same fix too.

Fred

[This message has been edited by FW_in_OKC (edited 02-26-2002).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts